Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

new to PvP

Discussion in 'PvP' started by Calizzar, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Calizzar

Calizzar IncGamers Member

new to PvP

hey guys, i usually play PvM, but want to get into PvP. I joined a couple pubby duelz games with my hammerdin and just got owned, even with solid fhr and the 75% breakpoint for fcr. My problem is im too slow to be switching skills so quickly.

So basically im looking for suggestions on what build to start with for a newbie pvper, one that can kill people and doesnt require much skill switching so i can get used to the pvp atmospphere and stuff.

thx

2. DIEnamic

DIEnamic IncGamers Member

if you can't cut it with a hammerdin, I really don't know what else to use...

make an auradin and charge around in circles. it takes no skill and works pretty well in pubs.

3. Camden

Camden IncGamers Member

Smiters are a good starting char, imo

4. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

Also, you WILL need fast switching skills on PvP characters.

You can practise this a lot with either a barbarian, a WWsin or a Hammerdin. Do this:
    On a barbarian, Tele->WW quickly and a lot. I do not mean tele->lots of ww. I mean do tele->ww multiple times.
    On a WWsin, place a trap, cast an MB on top of it, teleport to it and whirl. Do over multiple times.
    On a Hammerdin do teleport ->aura switch -> hammer multiple times. Once you see that the aura is gone for only a small moment, you're good enough.

5. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

Why not practice against monsters? Try clearing WSK and the pits while on a timer.

6. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli IncGamers Member

Wading through monsters is very very different to fighting a single opponent in PvP. Perhaps not so much with a Hammerdin, but certainly with most other PvP characters. For example, on my Barb, for taking on monsters, all I do is run up to monsters and Whirl (Left-Click) them and occasionally Teleport (Right-Click) over walls. In PvP there is constant switching, Leaping, fast Teleing, namelock-tele-whirling. Trust me, practicing by clearing out monsters is a very poor way to practice for PvP. Practicing random skills on single monsters, that can work, but clearing areas? No.

Laz

7. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

I disagree.

When I was still active, if there was no one in a dueling game or I was perming a game or muling, I was always out there to tele->triwhirl fallens. Also it's good practise of tele-zerking.

8. Sechler

Sechler IncGamers Member

A bowzon is pretty cut and dry. Run and fire, run and fire, etc. Easy stuff. Make sure you have a good dodge/evade/avoid level and you'll do ok w/ mediocre gear. Be prepared to still get beat alot tho as there are a lot of people out there with really good gear and decent skills. A trapper is fairly easy to use as well if you're go defensive. Just what ever you do if you go bowzon, trapper, fb sorc, etc....DO NOT town hug and spam the field because you don't wanna go out and get killed. I dispise that sh**.

9. KaythonXE

KaythonXE Banned

I'm the best hdin on east ladder. ;) Too bad I use crap gear. =/

10. mainaman

mainaman IncGamers Member

your hammerdin will do much better if you can use spirit shield and get 125 fcr with max block
    cheap way to use him charge spam hammers charge spam hammers and so on, ppl will get killed sincethey will walk into your hammer fields ..it requires practice to get it working properly but its effective in pubs

11. KaythonXE

KaythonXE Banned

Zz. Horrible explanation on how to desynch.

12. mainaman

mainaman IncGamers Member

too bad i couldnt inprint my sarcasm in what i said about desynchers...

13. DIEnamic

DIEnamic IncGamers Member

if pvm style hoto/tele hdin isnt working for him, I really don't see desync going to cut it either.

bowazon works well, just bomb them with multi arrows and guided when they are in range. the downside is that a bowazon is a really expensive build if you want it to actually kill decent duelers.

to the poster who's telling him to make a wwsin or bvc and do tri whirls and crap... thats like the complete opposite of what hes asking. he wants a fun easy beginner pvp build, not this complicated 8 hotkey wwsin or mcm bvc clone.

as for a suggestion of a "noob friendly" build, other than the auradin, try perhaps a fireball sorc. all you need to do is tele and spam a few fireballs tele again. no hotkey switching and it does massive damage. pretty budget friendly as well.

14. Uncle_Mike

Uncle_Mike D2 PvP Moderator

Desynch is not essential if you just want to have fun and experience duel games. Plus - it's not like one is either pro or noob - we have all started and in many cases it was via venturing into pk games with mf chars.

What level are you, what equipment do you use?

If I were to pick an easy and decent build I would either go with hammerdin (duh!) or a windy. Both will do fine once you get some practice and do not require uber expensive gear to work well.

On a hammer try to reach 125 fcr - it will help a lot - it's ok to sacrifice a bit of dmg to reach that bp. You can't go wrong with wizzardspike and spirit sacred targe (the higher base res the better). The only, but minor, problem is the hotkey setup - use the search tool to find threads where people post theirs. For pure tele-hammer (not recommended imo) even the F keys will do fine.

On a windy go for 99/99 bps, make sure you recast cyclone and resummon wolves/grizzly and oak and you are good to go :thumbsup:

my 2 cents

Mike

15. nickedoff

nickedoff IncGamers Member

...how do you have trouble switching skills?

Are you using hotkeys?
    Try setting them as homerow; I'd never be able to duel properly if my hotkeys were F's, and I don't understand how other people can do it. You can adjust them under Options -> Configure Controls.

16. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

I used fkeys until I used my assassin, it was totally impossible to use her with fkeys. It was a WWsin.

Also, I find that the a,s,d,f,g,q,e,r,z,x are way better. It also allows me to tab my map off and on (believe me I do this a lot).