Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Newb Assassin Needs Advice

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by safetypro, May 5, 2008.

1. safetypro

safetypro IncGamers Member

Newb Assassin Needs Advice

Hi folks,
    Well I've finally broke down and decided to make a character in the only character class I have yet to use. I decided to make a Phoenix Strike Assassin using the guide in the strategy compendium. I'm a bit confused with regards to how charges work and what skills are best placed on which mouse buttons. Some of the skills only release charges for finishing moves and in some cases for normal attack.

I would be very grateful if someone could take a second to explain how to set the skills up on the mouse and on hot keys and maybe an Assassin Mechanix 101 introduction.

My main skills are:
    20 Fists of Fire
    20 Claws of Thunder
    20 Phoenix Strike
    1 Dragon Claw
    20 Claw Mastery
    7+ Shadow Master
    1 Cloak of Shadows
    1 Burst of Speed
    rest prerequisites

Thanks in advance
    safetypro

2. wizAdept

wizAdept IncGamers Member

Re: Newb Assassin Needs Advice

charge up attacks (fof, cot, boi, ps, ts, cs) charge up one chargeup at a time per hit, finishing moves (dtalon, dclaw, dtail, flight, norm attack) release all charges built up.

For chargeup sins you want to release with norm attack or dclaw.

Make sure to get 1 point mindblast as it's an *amazing* skill on *any* assassin, a must have and great at 1 point. Use it a lot.
    Same with death sentry for pvm assassins, must have death sentry for any pvm sin, you are just slowing down your killing speed if you don't use it, level 1 trap, clears rooms very fast once you get a few corpses on the floor.
    You also want 1 point in flight to teleport to monsters through things, this can also be used to "aim" your merc/shadow to attack monsters, as they will tele with you.
    1 point venom is also a good idea as you will have a good amount of +skills by high level to make it worthwhile for a 1 point investment.

For hotkeys I recommend rebinding your hotkey setup on your keyboard as you will use a lot of hotkeys.
    It's been a while since I touched a chargeup sin but the hotkey setup I used was:
    q = switch weapons w = mindblast, e = death sentry, r = cobra strike
    a = norm attack, s = fof, d = cot, f = ps, g = venom
    z = cloak of shadows, x = fade, c = bos, v = shadow master, b = battle orders, n = battle command
    space = flight

So basically w/e/r, a/s/d/f, z/v/space are the hotkeys I would use in combat, easy to reach any skill with that layout, easy on the fingers. Chargeup sins take a *lot* of hotkey practice if you are new to assassins, especially since you need to time switching between chargeups after successful hits charge up and switching to release. so basic gameplay would be to hold down mouse2 on a monster, press s/d/f to charge up for the desired number of charges, switch to a different chargeup and do the same thing, and press a to release the charges, then back to s/d/f to build up again. Keep holding mouse2 to keep attacking a single target as you switch the currently hotkeyed ability.
    Everything should be hotkeyed on right click. Keep dclaw on leftclick to attack with it if you want to dclaw something but norm attack will make the flow of chargeup -> release -> chargeup faster.

As you can see by the amount of hotkeys used, using fkeys will make a chargeup sin very very hard and somewhat irritating to play. not to mention there are 15 skills I had hotkeyed. Really though just try it out and use whatever setup you find most comfortable finger positions for. Letter keys are always good but there are many ways to customize how you have your layout with different letter keys, this layout worked well for me in the past.

3. safetypro

wizAdept,
    Thank you for the very informative reply. I will certainly keep the skills you suggested in mind. I'll need to read through it a couple more times till it sinks in. Assassins are much more complicated to play than Paladins, Druids or even Sorceresses for that matter.
    Thanks again for the taking the time to respond so eloquently.

4. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

I agree with most of what wizAdept says, but in the end it comes down to personal preference.

- I think my PS sin has a point in MB, but I have never used it. I would prefer to put the points into Death Sentry. The same with Shadow Master. It is annoying that she is constantly converting monsters, after PS and DS have cleared the rest of the room. My preference is ) points in MB and SM, more into DS.

- I release the charges with Dragon Claw, not normal attack. If you are releasing charges on a notmal monster with Nat's Mark, the Ignore Targets Defence will make sure you hit, but I prefer the big AR bonus and two chances to hit of Dragon Claw, at the sacrifice of a bit of speed.

5. safetypro

I understand your point with regards to MB, SM and DS. How many points would you then sink into Shadow Master? I was thinking for aiming for level 17 with my plus skills. If I choose to put points into traps, I'll need to sacrifice the Martial Arts or Shadow Skills. Could you please list where you would place points for your build? Perhaps I'll get a better understanding when I see the point allocation you are advocating. How many points should I place in Claw Mastery?

Gotcha with regards to Dragon Claw. So Dragon Claw on Right Click and Phoenix Strike on Left Click?

6. wizAdept

wizAdept IncGamers Member

If you want keep a finishing move on leftclick to release with leftclick if you need but..
    since it's easier to keep all hotkeys on right click and.. you can hold down mouse2 on an enemy to keep attacking that enemy while cycling through different hotkeys it would make sense to have both the chargeup and the release skills on right click.
    For example with the a = norm attack s = fof d = cot f= ps setup as I have I would hold down right click on an enemy and: s (hit) (hit) (hit) d (hit) (hit) (hit) f (hit) (hit) a (release) s (hit) (hit) (hit) and so on, if you release with leftclick you will have to break the continuous chain you could keep going on rightclick without releasing mouse2.

Shadow master gets all it's equipment spawn at level 17 which means it will stay alive easier and spawn elemental immune more often. I don't remember exactly but I think I skimped on points in shadow on my chargeup sin, you can always recast shadow if it dies.
    Claw mastery is good since you are doing claw attacks, and your consistency of hits is better with more claw mastery, but your damage really comes from the chargeups and synergies. Im pretty sure I had claw mastery maxed out on my chargeup sin by it's late levels, but I think I skimped on it early on, dont remember for sure though was a long time ago.

7. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

A basic skill layout - this is pretty much what I have, but I also have some single points in skills (like fade) that I never use.

Traps
    Fire Blast 1
    Shock Web 1
    Charged Bolt Sentry 1
    Lightning Sentry 1
    Death Sentry 10+

Shadow Disciplines
    Claw Mastery 1
    Weapon Block 1
    Psychic Hammer 1
    Burst of Speed 1
    Cloak of Shadows 1
    If you do decide to use Shadow Master, either hit 17 or nothing. Anything else is a waste.

Martial Arts
    Dragon Talon 1
    Dragon Claw 1
    Dragon Tail 1
    Dragon Flight 1 (This is what I have on Left Click - because it is fun)
    Tiger Strike 1
    Fists of Fire 20
    Cobra Strike 1
    Claws of Thunder 20
    Blades of Ice 1
    Phoenix Strike 20

Originally I was using Dragon Claw on left click and PS on right. But as wizAdept says, you want charge ups and finishers both on right click. The other trouble with using left click is that if you target a monster that is behind another, you will try and walk around to it to hit it. Right click just hits the closest.

I think Dragon Claw has enough AR without more points, or claw mastery. If you are finishing with normal attack, you will need the claw mastery. This is a +skills oriented build. You don't have enough modifiers in your equipment to make physical damage worthwhile.

8. Scudstorm

Scudstorm IncGamers Member

Mindblast is worth it if you're not heavily geared... A PSer without enough +skills doesn't kill very fast and needs crowd control.

Hey, an extra meatshield is always worth something :)

9. safetypro

awesome replies guys, thanks:)
    OK I decided after your good advice to open up the Traps and put at least 1 point into Death Sentry. I definitely will use Shadow Master and plus skills will be no problem as I believe I have +14 all skills, +6 or 7 MA and +2 Shadow. I'll probably put 5 into Shadow Master initially just to carry me through the mid-high levels until I get my torch, anni, Shadow Dancers etc. for the plus skills. I can add a few points later if I want to strengthen it. I also think I will at least try and max the Claw Mastery as I am not using Nat's set so I'll need some AR and the additional dmg.

One other question. A while back I muled a nice 3os Runic Talon with +3 Phoenix Strike. Is that worth rune wording into Chaos for this build or should I just go with the double Bartuc's?

10. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

It depends on how high you value Ohms. You could only use that claw yourself (you couldn't trade it away), but the IAS and magic damage are certainly nice to have. WW can also be used as an escape method in the very odd case you find yourself surrounded by a fana/curse pack. (yay, one more key ;-) )