Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New to the Forum

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Rynda, May 27, 2005.

1. Rynda

Rynda IncGamers Member

New to the Forum

Hey all. I've been a long-time Diablo II player, but have never read or posted on any boards about it. I always played single player (or TCP/IP games with my BF), so I figured I'd drop by here. I have a few questions, though.

1) I noticed that you guys have events and host games together. How do you do this safely? I know when I played TCP/IP games with my BF, one of us had to enter the IP address of the other's computer in order to access the game that was being hosted there. I trust him with this information, however I don't trust strangers on the internet with my IP address. I imagine that you guys would feel the same way, so I was wondering how you guys host games safely.

2) I also noticed that you guys are able to trade items with each other. I understand how this would work in a battlenet setting, however was wondering how this works in a single player setting. Do you set up a TCP/IP game with each other in order to trade?

3) Finally, I've been trying to get my lvl 37 sorceress a sol rune for awhile now. I need it to complete a runeword. I am curious as to where you guys think is the best place (which monsters/boss?) to acquire one? Keep in mind that my sorc is only currently at the very start of Act I nightmare. I also have a Druid who is almost finished with Act II nightmare, if this helps. Thanks. :D

2. killmesh

killmesh IncGamers Member

welcome

welcome to the forum
    if ya want check out the memorial bar

3. Nacaa

Nacaa IncGamers Member

1) Well, I do most often just post my IP in the MP Games thread. So far I haven't had any problems (that I know off). Otherwise, you can ask if people are interested and if they are, pm them the IP number.

2) Most of us use ATMA to mule items off to an empty character that we send away. Then the receiver do the same but to you and you use Atma to mule the received item to one of you chars. There is a stickied thread for more info about this.

3) No idea really but I have a spare Sol rune for you which I can send in exchange for an email. This will get you used to Atma as well ;)

4. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

Hello! welcome! always good to see another EU, join us in the EU lounge of the EMB; unless you're your bf's, bf, in which case, ignore that.

Enjoy this goodie basket of baked goods either way and don't feed the squid.

#1. Trust, this entire forum is very big on trust, if you trust someone enough then you send them your IP in a PM to MP. That's one reason I think the ot threads are so big, we want to know who we let play D2 w/ us.

#2 ATMA, stickie at top, is better than ice cream or choloate...sometimes. WAY better than B.net type trading.

#3 I think the countess can still give a sol (she's the best for low level runes, but don't put it on higher player settings 'casue she'll drop more but lower runes.) Also hell forge always gives a rune and if you're really worried about it, there's a drop calculator in ATMA.

5. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

Howdy welcome to the forum! I'm gonna take a guess by mention of a bf that you are a fellow EU (that's Elite Unique i.e. female) If so, your shins should be safe. The guys here are usuakky OK, but get kinda unruly at feeding time, so if you ever need any testosterone repellant just ask.

as for TCP/IP games, your IP is out there already. any time you go to a website or use an internet based program, someone can get your IP. Best option is to get a good firewall (ZoneAlarm is free and works quite well) but if you still don't want to post it, you can always just join someone else's game. Check out the MultiPlayer thread for available games

For trades/muling we use a program called ATMA. it allows you to save and store every item you find and transfer them between characters safely. We trade by sending ATMA mules to each other. see the atma thread at top for more info

as for a Sol rune, best bet is to just keep killing things. also remember that you can cube up one with 3 Amn runes and a chipped amathyst.

and once more, welcome!

6. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Aside from posting in the MP thread (I think that rpgforums is still members-only to read?), the other thing that you can do is join other's games. Mind you, in doing so you can give away your IP address anyhow! :)

As long as you have firewall/AV software installed you should be fine joining other's games. If you want to host, you need to disseminate the IP somehow... PMs/email are slightly more private alternatives to the forum.

ATMA is the preferred method (see the stickied thread) - but as yet there's no Mac version. Of course TCP/IP games can be used for trading as well.

The Countess drops vast numbers of runes. Just kill her repeatedly in a one-player game (in Nightmare difficulty), and eventually a Sol should drop.

Just don't stand next to her when she dies, as her explosion might be dangerous!

Welcome to the forum, and good luck Sol-hunting. :)

7. somethingsin

somethingsin IncGamers Member

HI, and welcome to the SPF (mayallotherforumswitheranddie)

be sure to read all the stickies, as they contain lots of usefull information.
    Have a complimantary set of shinguards and some ointment. you'll probably need both very soon. EDIT: ignore this, I didn't notice the part about the boyfriend...
    Where are you from?
    As killmesh said, be sure to check out the EMB for free booze and good company (oh, and farting bob).

as for the multiplayer, we just use tcp/ip, and post ip addresses. they tend to change every so often anyway, and most people have adequate firewalls. It's not perfect, but it suffices.
    Trading is done through ATMA, a very nifty utility allowing you to store infinite numbers of items in files called stashes. Most trading consists of sending those stashes to one another. There is no real risk of getting ripped off, because you don't have to delete your item until you get a return. If the other guy doesn't send it, he gets banned, simple as that...
    As for the rune, I guess the countess is a good option, if you run her on players one, act 4 normal might work, as I've gotten lots of relatively nice drops from there.

8. Nacaa

Nacaa IncGamers Member

I thought BF meant Blade Fury sin... :eek:

9. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Another EU, yay! :love:
    Welcome to the best forum ever made, i hope you enjoy your stay. Do not feed the squid, blame durf when you do something wrong and come to the etdlahq memorial bar for a drink of your choice. We're swimming in the pool at the moment.
    Nacaa is teh n00blar.

10. Mordalles

Mordalles IncGamers Member

welcome to the forums. enjoy ure stay.

11. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Welcome aboard! The best way to get a Sol is to try NOT to get one. Just nonchalantly play the game, have a snack, shave your head, (that step is crucial), and one will surely drop for you.

I can't stress the bald part enough. It's essential.

What kind of sorc? What kind of druid?

- Noodle

12. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

welcome to the spf have fun and dont worry to much about ip adresses. you just need a good firewall and a antivirus program that updates daily. some anti maleware programs is also a good idea to have

13. Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF! I hope you stick around for a great long while and enjoy yourself.

As others have said, we're quite big on trust 'round here. I haven't personally heard of that trust being betrayed by anyone here; we're a good bunch of people ;)

Check out the stickied threads and the bar - and above all, have fun! :)

14. EnerSense

EnerSense IncGamers Member

Hi and welcome to SPF! :howdy:

15. mad.as.a.meataxe

mad.as.a.meataxe IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF! Hope you enjoy your stay here and make some new friends.

MAAM

16. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF...enjoy your stay that's an order!

17. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Hey, hey, welcome.
    1) if you have a dynamic ip you have nothing to worry about. If your ip is static, still there is little risk of posting it, though i understand your paranoia. As Shade said, you can always join other people's games. If the host runs a firewall or anything that logs internet traffic, he will be able to figure your ip, but seriously, i doubt many dangerous haxxorz host mp games here.
    3) Even though you can run nightmare countess if you really want to, honestly i would not do so, but instead wait until you can run her on hell. I am sure you can make it so far even if you don't find a sol (and you have a decent chanche, that you will get one on your way anyhow).
    Btw, Ulrik's rune guide that is listed in the sticky topic, is a must read. It answers all your questions about rune finding, so download it already!

anyhow, have a good time here.

18. Amidala

Amidala IncGamers Member

welcome on spf :) hope ul enjoy urself here :)

19. linkato1

linkato1 Banned

Welcome and have a pleasant stay.

I found Sol by just playing. Some random monster in early NM dropped it.

Used it to make Lore for my necro as gambling circlets hadn't produced anything.

Topi

20. linkato1

linkato1 Banned

I've already posted a message telling you that if you're looking for a particular rune, just play.

I was just running nm countess for runes, when some random monster drops Dol and countess in the end drops Eld :scratch:

But anyway, now I have Dol. I only need Io and suitable wand to make White :rolleyes:

Topi