Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New to HC: Would this be viable?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by SnowDrake, Feb 28, 2004.

1. SnowDrake

SnowDrake IncGamers Member

New to HC: Would this be viable?

My friend and I are thinking about starting up in HC, since we are both kind of getting bored with SC. Our idea is that he will play a summoning necro (20 mage, 20 skel mastery, 5-10 revive, 20 fire golem, rest in golem mastery/raise skel), and I will play a bone necro (bspear, bspirit, teeth, bprison, 1 in decrep)

My question is, would these 2 characters be able to get through the game in HC mode? (Remember we have no way to twink our characters, as we are just starting out on HC)

2. masheen

masheen IncGamers Member

That'll work fine if you work together properly ;).

3. Sip

Sip Banned

Instead of having your friend max mage...have him max skeleton.

4. det

det IncGamers Member

Fire Golem? Nah..Clay Golem is da man :lol: and neither CG nor Mastery need maxing. Rather invest some points in CE.

Welcome in HC, and you will find: Dim Vision IS your friend. Its always advisable to put 5 points there..and 1 in confuse/attract is not to bad either. Some curses will save your butt better than 20 skellies.

5. SnowDrake

SnowDrake IncGamers Member

Yeah we weren't sure about what he should get... since neither of us have ever played a summoning necro before (actually he's never played a necro period... I've played poison and I've played bone...)

Any suggestions for more specific point distribution for him? (We're pretty much going to be playing with only eachother, so for most curses only one of us needs it)

6. det

det IncGamers Member

Well, I'd check the synergies on Arreat Summit and build accordingly. Better if only 1 takes care of curses..otherwise there's gonna be a big overwriting each other.

I have a skellymancer at lv 82 who has 20 in SM 20 in Raise skel and only 1 in Raise Mage and Revive, rest is taken care of by + skills

About 5 in Summon Resists and in Golem mastery, only 1 in CG. Rest is 1 in all curses, except 5 in Dim Vision and 10 in CE. I think the Bonemancer will actually need more of the synergies, so the Skellymancer does the cursing and CE's (CE does not scale up with players in game, so try it carefully)

7. Prez

Prez IncGamers Member

Summining Necro is one of the few characters that can solo the game safely, so yes to your question about getting through in HC mode.
    A couple of thoughts/suggestions:

The basic summoning necro build looks like this:
    Summoning Skills:
    20 pts SM
    20 pts SW
    1 pt Mage
    1pt each Golem
    1 pt Revive
    5 pts Golem Mastery
    5 Pts Summon Resist

Bone Skills:
    1 pt Bone Armour
    1 pt Bone Wall
    1 Pt Teeth
    10 Pts Corpse Explosion

Curses:
    1 pt each Curse
    ---------------------------
    Total pts = 79

Assuming that you will max out around lvl 85, you would have 96 skill pts to play with, so that gives you about 17 discretionary pts to "customize" your necro. Some popular builds get pump bone armour/bone wall to get a better bone armour, others pump a particular golem for a better tank, still others try and get a decent bone spear/bone spirit for a decent dmg attack or pump mages for the ultimate summoner. Regardless of which way you go, the basic summoning skills are sufficient to take on anything in the game.

This build benefits GREATLY from using the marrowwalk boots since the bug on the boots acts as a synergy for bone armour and will give you approximately a 600 pt bone armour with only one pt in bone armour. If you use the boots, DO NOT PUT any pts in bone prison. If you do, the bug doesn't work.

Also, since this is a caster build, + skill items are required. Strive for about +10 to necro skills (more to summoning if u can). That will be more than sufficient for revives, golems, range/duration on curses, and to pump your skelllies.

Strategy:
    Use a might merc. That will pump your skellie dmg. Other possibilties are defiance and blessed aim, but might seems to be the best overall aura and will help your merc survive by leeching.

Your goal is for your skellies/merc to get the first kill then to decimate with corpse explosion. Corpse explosion is half fire/half physical dmg. So use ampify dmg first, then CE. The amp will enhance the corpse explosion.

Use decripfy with clay golem for tough bosses and super uniques. That will slow them down to a crawl and allow your merc/skellies to beat them down.

Use dim vision for archers, burning souls, other nasty ranged attackers. It will neutralize them while the skellies take them down.

Don't get in a rush. If you want a fast killer, make a sorc. Basically you are a slave to your skellies, and sometimes you are stuck with certain battles that you didn't want or going in a direction that you aren't interested. If you try and force the issue and leave them behind, they will warp to you although you will lose many of the skellies and be forced to create more.

Mages are useful, but not required. Amp will take physical resistance off of 99.9% of monsters so your merc and warriors can kill just fine. If you choose to go with mages, the fire/ice/light ones are best, get rid of the poison ones..they are totally useless.

Revives are useful in tough areas. You don't need them all the time and trying to keep them all the time is a unnnecessary mana drain. Raise revives for tough areas like worldstone keep, durance, chaos santuary, etc.

If one of you play a summoner, the other can play pretty much any character and do well. A Fanatic Zealot is awesome with skellies...fanatism makes skellies look like they are on crack! A BO/Shout Barb pumps life and def. Sorcs increase killing speed, etc.

This turned out to be longer then I intended, hope it helps. Maybe someone else can help with the bone necro build.

Prez