Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

new to single player questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by slam, Apr 13, 2008.

1. slam

slam IncGamers Member

new to single player questions

I've been player closed characters for years, but recently I've been coming and going from the game and because of this, I keep having my characters expire so i decided to make a single player character.

I had a quick look through a few of the FAQ's for a question I had, but couldn't find the answer.

What should i set /players x to? I seem to remember there being no advantage after 5 because experience/drops don't increase after that, only difficulty does? Is that right?

Also, while going through the FAQ's I found reference to /nopickup. What does this do?

Thanks

2. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

Re: new to single player questions

/players8 is optimal for Normal/NM as it gives more EXP

Above /p5 iirc it is the no-drop chance that doesn't change much

/nopickup allows you to only pickup items when you press the Alt key, can be useful if the floor is littered with stuff

And welcome to the SPF!

3. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Players settings should usually be as high as possible, as long as it doesn't slow down your speed too much, or decrease survivability too much. Also, the higher the better due to higher experience, but if you aren't getting much in an area, chances are you should've moved on to somewhere more rewarding.
    It's all about experience and preferences, so you'll learn what you prefer doing as you try it out more.

The /p5 is mostly for Boss drops. Andarial's best drop chance is at pl5, and above that, her no drop chance is reduced terribly small amounts. Meph's limit is (IIRC) pl3.
    Baal's experience is capped at /pl3, but I don't know about his drops.

Welcome to the SPF :wave: Hope this helps.

4. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

/players setting should be dictated by your kill speed and your desire for experience. If you've got good/great equipment, then as LHtB said, /p8 is great for Normal & Nightmare (if you just do all quests, you should hit hell around level 73 - more like 80 if you do full clears). But without good equipment, a lower setting might make progress less tedious.

As for experience, the rate of increase is linear: more players = more experience, except in the case of boss runs (for just Baal?, or other bosses?... I know that Hell Baal is capped at /p3, but not as sure for other bosses).

The drops are a little different, I think of it in "tiers":
    p1 = p2
    p3 = p4
    p5 = p6
    p7 = p8

... so you'll minimize your chances of no-drop on /players7, and get the exact same chance as /p8. There is a small difference between the no-drop on /p5 and /p7 though (so your memory was somewhat wrong)... I'm guessing the thing you read is for act bosses, where you can sometimes eliminate a chance at no-drop on a medium-high setting (/p7 for Andy and Duriel, /p5 for Meph, and /p3 for Diablo and Baal - if I remember correctly).

Edit: beaten by Drystan.

Edit2: FYI, the difference between drops on /p3 or /p5 for Meph is negligible. Meph will always drop 6 items per run on /p5, but over time on /p3, he'll drop 5.98 items per run... the improvement in drops is tiny, but the increase in Meph's starting health is not - so most people run him on /players3 (or /players1 if they find him a tough kill, since speed > everything else for MF runs).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  5. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

On the topic of bosses: most people seriously overestimate the increase in drops on higher /players settings. In Meppy's case, for example, the increase from /p1 to /p3 is less than 10%. So you'll need a relatively well-built and well-equipped character to get more items over time on /p3.

I'd strongly recommend starting on /p1. Once you feel comfortable with that, time a few runs on both /players settings and see if you can do /p3 within the 10% margin. If not, don't feel bad about sticking to /p1.

@poops: AFAIK, the /p3 xp "cap" only applies to Baal.