Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New to Paladin, advice needed.

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by MeMyselfAndI, Jun 13, 2005.

1. MeMyselfAndI

MeMyselfAndI Diabloii.Net Member

New to Paladin, advice needed.

I've played diablo 2 and expansion for 2 years or so combined, however I didnt find this site until about 2 months ago. Needless to say I was amazed at the wealth of information contained herein, especially impresive was the depth of game knowledge among the forum users. Before I came across this website all of my characters were hit and miss experiments. so..... to the point of my post. I need your expert advice on a few aspects of building my paladin.

I've chose to center him around the vengance skill. My plan is to:

MAX vengance
    MAX resist fire
    MAX resist cold
    MAX Concentration
    10 Holy shield
    rest of points for pre requisites.

I will use the act 2 merc to boost defence. Later in the game I will use a Beast warspike.

So my questions.....

1) will 10 points into holy shield with a defence boost from the merc be worth while in later parts of the game or are the 10 points better spent elsewhere?

2) will the fanatacism aura complement the concentration aura? can I use both at the same time?

3) I've chosen 2 resist auras as synergies (fire and cold). Are these good choices or another combination better? for example sanctuary/lightning.

4) How should I deal with iron maiden?

5) Is my proposed character a viable build for getting through hell dificulty?

Thanks to all of you in advance for your opinions and advice.

2. HaLoPhReAk

HaLoPhReAk Diabloii.Net Member

one major problem; you are only allowed to use one aura at a time. from my perspective this kind of ruins what you had going, because you maxed 3 aura's that don't syergize eachother, soo... ya. 'nother note, vengance may add damage, but; it will be pretty slow, if you had something like holy freeze (put this on; freeze enemies, then put concentration on), w/ defiance merc, and zeal, holy sheild (maybe not max this), and concentration you would do much better (trying not to go too far away from original build.)

hope this helped,
    -HaLoPhReAk

3. Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey Diabloii.Net Member

Resist Fire and Resist Cold are synergies for Vengeance =S

Not quite sure what you meant by your first sentence, but auras from items/mercs can be used simultaneously with your own aura.

MeMyselfAndIrene - having Vengeance as main killer you'd probably be better off with Conviction rather than Concentration. I suggest taking a look into Cyrus' Avenger Guide which should fill your in well on your Avenger build.

For Iron Maiden though, there's always the option of wearing gear with shorter curse duration. Otherwise there isnt really anything you can do to prevent it, other than wait till it wears off. To keep your merc alive, it can be very useful to remove his weapon, so he wont kill himself in the Chaos Sanctuary.

4. Pherdnut

Pherdnut Diabloii.Net Member

The +% ED you get from Concentration and Fanat don't add to the elemental damage from Vengeance. Not even strength adds into that. As far as I know the only things that will increase the elemental part of the damage are all the mods from the weapon itself (which includes any socketed items). The ideal Vengeance weapon hits hard and fast and it's definitely a good idea to slap a nice nasty two-hander in your alternate slot for getting extra damage against bosses.

Conviction drops all enemy resists to -150 at level 24 where it is capped so with +skills you don't have to put in a full 20 points for it. I'm one of those MORE DAMAGE people so I prefer to leave Holy Shield out of it altogether unless I have enough +skills to maybe put one point in it. Hoz' blocking rate and good armor will see you through PvM. For PvP though, you'll probably definitely want more in Holy Shield.

5. MeMyselfAndI

Thanks for your replys. what I meant was can I use my own aura as well as the aura from using the beast runeword (on myself) at the same time.

thanks for the link, was very helpfull. It brings me to another question or 2 though:

I was looking at the concentration arua mainly for the purpose of 20% uninteruptable attack. Is this a useful feature? I understand now after looking into the skill that the conviction aura lowers resistance therefore making it usefull for boosting the elemental damage from vengance as opposed to physical from concentration. Conviction also lowers defence thereby improving to hit. At max levels do the damage increase and to hit of conviction exceed that of concentration? Also it was my intent to use beast runeword with my own concentration aura- are the effects of these 2 auras multiplacative or additive? Same question for the mercs aura with my holy shield, x or +?

Thanks again guys.

6. MeMyselfAndI

good advice too, especially the lvl 24 cap. I wrote the last reply at the same time you wrote this. you answered some of those questions. If I go with conviction how do I deal with interuption? I know these are newbie questions but what can i say, I'm a newbie. Is beast warspike a good choice or with its aura even using conviction instead of concentration or is there a better choice thats reasonably easy to come by?

7. MoonUnit

MoonUnit Diabloii.Net Member

Sheal + Shael +3 Heavens Light works well w/ vengence. Not sure what you mean by interupted. a duel shael'd heavens light hits the 54%ias breakpoint which gives a 10 frame norm attack, I am not sure if vengence is based off of norm attack speed tables or not. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Go with conviction, as an avenger is an elemental based pally.

EDIT: the attack speed calc i used was: Linky

8. batuchka

batuchka Diabloii.Net Member

Well there are 2 things i could think of that a melee/ele pally could do if you insist on not only dealing but killing OB Knights and Iron Maiden :

1) Have a bow/throwing weapon on switch and deal damage with a ranged attack

2) Have a 'Passion' weapon on switch. With its +1 berserk feature this allows
    the pally to convert all his physical dmg to magical damage and thus negating the effects of Iron Maiden :D A 'Spirit' elite pally shield is a cheap yet effective way to boost the berserk skill further. This also applies to Physical Immune monsters.

Cheers :D