Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New to SP Forum

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Conner MacDermott, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Conner MacDermott

Conner MacDermott Diabloii.Net Member

New to SP Forum

Hi,

I have been playing Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction on Single Player for almost a year now. Despite my complete lack of knowledge and understanding on the gameplay in the beginning, building and leveling my first character is relatively trouble-free thanks to the comprehensive guides available on this forum.

Now that I have reached Hell Difficulty Act 4, I have a few questions which I, unfortunately, could not find the answers to. Hopefully, the expert players here can help to enlighten me, please?

1) I came across Cold/Fire/Lightning/Poison-immune monsters everywhere in Hell; I chanced upon Physical-immune monsters once in a while, but I have yet to see a Magic-immune monster? Are there any?

2) I prefer not to be surrounded by monsters, especially when they are cute little stygian dolls. However hard I tried, my character just could not outrun them. Sadly, I could not tell my mercerary not to attack them while I am being surrounded. Any tips?

Thank you. c",)

2. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

Re: New to SP Forum

There are a couple of them. Of the top of my head:
    - Plague Bearer (zombie type) in Lost City and Ancient Tunnels in Act II
    - Unraveler in seven tombs, late Act II (they are also cold immune)
    - Wailing Beasts in three of the Act III temples in Kurast Bazaar and Upper Kurast.

Do not get surrounded. :)
    But seriously, if you aren´t that far ahead of the mercenary, you can run back as soon as your hear the pitter-patter of their tiny, bony feet, and they will probably focus on the mercenary instead of you.

You can also have some way of teleporting. Charges on amulet/circlet is good (on a staff on the weapon switch is even easier to get since you can buy one from the vendors, but you may not want to switch away from a shield if you´re surrounded...)
    Once they start to surround you, teleport half a screen back, then immediatley walk two steps futher away. This will pretty much guarantee a merc vs. dolls fight.

3. Conner MacDermott

Thanks, jiansonz.

One thing I noticed about Plague Bearers, Unravelers, and Wailing Beasts are that they die very easily to fire attacks. Perhaps, that is why I did not notice that they are magic-immune. Hmm..

Actually, my problem with stygian dolls is a little complicated.

I'm using a Rouge as my mercerary. Erm.. And as I observed, she tends to retreat to a spot that is further than my character every time the dolls approach near. How she manages to outrun and lose all of them when they are chasing behind her is beyond my ken. What I do know is that every time she does this, the dolls will obligingly shift their attention to my character and, in turn, force me to run as fast as possible.

You should also know that when I said run, I mean I did not invest in the teleport skill. ... One point to the Teleport skill seems fair, but one point to Teleport and another point to Telekinesis seems like a waste of one point, so I decided to invest the two points elsewhere and wait until I had the runes to make the runeword. I was also under the impression that I would not need Teleport to complete the game.

I do realize that there are some items (eg: orbs, staves, etc) that come with the Teleport skill or charges of the Teleport skill that I could buy and use as a second weapon. But, erm, I'm a little reluctant to change my current gear as it serves me quite well on monsters other than the stygian dolls. And, I'm not going to see stygian dolls every step of the way to Baal, am I?

So, I was wondering if there is any thing that I can do to kill them before they even reach my character.

Any helpful suggestions from other expert players are appreciated as well.

Thank you.

4. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 Diabloii.Net Member

Teleport is one of most useful skills in the game. It pretty much defines the Sorceress class (much like Battle Orders defines the Barbarian class). It's WELL worth spending the point in TK to get it. Plus, TK isn't useless. It can be used to knockback monsters attacking your merc (if you were using an Act 2 merc, that is...) And it can be used in town to quickly access the waypoint.

Also, even with 1.13c's improved drop rate, the Jah and Ber runes you need for an Enigma (the runeword with teleport) still aren't exactly common, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on making it before you invest in teleport.

Finally, an Act 2 merc (probably with the Holy Freeze aura) is a better match for your sorceress. Mercs aren't affected by the stygian dolls' death explosions. So, assuming he's geared with some form of life leech and a decent weapon, he'll mow through dolls with no trouble.

5. potter

potter Diabloii.Net Member

A sorc without teleport is like a barb without limbs >_>'
    And Telekinesis is awesome as THC notes. You can also pick up gold/potions/keys and open chests/knock over corpse/logs etc from afar.

6. Conner MacDermott

Thanks, TopHatCat64 and potter.

Hmm.. I think I'll look in my item stashes to see if I got keep any good weapon with the Teleport skill or not. Using Telekinesis to activate waypoints and grab gold coins is great when you want to beat your competitors, but in a single player game where there are no competitors, I would rather walk to the waypoint and gold coins and spend that one skill point on something more useful like a synergy skill for more damage on my attacks. Moreover, when I had my old staff with Telekinesis charges, I had experimented with the skill and found with dismay that the stunning ability of Telekenesis is not guaranteed to work all the time. I could not even stun-lock anything. Would higher levels of Telekinesis help?

This is something I have not considered. I remember reading something about how mercerary generally become weaker when hired from later difficulties. So, my impression is that merceraries hired from Normal difficulty have the best chance of surviving Hell difficulty. So if I am to switch to a mercerary from the Nightmare difficulty, how do I improve his chances of surviving Hell difficulty? What modifiers should I look for when choosing his weapon and gear?

Many thanks in advance.

7. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay! :)

1. Not really - don't bother.
    2. The difference between N/NM/Hell mercenaries is insignificant. A bit less life, stats, defence, but the difference is so small it's not noticeable. Give him a polearm/spear/javelin that does decent damage relative to where you are in the game and make sure he has a source of life leech (Vampire Gaze, Tal Rasha's Hordradic Crest, Andariel's Visage, Amn runes in weapons, etc.) and for the most part he should stay alive.

8. Conner MacDermott

Thanks, omgwtfbbqpwned.

Wow! I have switched my mercerary from a Rouge to a Town Guard, and I'm very impressed with his dogged determination to dive into battles before me. Hmm.. Now I'm beginning to understand why you all recommended me to get a source of life leech for him.

Some quick questions.

1) Which of these modifiers will best suit him?
    a. Replenish Life +x
    b. x% Life Stolen Per Hit
    c. +x Life After Each Kill

2) I found a Darksight Helm in my stash earlier, but I'm not sure if it is beneficial for him or not since I'm quite unfamiliar with Assassin skills (ie: Cloak of Shadows). If I am to equip him with other gear that gives him "-x to Light Radius" and cast the Cloak of Shadows myself, would it help to prevent hordes of monsters from attacking all at once? Or, should I just pack the Darksight Helm into my stash again?

Thanks.

9. Arkardo

Arkardo Diabloii.Net Member

1. Life stolen per hit by far. With any decent hurty stick, he'll leech life back in the dozens, maybe even hundreds of points per hit.
    2. The helm is decent; Cloak of Shadow basically blinds nearby monsters and lowers their defense (though your merc already has a great chance to hit). However, a word of warning: if your merc (or you yourself, for that matter) uses this helm against the Ancients in Act 5, and there's a good chance the game will crash.
      Also, try to look for Tal Rasha's Mask; it's easy to find and it makes a great helm for your merc with its 10% life stolen per hit and 15% resist all.

Oh, and welcome aboard! Is it just me, or are people joining left and right these days? :scratchchin:

10. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

I just wanted to welcome you and tell you the following :

If you think the act 2 merc is a improvement over the act 1 merc, just wait until you get teleport.

Yes, the act 2 merc is the best merc there is for a sorceress and 99% of all other builds too. But teleport is just... well... get it and you will see :)

11. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

Welcome aboard. Here is my 2 cents:

Mercenary: Every character needs a tank, so I prefer melee mercenaries for my missile characters and missile mercenaries for my melee characters. If you have lots of summons then act II merc with his aura helps all your summons and is as much as given. Mercs do get worse on various levels so no need to hire Act I, III and V mercs anywhere else that in normal. Act II mercs are different kettle of fish as they have six auras between them: three in normal or hell and three in nighmare. So no need to hire a hell act II merc, but nightmare act II mercs are sometimes just the ticket you need. (1)

As a sorc you might want to have act II normal combat merc with Insight polearm. This gives you and your merc almost infinite life & mana. Remember though two things of act II & V mercs: They need life leech to stay alive & you cannot leech on all monsters. This means that you have to be trigger happy to either feed him potions, teleport or TP out. Because when the s**t hits the fan your sorc needs to get out fast. And that means that the 2 skill points to get teleport is never ever a cost placed wrong.

(1) If you timetravel then there was time when the mercs didn't follow your level and rehiring a rogue from normal act I meant that you had to painstakingly level her. So in that case you might want to hire her in act I hell.

12. Conner MacDermott

Thanks, Arkardo, tavaritz, and Twoflower.

All your helpful advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

That is horrible! I guess I better pack this bugged helm into the stash before my game crashes. Thanks for warning me.

How do I activate this time travel thing that you mentioned? Is this part of a hidden game content?

Thanks.

13. Ladvarian

Ladvarian Diabloii.Net Member

Its not the helm itself, its the use of the 'cloak of shadows' skill that you have charges of thanks to the helm that causes the game to crash. Just do not use the charges during your fight with the Ancients. I remember reading that it is only if 'cloak of shadows' is in effect when you finish off the last Ancient that the game crashes.

There is nothing to activate. Time traveling in the SPForum sense is running old patches and bringing the items forward to the newest version that you want to or are currently playing. See in Single Player you can choose which patch you play. On b.net you must play the latest patch no matter what.

Look here for all the information you will need. Use Trendshadow to enable easy switching between versions. There are many write ups in the link that explain why some run these patches and bring the items forward.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6590395&postcount=5

14. Arkardo

Arkardo Diabloii.Net Member

Oh, sorry about my 'Cloak of Shadows' comment; I was under the impression it was a 'chance to cast' mod.

So, eh, how is it going now? Any progress?

15. Conner MacDermott

Thanks, Ladvarian.
    No worries, Arkardo.

Since I was not expecting to use a Town Guard mercerary when I started with this character, I did not bother to look out for or collect any good weapons or gear for him. As a result, my choice of items for him is pathetically limited. I did what I could, and gave him items with modifiers such as "Crushing Blow," "Slows Target", "x% Life Stolen Per Hit," etc. But, as Deckard Cain said, the wishes of Heaven are often unfathomable.

I think I have to go back to Nightmare difficulty to find better weapons first before I can proceed further. Fortunately, he can withstand a prolonged fight with a champion monster; unfortunately, he takes more than ten minutes to kill that champion monster. Who knew life regeneration on monsters could be such a pain?

I think I may also need to research on how physical damage on mercerary is calculated.

As for playing earlier versions of the game, I may want to try that after I'm done with this version. After all, the unique crystal sword Azurewrath is only available in version 1.09, right?

16. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace Diabloii.Net Member

Hello, and welcome to the SPF! Glad you're asking a bunch of questions: no one knows this game better than this forum, and to not use us to the fullest extent is a waste!! :thumbsup:

You're correct that the Azurewrath crystal sword is available in 1.09 and earlier. It's a decent early-game twinking weapon and technically rare since not many people play earlier patches... but it's not game breaking by any means. However, the unique Raven Claw Long Bow IS ABSOLUTELY an early game breaker; the mod "Fires Explosive Arrows" is bugged on that weapon, so instead of firing a slvl3 Explosive Arrow it actually fires slvl30!! It's one the best twinking weapons for ANY character because it's simply so powerful! There are reasons to do time traveling, but unless you're in it to experience different patches, it's best to know what you want to get out of it before you actually tackle the project.

As for your merc's gear: A helm is a great source for leech (magic/rare circlets and specific set/uniques) and resists, armor for resists, damage reduction and Faster Hit Recovery, and then your weapon should be focused either on raw power OR something to supplement your playable character.

As someone already mentioned, if you have the RuneWordMod installed there's an excellent item you can make in a four-socket polearm-class weapon called Insight. Not only does it give anywhere from 200-260% enhanced damage AND a 1-6 roll for Critical Strike (which gives a percent chance to do double damage!), but it also grants the user the Meditation aura which regenerates mana for all partied players very well. The most "expensive" rune of the four is Sol, and if you play for a while that's quite cheap considering the cost-benefit. Make one in any random four-socket polearm you find (not spears!) just for the aura for now, but once you find an exceptional/elite base you can make an upgrade so your merc does some real damage. And don't forget, ethereal items on mercs don't lose durability, so if you ever find a 4-soc ethereal elite base, that's a darn powerful weapon!!

17. Conner MacDermott

Thanks, TheReadMenace.

What an uncanny coincidence! I have the unique long bow Raven Claw that you mentioned. The only difference is that I got it on version 1.13 instead of version 1.09. Unfortunately, I could not determine what is the "slvl" of its explosive arrows. Both ATMA and GoMule made no mention of the "slvl" when they state that the bow "fires explosive arrows". How do I check the "slvl" in this case? And, what is "slvl" by the way?

Oh. I gave my Town Guard mercerary the same head and body armor that my Rouge mercerary used, so I believe his defence and resistance should not be a huge problem. The only thing I could not give him is the Great Bow, so I have to find some other weapons for him. He is now using a rare spear that does 9-24 physical damage, which I strongly suspect is the reason of his pathetic offense.

As for the Darksight Helm, I put it back into the stash after I realised that Cloak of Shadows actually works both ways. Just as monsters presumably could not "see" me as I approach, I could not see any monster as they approach either. Moreover, my light radius when wearing the helm shrunk to such a small size that it impedes me from seeing all the items that dropped on the ground. Geez, I rather have the Sun.

I love the runeword "Insight", except that I'm currently short of two out of the four runes that it needs. I think a more practical choice would be to aim for the runeword "Malice" then the runeword "Insight". I'm curious, what does the property "Drain Life -x" on the "Malice" runeword do?

Thanks.

18. mattinm

mattinm Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not sure if you can see the slvl, but if the Raven Claw comes from patch 1.10 or newer, then it will not have the amazing damage cited by TRM.

The "Drain Life -x" modifier works the exact opposite as "Regenerate Life +x". Over time, it slowly drains your life by the listed amount (I'm not sure on the exact x/second). However, when used on a mercenary, the mod does nothing, so you can use Malice without concern on your mercenary.

In the mean time, you can use the following Horadric Cube recipe: Kris (any) + Staff (any) + Belt (any) + Diamond (any quality, e.g. chipped, flawed, normal, flawless, and perfect all work -- I recommend using normal or less). This will create a Savage (up to 80% Enhance Damage, iirc) Polearm. If you manage to roll a Savage Partizan, he should do at least respectable damage.

19. Conner MacDermott

Thanks, mattinm.

I was hoping it would drain the monster's life, instead of my mercerary's life. Sigh. I guess I was hoping for a little too much.

I checked the Arreat Summit, and it gives me the impression that the resultant Savage Polearm's damage may fluctuate over a wide range depending on its type and the amount of enhanced damage granted. Then, I wondered how much damage should I aim for, in terms of numerical values.

Minimum Range:
    Partizan = 34-75
    Enhanced Damage = 66%
    Total Damage = 56.44-124.5

Maximum Range:
    Partizan = 34-75
    Enhanced Damage = 80%
    Total Damage = 61.2-135

Would it suffice if I aim for a weapon that gives a total damage higher than 58.82-129.75?

Thanks.

20. potter

potter Diabloii.Net Member

no need to worry about the damage roll. A low-end one won't be far from a high-end one anyway, so just grab the first good one you get (lochaber axe/bill/partizan). Hopefully, you'll get a good suffix too like life leech or speed.
    Andariel and Mephisto in nightmare can drop decent weapons, so try running them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.