Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Newbie alert, stupid questions!!!!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by PetSlayer, Sep 21, 2006.

1. PetSlayer

PetSlayer IncGamers Member

Newbie alert, stupid questions!!!!

Hello everyone!
    I'm new here, but I am one of those that puts Diablo under hobbies on the cv , and never managed to do much, cept for the first Diablo (still have the cd, but hell, the fact that those don't run is tiring:sad2: ).Always played single player, no internet access from home for most of the time, so I am stuck with my original+enpansion (1.07). And I have to say that when I find Wirt dead, and he spills all the money and his leg, I'm glad, for he always ripped you of when you got something from him, and most of the time was genuin crap...not mentioning that I am not surprised by Cain's manners, he used to to ask for 100 gold for each item he identified, and sometimes if you were out of luck, it was worth less then what you payed to identify it in the first place.But allow me to cut the carp:rolleyes: and try to make a list of really stupid questions:

1. Is my version really compatible with windows 2000, coz it freezes the whole bloody computer sometimes if there are too many things on the ground, or I'm in a big battle...quite annoying, I lost sooooo much gold and so many items that I cannot recall, no keyboard control works, its like alt+tab doesn't exist!

2.Yesterday I read here about ATMA, and I decided to give it a try, and the bloody thing has no useful help button or newbie instruction manual, so...it seems that I lost a bunch of uniques,set items and other usefull stuff that I was planning to move around and all the money that I moved in the atma bank.Anyway, I did look in the atma folder that I have in program files, there are some .org files, but they don't appear on the atma screen,and when I tryed to open them it didn't work, so, seriously, I have no idea how to get back at them and I do know I clicked on the save button a lot, but Bob knows where my stuff vanished:cry: I just got a prompt saying atma has generated errors, and the whole window vanished.

3.Does the 1.07 version have a bug, so that one cannot transmute runes?

4.Because I don't have a partition on the hdd, I can't change the os , so I wonder if I should give up, and try to dl a patch for my game...would all my characters be upgraded automatically?Coz I do have my old ones that were run on a windows xp, with the same install, but all one can do is take them for a spin, coz the pc saves NOTHING.So I just have them in a separate folder, and play with them a bit, coz they are older then the ones I have now, and they look better.

5.I still have a Sir on a cd, from the non upgraded D2, would that work if I copy and convert him to LoD?That one was created on a win 98.

6.Oh, he killed the big guy at lvl 27...which triggers the next question...what lvl should a char be when you can safely move to the next act?Coz I'm preety skillful with the killing, and I was usually done with the whole thing around lvl 35 something...and I did have nasty surprises in the past going in nm with a lvl 35...until I read here that you have to do every map for several times for experience...

Well, thank you very much,I go kick some monster ***:wave:

2. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

1. it's compatible with OS, but it seems that you have problems with you computer. I would guess that it's an old computer or you have some problems with cooling / power supply.

2. In the first post of stickied Atma / Flavie thread there is a link to guide to Atma for beginners. Otherwise Atma is pretty easy and user-friendly program to understand...

3. hmm, not sure with transmuting gems, that recipe were there from the beginning? 1.07 can't upgrade runes though IIRC

4. Definitly download a patch, it's worth it. Only those characters who you will load and save will be converted.
    I don't understand the rest of question...

5. you can still play the classic characters as classic or you can click on convert to LoD button any time you want.

6. I don't know much about 1.07, In 1.11 I usually go to NM around lvl40, if I am considerably lower, I do few Baal runs.

EDIT: Oh and Welcome here!

3. Spearthrower

Spearthrower IncGamers Member

Words of wisdom:

There are no stupid questions.... only stupid questioners.... :p

Just kidding, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers - like this one ;)

Welcome to the SPF.

Beware anything with 8 appendages... it might just be the Giant Squid.

*looks around menacingly with harpoon lofted and ready*

Spearthrower
    Thrower of spears

4. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Welcome to the forum, BEWARE of shin kickers!

5. MedctnStn

MedctnStn IncGamers Member

yeah, i still have the bruises to prove it

6. crazymatt1

crazymatt1 IncGamers Member

Don't worry about 8. 8 appendages is probably just some friendly octopus.

7. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

greetings new person, welcome to the mad house, i mean the spf :p

*kicks PetSlayer shins*

/runNway

8. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Deaddave, he already got a bruises and you still kick him..

9. PetSlayer

Hello again!
    "I fasten my mittens, one green and one red..."then I dilligently and gracefully share the joy of being received in your community by kicking back all the shins that I can see...seems to me that is the local way of greeting, so why would I be rude?
    Thanks for the "clean the dust off your bloddy fans" advice, I came in yesterday in the afternoon, said "told ya so" and put the pc apart....purrs like a kitten and it didn't freeze last night, so I just threw myself a party, even tho the stuff I lost in the pits of ATMA still cannot be found...but speaking of swedish(I remember seeing a post about the local verbs), it's a practical cute language sometimes, like they have for example a sweet verb, "att hamstra", that comes from hamster, and more precise, the way hamsters gather things constantly...and that it's what I did, so oh well, I lost some cool stuff....THAT I NEVER USED!The ones that I really wanted, I have them already on my ppl, those weren't lost, so all is nice and fruity:D
    So, to continue...what is your advice, which patch should I get for my 1.07, so that it doesn't ruin all the fun for me(read about some diminishing of the dmg and such on inferno and some others)?
    And...What in the name of Bob is all this squid thing???I mean, I had one for dinner yesterday with some serious garlic sauce and wine, but I smell that is not the real deal...*scratches, goes in front of the boat to check and gets a good grip on the harpoon*
    Pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaase spread your words of wisdom over your naive companion!

10. PetSlayer

Gah, ok, did some more reading around here, and now I gotta go (bleah),and I got some new ones...
    1.What in the name of Bob is player/8, and where do I get the reading about it?
    2.If I get lets say the 1.11 patch, does that mean that all the ppl I have from all my games on all my computers(I have them on cd), if I take them and move them in the save folder in the d2 directory before I install the patch...will they finally work? Coz now I can see them in the game screen, I can take them out for a walk, but no matter what, the map is not saved, no leveling is done after save and exit...NOTHING is saved, they stay exactly the same as when I got them in.Only the ones I built on this pc work.
    That would be awesome, for my first D2 ama is with me, and I still love her, even if she has the lousiest build ever, and fights with a socketed sword I used to be very proud of that makes incredible dmg(I thought:p)

11. Spearthrower

Enter the game, hit enter, type /players 8, hit enter.... go hit a monster! :) You will see!

Basically it emulates an 8 player game (funny that!) which means monster HP's go up (so do Mercs and pets) and more items drop (less no drops occur) and you get more experience per kill.

As for question 2, I really am not sure what the full story there is, I think to get help on that you need to start from the very beginning and walk through everything that happened step by step chronologically. I think I know what you mean and I am pretty sure that you have made a mistake in your files somewhere, but I need you to write it out clearly so I dont make a mistake in advising you what to do next.

12. crazy_bear

crazy_bear IncGamers Member

Sounds very much like your files are read only to me.... if you've already tried this then sorry for pointing out the obvious...

I should let one of the guys that knows better answer, but I think when you load chars into the game they get upgraded to later versions at the time they are loaded in

Players 8 is a command that can be used to simulate having more players in the game. It causes the game to behave (in terms of monster life and drops) as if there were 8 (unpartied) characters in the game instead of just you in single player. You use the dialog box along with the command. Exactly how the command is phrased depends on the version you are running.

Welcome to the SPF

CB

13. PetSlayer

First of all, thank you, will go try tonight if I can't sleep:grin:
    Story...so I played D2 on two computers before the one I use now:mine, 233MMX windmill, hdd the size of a snot, had only the game and some small programs and the windows 98 on it,and no room to play with the expansion, but I did play for quite a bit, even tho it had such liltinypityfullRAM that when the battle was hot, I could actually see how the graphics worked, and how the money and the items were jumping out of ...whatever they were jumping out of:jig: . I also had the luck of having my brothers pc for quite a while, when he was in the army (2200,nvidia,ludicrous amounts of RAM, win XP professional, dolby...the works and them lovely wires all over the room, and my feet on the subwoofer, lovely feeling when you are in the battle and the whole thing shivers with excitement and horror-the whole street KNEW I was home), so I built a lil army on that as well...When I left the country, I took all the characters with me on a CD...and when I installed the game in my machine here, the weirdnesses started.What I have now is 1800, nvidia, nice RAM, BUT...win 2000.Now win 2000 is built as far as I recall on the win NT, which was a server thingy, that doesn't make it very friendly to games.When I saw that I play with my loved ones, and when I go back, no matter what changes I made, including going a level up, they look exactly like the day when I took them off the cd! I did think that I might have done something wrong, and got them as a read only file, BUT...I got atma the other day, as I said, and took one of them in it, and took the Angel wings from its stash and put it on my newborn necro, that had the Angel halo and didn't use.While on ATMA, the two items didn't seem to "see" each other, but the moment I went in the game, after that ghastly accident in which I manage to lose somehow a ton of crap, 1.the amulet was there,2. the ring and the amulet were seeing each other and I got the partial set bonus and all (not bad to have 986 or something AR on a lvl 26 necromancer me thinks).
    Which made me think that they are maybe not read only files, for I wouldn't have been able to use their stuff I presume .
    That is why I asked about patching, maybe if I put them all in the save folder, and apply the patch, they will start reacting, being all upgraded with the same patch.Oh, and I did take some of them from the win xp to win 98, and they were fine...they are just dead on this one...hell, I used my ama to brag on other pc's as well, when i first killed Baal with a lvl 35 and noone believed me.
    And I do think that it might be something fishy with the os, because a lot of games have problems on it, but you guys know computers better then I do for sure!
    So I gratefully wait for an idea, which patch I should get, and how should I do.And...what is the squid thing?:scratch:

14. Spearthrower

I really dont think this is to do with Operating System (OS)..... it may have an affect on a game but not on the individual files like this.

The first thing to do is just to double check as crazy bear said:

Go to the character files on your hard drive. Use 1 as a test. Select it and R Click it then choose Properties. Make sure the Read Only button is unchecked.

If that isn't the problem, then I am guessing that the character registry entries will need to be deleted/modified. That may be why ATMA can deal with them, but your PC cant save them.

Hakai should know more about this from what has happened in ATMA - anyone seen him?

*looks around*

Maybe he was taken by the Giant Squid

*goes hunting*

15. PetSlayer

Thank you Speary:) And btw, welcome back, I saw your thread last night, and I realised that I saw you here first time I lurked on diabloii, and because I didn't truly went inside the forum since 2003, I supposed you were around all the time...

So again, thank you guys, feels good not to be a lurker anymore, maybe I'll finally manage to make some progresses.(Oh, and I think I got the idea with the squid, I'll be prepared next time I smell something fishy, and I go dl the 1.11b patch, coz seems everyone uses that, and maybe is time for me to be more...open to new stuff:wink3: )

Happy hunting everyone, I'll stay behind and watch the masters at work:wink2: !

16. Spearthrower

Well then... Welcome back! :)

Definitely go for 1.11 - it does seem to have increased the difficulty of the game somewhat over 1.09 which is a good thing in my opinion. Still havent found any of the new uniques... but given that I no longer have any of the old ones either - it's no loss!

I hope your characters are getting sorted out - if not, make some new ones!!! ;)

17. mrfrost

mrfrost IncGamers Member

That's alot of questions..I hope this helps

I am new to these forums myself, though not to Diablo. I would highly recommend you update to the 1.10 patch from your 1.07 [Gold edition - I'm assuming] patch that you are currently and have been playing. Updating to the 1.11 patch may seem more logical, but I personally cannot recommend it for Single-player play. The benefits aren't worth it.

Your OS (Win2000) is compatible, I am currently running the same OS. However, I have also used over the last two years, Win98SE, and WinXP. The latter are just as compatible.

Those .org files you refer to need their extensions changed to .d2s

A file with the .org extension is generally a backup file generated by ATMA. Since you keep hitting the "save" button generously, you are probably generating many backups, depending on how many you have set by default.

Well, hello everyone, I hope to post more in the future, for now this is my first. Good day.

18. Llathias

Llathias Banned

Welcome to the SPF, PetSlayer and mrfrost!

The .org files are the backups, .d2s are character save files and .d2x ATMA stash files. First of all, I suggest checking if the original owner of the Angelic Wings still has the amulet (if that is the case, the one on your necro has been duped). I too believe that your characters are read-only, especially because you brought them back from a CD, in which they're stored as read-only I suppose.

Now, if that solves your first problem, let's take a look at "the case of the mysteriously disappearing items". What exactly did you try to do that resulted in the items disappearing? If you created a stash to put the items in, and can't find that stash anymore, try "File --> Load .d2x file". If you've tried to transfer items to your read-only characters, well, you most likely couldn't, and if the original source was "savable", then the only way to retrieve those items is loading backups, either the .org ones or the ones on the CD.

About versions... Well, obviously 1.11 is the most popular, being the most recent one. One thing you should know about upgrading to 1.10 or 1.11 (after all, they're identical with the exception of 11 new runewords, lessened FE dmg in Hell, 3 literally useless keys and a screwed up Fangskin drop) is that your older characters will probably be too weak to continue playing. Many have taken their lvl 90+ uber cookie cutter 1.09 chars to 1.10 and died on the first run. The monsters are significantly beefed up, and you're practically required to make use of the synergies to stand a chance. On the other hand, the need to start over with new characters will be an excellent consolation if you can't menage to save your old characters' progress!

19. PetSlayer

*kicks the door opened and sneaks in carrying a tray with simmering bread and freshly baked muffins, coffee, milk, orange juice, butter, orange jam and salami*

Breakfast anyone?

Well, thank you again guys!

The damned things were read only, of course...the day they'll have memory on sale, please announce me, I used to know/use that trick,as I had to deal with that moving issue for several times before, but I seem to have somehow forgotten.

As for the .org files, I found them, but I don't know how to read them on ATMA, and I am not sure if I understood correctly...should I edit their name, and change the name via the normal rename, or is there another way?Coz that is something I haven't done before.

I also dled the 1.11b patch, but after reading the 1.07 guides I am not sure I want to install it, it seems that my old 1.07 has certain advantages.
    Also decided to stay Vanilla (even if I like chocolate more), I remember the only time when I was invited to play an tcp/ip game with an aquintance, and he showed/gave me some incredible stuff for the char I built for that game, and after an hour I was bored out of my mind, because everything seemed too easy, and after asking a few questions I discovered he had tainted the game....Felt awfull, I actually deleted the char right away, and didn't talk/played with that person since.And never since even thought of playing other then alone.

As for what I lost (main thing, Black Tongue, the only unique I had on this new batch of chars), ATMA crashed while I was moving things from the chars in the stashes. And no, the char from which I took the amulet didn't have it in the stash anymore when I opened it, same for the rest of the things. I had only 19 items out of 40 that I moved. Bob knows, I have a cranky IE that crashes every now and then just to make a point that it does what it feels like and when it feels like.

*looks at the time*

Ugh, gotta go now, feel free with the breakfast, I bake tasty bread:wink3:

Will be back in a few hours.

Happy hunting everyone, and watch your back Speary, I smelled some squid in the last few days!

20. Jude

Jude IncGamers Member

Can't you just change the permissions to make them read & write? Once you copy them from the CD to a writable hard drive, that is? It's pretty easy to do on a Mac (Select the file, choose File>Get Info from the main menu and then change the permissions. Or select a whole folder do the same and check apply to exclosed items). There must be some way to do it with Windows, too, right?

Jude