Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Newb Sorceress Help

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ForeverandAlways, Aug 9, 2010.

1. ForeverandAlways

ForeverandAlways IncGamers Member

Newb Sorceress Help

Hi everybody!

I'm really bad at Diablo 2, especially in terms of where to put my stats and skill points.

I found this guide on Google:

Link to item selling site removed.

The rest of it is ok, I just wanted to make sure that this advice is good advice for a newb sorceress:

So he says not to put anything into energy, I can probably understand that from someone who can get good gear easily, but is that wise for a newb on singleplayer to do? I kind of thought Sorcs were pretty dependant on plenty of mana?

Also what does 'Alternate' mean? I know what it means but in the form of D2 I don't really understand.

Basically I have also followed his Blizzard build guide, would you agree it's a good choice? I'm a level 15 now so I can't start a new char if I've messed up but any tips on how I can still maintain my sorc and get her to become powerful?

I have 40 stat points to spend as I shouldn't really have spent any without asking on here, but any of you D2 pros can hopefully let me know what's the best place to input the stats and even the skills; I have one in charged lightening I think it's called. 5 in Icebolt and 1 in ice armor. Is this ok?

Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2010
  2. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Re: Newb Sorceress Help

Hi, welcome to the SPF!

/kicks shins, crotch, and takes wallet

So he says not to put anything into energy, I can probably understand that from someone who can get good gear easily, but is that wise for a newb on singleplayer to do? I kind of thought Sorcs were pretty dependant on plenty of mana?

Ever since Blizzard patched in Mana Potions, the need for mana via Energy (NRG) has greatly diminished. Just drink a potion and ta-da, you're back at full mana. In 1.10, they also patched in the runeword 'Insight' (note there is a runeword mod you can download so you can make 'Insight') that when put on the act II town guard mercenary, increases your mana regeneration very noticeably. There are very few exceptions of when you would need to invest points in NRG, the notable ones being:
    1. Energy Shield Sorceress.
    2. Early game (Levels 1 - 30ish).
    3. Infinitecast builds.
    In your case, your Sorceress will really lack mana early game, but once you reach mid game/late game, you will have plenty of mana to work with for the most part, even with half-assed gear. In previous patches, people refused to put points in NRG because there was no option to respec (hence it was better to tough it out at lower levels), but in 1.13c, respec tokens and respec quest rewards were brought into the game, so feel free to throw points into NRG early on, but don't bother with them later on in the game once you respec.

Also what does 'Alternate' mean? I know what it means but in the form of D2 I don't really understand.

It means the same thing in D2. (Alternate: 35. No higher.) --> Feel free to go as low as 35, instead of pumping it to 45-50. (Alternate: Boost via equipment. Do not go over 35 without equipment.) --> Feel free to bring it to 35 instead of 51. Etc.

Basically I have also followed his Blizzard build guide, would you agree it's a good choice? I'm a level 15 now so I can't start a new char if I've messed up but any tips on how I can still maintain my sorc and get her to become powerful?

If you're playing 1.13, then you have the option of respecing your character if you screw up. After completing the Den Of Evil Quest (Act I, Quest I), talk to Akara and there will be a "Respec Skills/Stats" option. Note that you can only do this once per difficulty, but you may collect Respec Tokens once in Hell that allow you to do it more. As for the quality of the guide: considering it was Last updated 7/30/10, it's a decent guide. You can probably find a better one in our archives.

I have 40 stat points to spend as I shouldn't really have spent any without asking on here, but any of you D2 pros can hopefully let me know what's the best place to input the stats and even the skills; I have one in charged lightening I think it's called. 5 in Icebolt and 1 in ice armor. Is this ok?

If you plan on grinding bosses (Hell Mephisto, Hell Andariel, Hell Pindleskin, in particular) at least a good 100-200 times, you can reasonably expect your final gear to be at the very minimum:

Helm: Harlequin's Crest
    Weapon: The Oculus/'Spirit' Sword
    Shield: Lidless Wall/'Spirit' Monarch/Moser's Blessed Circle/Stormshield/Visceratuant
    Armor: Skin of the Vipermagi/Skulder's Ire/Tal Rasha's Guardianship

See here for item details.

Adjust STR and DEX accordingly to equip all those items. You can choose to max block, which is done by pumping DEX. See here to see how much DEX you need. With the rest of your points, put them into VIT. Some prefer not to max block and focus on VIT primarily. If the shield does not have at least 60% block rate, do not bother going for max block. With regards to skill progression, read some of our guides, they should tell you how to place skill points.

Anyways, hope that helps, good luck with the Sorc, may your drops be gold and green.

3. Mantis

Mantis IncGamers Member

Greetings...

I can not offer any advice on dueling/PvPing or Battle.net game play as I do not engage in those activities. However, if you are looking to play off-line (single player or LAN games), are going for PvM/PvE (player vs. monsters/environment) action, and you're starting a Sorceress as your first character, I would recommend the following:

1 - get ATMA/GoMule setup (gear/item management made easy but does not work with battle.net)
    2 - get RWM setup (Runewords outside of battle.net)
    3 - read Sasja's Meteorb Sorceress guide to build a Meteorb Sorceress (PvM build)

...then read:
    4 - Jiansonz's guide to untwinked play
    5 - Timinator's guide to twinked play

...and then start my Sorceress.

Untwinked Play = playing and leveling your character without gear/items that are:
    - hard to get
    - expensive to craft
    - high level

Twinked Play = playing and leveling your character with good gear already acquired or donated to you.

===========================
    You can safely ignore my advice if you plan on dueling/PvPing and/or playing on Battle.net.
    ===========================

The guides will answer many questions (including your question about skill points), provide you with a road map to follow, a large set of strategies/tactics, leveling advice, gear advice, and save you a lot of time and frustration. Most of all you end up being very self sufficient.

- Where/how to setup AMTA or GoMule, and RWM (http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760286)
    - Sasja's Meteorb Sorceress Guide (http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254070)
    - Jiansonz's Low Level Untwinked Magic Finding Guide (http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620901)
    - Timinator's Low Level Twinking/Fast Leveling Guide (http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445060)

Why Sasja's guide and why Meteorb?
    A duel element build (fire/frost) that won't leave you stuck at the end game. This means using Fire spells against Cold Immunes, Cold Spells against Fire Immunes, and using Static Field to assist your Mercenary with any monster who is immune to both Cold and Fire. This is what I would call a thinking man's build, where you avoid your opponent's strengths while attacking his weaknesses. This guide gives you a step by step skill point allocation list so you will know where each point goes at each stage of the game, and provides gear advice. This is the build guide I started with. Again this is PvM oriented not PvP.

My personal advice aside from the guides.
    If you are playing untwinked in patch 1.13c you could plan on adding some points to Energy early on to make it easier. Once you've acquired some good gear you could use a reset and move the points out of energy and into Vitality or Dex. As for STR I prefer get STR to 60 within the first 20 to 30 character levels using a combo. of stat points, gear, and charms so that I could equip plated belts. Plated belts allows for 4 rows of potions, but have a minimum requirement of 60 STR. I tend to save some stat points (20+) just in case I need to boost STR/Dex to equip an item. So, I don't invest in Dex unless I need to and I would look to use gear and charms first before investing points in Dex.

What will Jiansonz's do for me?
    This guide is all about playing untwinked while increasing your chances of finding gear with magical properties while leveling. Gear/Items with magical properties is what you want of course. Just know that Jiansonz guide is not a speed leveling guide. What you should look to extract from this is how to get your first 10 chipped Topazes working for you, when to gamble and what item(s) to gamble for, what to power shop for. Take note of any STR, Dex, or Level requirements on the gear. If you follow the strategies/concepts in this guide expect to make many trips back to town to sell stuff to build up your cash reserves, which you will need for shopping/gambling.

What will Timinator's guide do for me since I'm playing untwinked?
    This guide is the converse of Jiansonz's guide. It assumes you have access to good gear to start a fresh character with. If you are playing untwinked the point of reading this guide is to extract the strategies/concepts of fast leveling and how the gear is employed to achieve that goal. For example, it is suggested that one use gear loaded with Jewels of Envy (20 Poison Damage over 2 Seconds) in the early levels. However, you can substitute the Jewels with chipped Emeralds in a 3 socket Hunter's Bow or Long Bow. Using a Bow and arrows means using no mana at all, but be aware of Dex requirements on Bows. The chipped Emeralds and Envy Jewels add poison damage, which is leathal in the early levels. You will most likely park your starter gear in ATMA or GoMule once your character reaches the late teens to mid twenties, and switch to caster oriented gear to support spell casting.

4. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Welcome =)

First off, while the guides are helpful, now that respecs are available, don't feel too pressured to follow them specifically. Feel free to learn and experiment as you get acquainted with the game. Pre 1.13, once you set a skill or stat, it was permanent, so guides were important in saving people from having to do it all over again. Now that you effectively earn 3 respecs (1 per difficulty) and can earn an unlimited amount if you choose to do so (tokens from essences), you have a lot more freedom to just try things out. There's a lot to learn in D2, and personal experience can help quite a bit, especially when it comes to understanding the details of the guides you use.

5. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

Welcome! :)

Everyone has given good advice. I would echo those who say to relax and have fun. Go ahead and put twenty or thirty points in energy, because it will make the lower levels more enjoyable. Get a skill to high levels and fry/freeze/burn those monsters to smithereens.

Make sure to save at least one of your respecs for later in the game after you have had a chance to kill Mephisto in Hell difficulty 1-2 hundred times. At that point, try to put as few points in strength and dexterity as possible, no points in energy, and lots in life, focus on a primary skill (like blizzard) and a backup in another element (like fireball, for instance), etc. At that point, guides will make a lot more sense, anyways.

And if you get stuck somewhere, post your character and problem situation here! I'm sure you'll have more than enough helpful suggestions... :p

6. ForeverandAlways

Wow thanks for all the replies!

Yeah sorry I didn't explain exactly what I'm playing, basically Single Player Normal (not hardcore) unfortunately it's on 1.12 :( But I guess I can download the next patch then start again if I get into a checkmate and I can't kill anything.

Yes I see how infact energy isn't nessecarily needed, I've played some other RPG for a little while and they tend to focus on building your mana up but as D2 does allow potions whenever needed- it does make sense not to have any more than base mana, so thanks for that advice.

I've run into an armor issue, I'm not really sure exactly what I'm looking for in gear-wise stats. I've just killed Andariel and she dropped a green and two golds: Havoc Flange, Cleglaw's Pincers, and Beast Chain.

So yeah I can't really decide if I want to use them or not, but if anyone knows what gear-stats I should be looking for that would be great.So for example: Strength first, if not strength then try and find enhanced damage etc. and just go down the list of what is the most important stat to what is the least, or if there's a guide that will list the most important gear-stats that would be great. Thanks again for all the tips guys and the warm welcome.

7. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

I don't think you need to restart to run the new patch - just connect to battle.net, let the new patch install, and open your character in the new patch.

Looks to me like you got 2 rares and a green - at any rate, the stats to look for differ by character - but for a Sorc, +skill, resists, faster cast rate, mana per kill are all good things to look for. Skin of the Vipermagi is extremely hard to beat for questing, and isn't ridiculously rare. Chromatic resists, +skill, and FCR all on one item.

My experience with a MeteOrb is that you want to get your merc to be as tough as possible so that he can tank for a few seconds until the meteors start landing. Vampire Gaze, Rockstopper, Tal Rasha's are all good hats, and good armors include Duriel's Shell, Shaftstop, and "Smoke" (Nef Lum) in a good 2os ethereal base.

8. xxnothing

xxnothing IncGamers Member

Good advice here, but keep in mind OP is still in the early game. Items like Skin of the Vipermagi are a ways off yet. :)

Early on, I recommend looking for socketed items, as well as rares (yellow). Green (sets) and gold (uniques) can be gravy on top if you find any. Just be sure they have stats on them that are helping you in some way relative to how you're playing. As far as socketed items go, use gems and jewels in the sockets to help you out. For example, diamonds in shields for + to all resits, or sapphires in helm or armor for +mana if you intend on playing as a caster early on. If you go up to patch 1.13, feel free to put points into energy and respec later on.
    Allot of people play melee through the early game until the more potent spells become available, along with better gear to power the mana needs. If you go that route, look at socketed weapons, bows, crystal swords, etc. and stuff them will various gems for elemental damage.

Most of all, just have fun and experiment! :)

9. ForeverandAlways

Hey everyone, thanks to the new posters of the thread for all the advice, really helps a lot. I'm level 22 currently and I'm in the Lost City I believe, and I can safely say it's going pretty well. I followed the Blizzard build on the website I posted and the only thing I really use is the Ice Bolt and that does quite the amount of damage, I have points in the lightening tree and frost armor and ice blast etc, trying to spread it all out so I have different spells to choose from if I need them, but yeah Ice Bolt is doing ok by itself at the minute.

I just have some quieries on weapons. Currently I have a pretty good staff that I bought from Akara that has like 3+ Ice Bolt and 2+ Ice Blast with some other things thrown in and 3 sockets so it's doing good for me so far, but I remember reading somewhere that sword and shield is best for a Sorceress? I have come across many swords but none of them really gave me anything I needed like FCR, +stat, mana or health regen, most were just +damage or whatever. Do Sorceress swords actually exist or do Sorcs just use high damage swords so they melee things all the time?

Also, I have 5 skill points in the bank and I was thinking about Synergy, If I want to increase my Ice Bolt damage, is it better to rank up Ice Blast as it gives 16 percent cold damage to Ice Bolt (I think), or will you get more damage just from maxing Ice Bolt?

Just one last thing: The Horadric Cube, do you keep it forever? Even after you've completed the quest? Also, are there any good Sorceress items anyone recommend I craft with the Horadric Cube?

Thanks guys.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  10. Mantis

Mantis IncGamers Member

Most swords you encounter will have melee oriented stats/mods on them; especially the 2-handed variety. Most blue and rare Sorceress oriented weapons will be Staves and Orbs. Some wands can be useful as well but most wands have Necromancer abilities on them. Two common weapon setups are a) Orb and Shield, and b) Staff only.

Your Blizzard guide was leading you toward being a spell caster who rarely ever melees beyond the first few levels. Monsters simply hit too hard, have large hit point pools, and caster melee damage is miniscule at best. So you are better off looking for staves, orbs, shields with:
    - Faster Cast Rate
    - Faster Hit Recovery
    - Mana
    - Life
    - Resistances
    - Damage to Mana
    - Mana/Life Regen
    - Mana or Life per Kill
    - + Magic Find Chance
    - + to skills
    - + to a single skill tree (cold, lightning, fire)
    - + to skill damage
    - Faster Run/Walk

Keep the Horadric Cube forever. Also, pickup every Rune, Jewel, and gem you encounter. They are used in Horadric Cube (H. Cube) recipies. Here are a few handy links to stuff you can do with the H. Cube:

- Arreat Summit site... everything D2-LoD (http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/)
    - H. Cube recipe list (http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/cube.shtml)
    - Gems Listing (http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/gems.shtml)
    - Rune Listing (http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/runes.shtml)
    - RuneWords Explained (http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/runewords.shtml)
    - Crafted Items Explained (http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/crafteditems.shtml)

There are 3 links at the bottom of the RuneWords explanation page. Follow the links to get to the listings of the Runewords collections. You need the H. Cube to craft Runewords. One Runeword that may be of interest to you is the "Stealth" body armor (it is listed in the original runewords collection). Stealth has:
    - Faster Run/Walk
    - Faster Cast Rate
    - Faster Hit Recovery
    - + Mana Regen

There are 4 links a the bottom of the Crafted Items Explanation page. Take a look at the recipes on the linked pages. I also suggest exploring the set of links at the top of the Rune Listing page.

11. ForeverandAlways

Thanks for the help Mantis, that's a fantastic site.

Ok so right now I'm at level 27 and 3/4, I'm in the river part, forgotten exactly, river of blood or something, in Act 4 anyway (just started the river part). What is the recommended level to face Diablo? I don't have the expansion pack installed atm but as soon as I finish the original D2 I will install it and finish it, so would it be worth leveling up some more or should 28 or so do the job?

12. Mantis

Mantis IncGamers Member

I tend to wait until level 30 to take on Diablo in normal mode. However, it is quite possible to kill him below level 30.

13. potter

potter IncGamers Member

If you're following that guide you posted earlier, do note that its focus lies heavily on dueling (player vs player). And as such, he has neglected one of the best one-point skills available to sorceresses in pvm (player vs monster) play, Static Field. Get a point in it as soon as available.

From the looks of it, it's mostly a single tree cold sorceress, which means you won't be able to do much harm to cold immunes later on. A single point in charged bolt and lightning will do next to no lightning damage. If you want to go for cold damage only, you need to prepare yourself to either rely on your mercenary to take out cold immunes or teleport past these enemies (for your information, there are loads of cold immunes in hell).
    If you want to go the easier route, two elements, I suggest you take a look at the build guides in the sorceress forum (Mantis linked a few of them). Also, there's a lot useful info from the Mat/Pat thread here, do check that out too.
    The basic Blizzard sorceress has 20 points in Ice Bolt/Ice Blast/Glacial Spike/Blizzard/Cold Mastery and 1 point in Warmth/Telekinesis/Teleport/Static Field
    Some also choose an armor skill. I did and I regret it(Frozen Armor, though Shiver Armor would've been better as it freezes enemies _before_ they hit you) as I hardly ever blindly teleported into packs of enemies.

Enough semi-wall of text, 3 (2 actually, but the 3rd is too useful not to mention again) skills are all you need to take on Diablo.
    Attack skill(Blizzard), Teleporting to avoid hits and Static Field to reduce his life to a mere sliver.