Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New to ladder please advise.

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by TSX, Apr 7, 2004.

1. TSX

TSX IncGamers Member

New to ladder please advise.

I'm starting out in ladder ... what is a good char to start out ... plan to use it to do MF in NM and if possible hell as well.
    Please bear in mind that as I'm new to ladder i won't be having any good gear.
    So what kinda char should I build assuming that I only have crappy gear.

PS. Anyone interested in trading non-ladder items for ladder items?
    (I have some godly items in non-ladder ... annihilus, WF, GF etc)

2. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

make a necro, barb or sorc (others might also be good, i only have done it with these.)

for necro, raise raise skelli to 3, then skelli mastery all the way. make a 3 flawless emerald bow for bosses, otherwise, let them do everything. put 1 point in amp damage to help them out. 1 pt Ce also helps.

for barb, put 1 pt in double swing. don't put any more unless you are going to use frenzy. again, get a 3 flawless emerald bow for bosses.

for sorc, 1 point in static owns normal. you can also use the emerald bow.

this should get you to level 30, where you can get your main damage spells.

necro: revive, if only to do diablo. the balrog boss pack to the right is always fire immune, so having 2-3 of them to tank diablo helps a lot. council members also rock, as they heal party members.

barb: 1 pt ww, and get a decent sword. crescent moon isn't hard to get, put that in a legend sword. or, a black tyrant club is even easier to get, and i've taken one through hell. tyrant clubs also drop in late normal. but, it doesn't work well with ww. use this if you are going the frenzy or conc route.

sorc: pick your poison. chain lightning, meteorb, orb, firewall, lightning, blizzard have all worked. just make sure you get the mastery, 1-20 points.

3. TSX

TSX IncGamers Member

Thanks for taking the time to response to my post.
    Say if I were to take the route of a sorceress ... what should I max?
    Just concentrate on the cold spells?
    Or Should I do a Cold+Fire or Cold+Lightning?

4. Superhal

in the long run, you'll probably be happiest with a single tree sorc. if you plan on partying a lot, this is the way to go.

if not, then a double tree sorc gives you a lot more short-term flexibility. usually, people pick lightning, chain lightning, or meteor, raise the mastery with maybe 1 synergy, and then 20 points orb and 1 pt cold mastery.

5. TSX

TSX IncGamers Member

Thanks. Think I'll try to do a hybrid and see how it works out.

6. tooie1

tooie1 IncGamers Member

Read the meteororb sorc guide (among others) in the sorc forums for tips, builds, etc.

7. EBZeroMatrix

EBZeroMatrix IncGamers Member

I would say a hammerdin is best. Just from my personal experience, I am playing my first hammerdin, and he's a ton of fun. With other characters, I have a hard time surviving in hell, but with my hammerdin, hell is extremley easy.

8. Superhal

i found aiming to be the biggest, most recurring, most irritating, and completely unfixable problem.

9. EBZeroMatrix

EBZeroMatrix IncGamers Member

I hear a lot about aiming. To me it's really no big deal, as after a short time, I knew where to stand when fighting bosses. I can be a pain sometimes, but a good tactic I use is just to throw some hammers, run, throw some more, run...rinse, lather, repeat.

It may be inefficient, but it ensures that at least a few hammers will hit (and most of the time, kill) the enemy.

10. Superhal

i was talking about ranged attackers standing in a corner who don't move.

and, gotta love those buggy map items. i had a blowdart flayer in a3 who was basically invulnerable to me because of a tree.