Newb question, but hey i'm newb

zzzxxxjjj

Diabloii.Net Member
Newb question, but hey i'm newb

I read a bit from the previous post about what the economy is like now-a-days. I too am restarting my adventures in D2 after about 2 years of inactivity. I have just a few quick questions, so any help would be much appreciated.

1. Is it still possible to get a ccb from a magical collosus blade and 3 chipped? (i figured since i was starting over and chipped seem to drop like crazy now that it would be easy, but over 80 chips and still nothing).

2. How do i use gold to gamble rares and uniques/etc?

3. What is the best strategy to get 90+ lvl? (so far i have been leeching in baal runs at each difficulty. are cow runs inefficient now?)

thanks for any input you can give me.

Myrakh-2

Diabloii.Net Member
zzzxxxjjj said:
1. Is it still possible to get a ccb from a magical collosus blade and 3 chipped? (i figured since i was starting over and chipped seem to drop like crazy now that it would be easy, but over 80 chips and still nothing).
If ccb is "cruel colossus blade", I'd say it's not possible. The "3 chipped gems + magic weapon" recipie sets the ilvl to 25, and I very much doubt that the cruel prefix appears that early.

2. How do i use gold to gamble rares and uniques/etc?
In each town, one of the vendors has a "Gamble" entry in his menu. In the Rogue Camp (act 1), this would be Gheeds (the guy in the lower left).

3. What is the best strategy to get 90+ lvl? (so far i have been leeching in baal runs at each difficulty. are cow runs inefficient now?)
The best strategy is to plan the character for 100 skillpoints, so you don't have to worry about the last 10 levels.

It takes a long time to level up; it's designed for the braindead and botters. I've been at 91 for ages now, but the exp bar is filling up... slowly. Don't care that much, though, since I haven't been assigning skillpoints for the last few levels anyway... so doing Baalruns would be a waste of time.

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
In addition to #2, it's very rare that you'll get a unique or set from gambling. It can happen though, but I wouldn't base my character around it.

SirDooFuss

Diabloii.Net Member
Orphan said:
In addition to #2, it's very rare that you'll get a unique or set from gambling. It can happen though, but I wouldn't base my character around it.
Although I have gotten low level set and unique items by gambling, the rares have been much more useful. Remember when it come to gambling the only important factor is your level. Nothing else matters.

Good luck!

cotton

Diabloii.Net Member
Myrakh-2 said:
If ccb is "cruel colossus blade", I'd say it's not possible. The "3 chipped gems + magic weapon" recipie sets the ilvl to 25, and I very much doubt that the cruel prefix appears that early.
I don't think this is right, but someone with more knowlege of mod spawning should anwer better than me. I believe it has something to do with the ilvl of a cb being high enough to get the cruel prefix and overriding the ilvl25 of the recipe, so it is possible. Of course, there is a slight chance that my brain just invented that information rather than remembering it :uhhuh: However....

The recipe was nerfed by giving the sword 1 or 2 sockets rather than three. This is problematic for a couple of reasons. First of all, to get a cb (speed 0) to the last WW breakpoint (the sword's primary use,) you need 35 ias. With 3 sockets, the easy answer was shael+shael+ed jewel, affordable, fast, and damaging. With 1 socket it is impossible, and with 2, you need either shael + ias jewel, which gives no ed, or shael + ed/ias jewel, which is very expensive. There are better swords available for cheaper (take a look at the Oath runeword in an etheral balrog blade, rares can spawn with 400+ ed, and even the once mighty grandfather can be had for a Pul on ladder.)

At any rate, there are better, cheaper ways to get good swords than the chippy recipe.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
cotton is right about the recipe. Any weapon with a qlvl of at least 75 can get cruel with the 'weapon + 3 chipped/regular/flawless gems' recipes.

Yes, you lose out on 1-2 sockets compared to v1.09, but I think these recipes are an improvement anyway:
* You can do it with any weapon type. (even throwing weapons, but they won´t get sockets, of course) :uhhuh:
* The middle recipe allows you to start cubing with a socketed weapon.

Wow, I had no idea there was a 'primary use' for a CCB. :scratch: I can think of many other uses: sword-amazon, Tiger Strike Assassin, barb merc, Concentrate barb, etc...

I´ve had great use for these recipes. One of the best moments was when I managed to cube my fire rogue a +278% Cruel Crusader Bow as early as midway through act 1 Hell. No suffix and only one socket, but I was happy. This bow with a Shael in the socket, an IAS jewel and two lightning damage jewels in her armor and Guillaume´s Face made her a roXXor merc.