Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New To HC

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by LittleJay, Mar 10, 2004.

1. LittleJay

LittleJay IncGamers Member

New To HC

I just started playing HC and have a few general Sorc Questions.

1. Should I spread my points out among all the skill trees or make a dual elemental sorc?

2. Is Durance still place to MF run?(I quit playing back in 1.08 and finally rejoined because friends loved the new patch.)

3. How much Vit. should I get for my Sorc?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

2. Pintail-Hunter

Pintail-Hunter IncGamers Member

Use the search function at the top of the forum. To save you some time: I've killed MF sorc in 1.10 Patch. The 4th is level 80 and doing very well due to some nice suggestions from this forum. I will never ever build another sorc in the patch without:

20 Pts in Telekinesis
    1 PT in Energy Shield

and Max block.

Use the search feature for the quality 1.10 sorc builds.

3. WingBlade

WingBlade IncGamers Member

1. Because of the new Synergies, you really can't spread out your skills that much. You really want to concentrate on 1 skill and maybe a 2nd tree as a backup.

2. Meph is still hot on the MF runs, but there are several others depending on your char and build. The Pit (act 1 - Tamoe), Crypt + Maus in Blood Raven's burial ground. Eld / Shenk / Pindle.

3. VIT - as much as possible. Depending on your gear. Since you'll be starting from scratch, your friends might have spare gear for you, not sure.

For sorc builds, depends where you plan to run.

If Meph is your mainstay, suggest going w/ a cold sorcy. Just a warning Durance 2 is massive in NM and even larger in HELL. Unlike 1.09 where the map size didn't really change.

Two viable COLD sorcy builds are Orb / Static / Telkz or Blizz / Glacial / Telkz.

There are several other threads you can look up for more reference bout sorcy builds and those pro's and con's.

Hope that helped and welcome back to HC. Meaner than ever.

Wing

4. terrymanning

terrymanning IncGamers Member

Welcome to the world of mortals. I'll try and answer your questions:

1) Tri-elemental sorcs are a thing of the past. You can get by with two elements (e.g., meteor/orb) but killing in Hell difficulty can be challenging.

2) Meph is always a place for items. However, with 1.10 new areas can drop the high end items. These are The Pit, The Ancient tunnels, The Crypt or Mausoleum (someone will clarify), Rive of Flame and WSK 2 & 3.

3) As much as you can. My level 79 orb sorceress has 312 points in vit. and about 1150 life.

Remember, this is hardcore. There are more dangers out there than monsters. Good luck.

TM

5. kardinaal

kardinaal IncGamers Member

2) Meph is always a place for items. However, with 1.10 new areas can drop the high end items. These are The Pit, The Ancient tunnels, The Crypt or Mausoleum (someone will clarify), Rive of Flame and WSK 2 & 3.

The zones where no one ever came in the past are beefed up. So any dead ends seem to be nice leveling grounds and MF places. For MF a nice place is the toombs in act 2. Lots of uniques, a chest in every one of them, and the Ancient Kaa ;). Running him in 1.09 was one of the most dangerous sports, but he's screwed back a little.

6. LittleJay

LittleJay IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the replys. Things are going well, and the whole concept of conserving life makes Diablo way mroe strategic than before. Wish I would have gotten into this long ago.

7. det

det IncGamers Member

Now that we have you hooked you will never go back to SC..or any other game MUHAHAHAHA

8. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Question...

What's so special about Telekinesis ?

9. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

TeleK lowers the amount of mana lost due to ES.

At lvl 1 Telek you loose 2 mana for ever HP ES absorbs

At lvl 16 it becomes 1 point

So, with 50% Absorb from ES and say 1000 points in damage this happens

With lvl 1 Telek you loose 500 life and 1000 mana
    With lvl 16 you loose 500 life and 500 mana

Now this only coutns for "invested" points in Telek, not your +skill ones.

The advantage of the high Telek is if you do tele into some insaine moded pack and get hit HARD you can still have mana to Teleport out of the trouble. Without it you may not.

10. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

OH, and if you wear "vulpine" items "% damage goes to mana" like Nightsmoke 50% Tals belt 33% Naj's Plate forget %...etc you can almost negate the mana loss.

My Sorc has lvl 17 hard points in Telek using Tals Belt and 1k mana without bo and it rocks. I plan to try Najs Armor if i find one and it should even better.

11. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Right - thanks for clearing that up =]

12. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

ok, even though its the wrong forum, i'm gonna help you :)

I currently have a sorc capable of being (teleporting) at all places in hell. teleporting hell baal runs are no problem for her. Her equipment is only medium price, not the very expensive things. Low killing power is the drawback, but in HC surviving is more important, and she can kill mephi in about 20 seconds so its ok with me.
    First some general sorc build advise, since you asked about mephisto, i asume you are planning to build a meph runner, since mine is also build purely with that in mind, advise will be with meph runner in mind:

The skills:
    blizzard is best for killing meph.
    meteor + frozen orb works as well and is a bit more versatile in that you can also use the sorc for other purposes, but the drawback is that you need much more skill points for this so you can use less for safety skills (ES + telekinesis) Since mine as said is build to be meph runner, she is pure blizzard sorc. A pure blizzard sorc is also very well able to do the mausoleum and ancient tunnels, but cannot do the pit. (cold imunes there)

The stats:
    energy must be base. only lightning sorces use energy. It will be hard during the first 30 levels, but you'll have to get trough that....
    strength must be minimum for equipment. i think i have 80 or 90 or mine. the heaviest item i use is Thundergods vigor that needs 110.
    for the rest its block (dex) vs vitality.

if you have a shield with decent block, by all means go for it. My sorc wouldn't be half as good without it.
    Important reasons:
    -most likely you want to be able to use wizzard spike, that needs 75. So you are half way there, why not go all the way then as well?
    -vit points only give 2 life, so the life you give up on is little enough to make up with charms and items.

The shield i have is a upgraded mosers with eld and pdiamond (44 res all, 72 block) there are probably better ones, but not this cheap.

Energy shield vs no energy shield:
    It is not so much a matter of yes or no, it is a matter of when, where and how.
    Energy shield calculates damage before resistances. This means you get full damage from all elemental attacks. This means, ES is not so effective in area's where you get heavy elemental damage. While teleporting meph runs however, it is mostly physical.
    Energy shield takes 2 mana for each dmg it absorbs. with max telekinesis only 0.75. If you use ES, max telekinesis, else it sucks donkydick.
    The higher your ES, the more dmg it absorbs, the more mana it takes. put only one point in ES, your + skills will get it to a desired level. More points, and you might find the mana drain too high. You can also put none in ES and use a weapon with ES on your weapon tab.

The "w" key:
    Since i use wizzy and a shield with resist, when i press w, i go from max to -40. If you do that in hell and you are attacked by elemental attacks, you are dead. With my barbs, it happed that i wondered "why am i not hurting them?" when i accidentally pressed w. Since that is unacceptable now, i replaced this function key to F12. I will not press that by accident.

Staying Alive:
    Like mine, your sorc is likely to have low hitpoints. At first, mine had 800 or so, now with charms and some extra levels (86 now) i gotten her to 1050. This aint much. So you better reduce the damage you are gonna recieve. Besides the obvious resist all max, i have 40 pdr and absorb for lightning, cold and fire. This is done by shaftshop (pruby) rockstopper (pruby), ravenfrost, dwarfstar and thundergods vigor.
    For amulet i use a bahamuts amulet (109 mana)

Teleporting:
    for teleporting you need 63 fast cast rate. This is very important. 50 from wizzy and 20 from magefists is what i use. 70 together.

MFing mephi:
    Use the moat trick to kill mephisto, it is explained in detail somewhere in the sorc forum. search for it if you dont know it. When i safely stand attacking mephi, i swich to gull dagger and skullders. I bring those along in my cube. Do not take a merc with you on meph runs. Not only can he kill dolls (that kill you with explosion) while teleporting, also can he wake up monsters while you are killing meph with your MF equipment (and you dont want meteors on your head with 0 resistance)

More on equipment:
    I also use a verdungos. Since on the way to mephi, you wont find any lightning attacks, i decided to use verdungos there instead of thundergods. It gives extra life and maxes pdr. It is not needed though, any of these belts will be fine, another belt can also be used. Just dont meet gloams without Tgods and you should be fine.
    The ravenfrost and dwarfstar: When i started doing runs in hell with this sorc, i was kinda frightened. Quickly i found out however she never lost more than 100 hitpoints when teleporting to mephisto, so i decided these rings could be replaced by nagelrings. This also cuts down on the price of the build.
    The boots: At the moment i have ehm, forgotten the name of my boots, the give me vita and dex i believe. They are not very relevant, Wartravelers is what i want on her. Kinda expensive though.
    The helm and Amu: The best helm for a sorc is definately the shako, but since i can't afford that i am doing the rockstopper now. Someday she will have the shako. The resists on the rockstopper need to be replaced by mara's. 2 expensive items, but it will be a great improvent in extra life, mf and 4 to all skills. This should espescially help her killing power a lot. The cheap alternatives i use now do very fine though.

damage->mana equipment really doesnt help you that much at all. there have been many discussions on the sorc forum, and the conclusion was that it doesnt really work.

If you dont believe the things i say, really, i think my sorc is the living proof. She can handle (survive, not kill) anything in hell. I even ran into conviction enchanted black souls and still live to tell the tale :)

So in total, my equipment advise is:

wizzard spike
    Magefists
    mosers eld pd (upgraded optional, 7 extra block)
    shafshop (pruby)
    rockstopper (pruby / ptopaz) Shako when you are rich
    2x nagelring for meph runs / raven + dwarf when not meph running.
    amulet, boots and belt are optional when doing meph runs, but use Tgods when meeting gloams and use mara's when using shako.

So you can build it pretty cheap to start with.
    If you dont believe it, i think my sorc is the living proof. You can come look at her in action on Euro HCL :D.

Finally some important hardcore play tips:
    -Always have one row in your belt for rejuvs, and have one finger on the button to use them. just dont leave town without them.
    -When in danger, don't hesitate, press ALT + F4. It will take a few seconds before you are out of the game, but you do not recieve damage during that time.
    -Know that character level is an important part of your defence. Not only do you have more skills and stats (life) at higher levels, also very importantly, monsters have a lower chance to hit you. Don't be too greedy and try to play higher levels than you can. Start your hell meph runs at ~lvl 80
    -Never trust a townportal. Always wait until others have entered (and survived) it before doing so yourself. The same goes for the stairs to baals throne room.
    -Never trust any people near the town exits. Also take care for townportals to the bloody foothills. A common trick is to make a portal right out of town and wait in the exit for somone to enter then hostile. Know that you can always be killed in 1 hit by other players.