Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New to HC, what char?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by tuxor, Oct 1, 2006.

1. tuxor

tuxor IncGamers Member

New to HC, what char?

Hey, I'm coming back after a long break, and I've decided to play Hardcore, because softcore is pretty boring a lot of the time.

Two things: What kind of character should I make?
    I was thinking either a Summon nec, a javazon, or a frenzy barb(one of my personal favs). There's a thread underneath this that says i shouldn't make an MF character, so I decided not to go with a sorc.

Also, any tips/tricks I should know about playing Hardcore?
    I'm probably going to end up dying within 10 levels because I'm used to softcore, what should I learn other than don't throw myself at the monsters?

and if anyone wants to help my account is *tuxor at USEast Ladder

2. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

Make a Summoner & a Javazon. Use the Javazon for harvesting NM cows if you make it that far, and quest iwth the Summoner because he's safe.

Read the FAQ at the top of the page, it will tell you many tips and tricks to staying alive. General rules are life and resists are more important then damage, and try not to get surrounded.

Watch out for TPPK though, if you play in public games you will be had by it eventually.

-hps

3. Gambitsreturn

Gambitsreturn IncGamers Member

Hi, and welcome back. I agree with Hp on the character choices. My lil brother just started playing again and he decided to make a javazon. It seems to be working pretty good for him, so I think thats a safe pick. Just remember to be patient and don't rush into areas you cant handle. Also like Hp mentioned, watch out for tppk, it's everywhere in public games. GL with whatever you decide to make, and don't get discouraged if you die a couple times.

-gambit

4. RoXoR

RoXoR IncGamers Member

death comes to us all. But that mortality is what gets the adrenaline going :)

5. veganNecro

veganNecro IncGamers Member

I lost a 27 summoner yesterday to a TPPK. never came anywhere close to dying from monsters up until then, but was wiped clean in half a second to some wind from a druid. be very cautious in public games, and if you have a gut instinct about someone, go with it. when this guy entered the game he partied and allowed me to loot his corpse right away, which some pker's do in hope that you will allow them to loot your corpse, too.

so uh, watch out :smiley: .

6. tuxor

tuxor IncGamers Member

okay so what kind of javazon should it be, pure LF or should i throw in some PJ too? i don't know if i'll need the light synergies for HC, but i don't think it should be that different than SC...

7. Gambitsreturn

Gambitsreturn IncGamers Member

I would go for pure lightning, I never really cared too much for the PJ skills. By pure lightning I mean max LF, CS, LS, LB, and PS. My javazon has one in all passives except Valk. Don't forget to get your block to 75%, which is pretty easy with a high def shield like Whitstans.

-gambit

8. HCKull

HCKull IncGamers Member

I would make a trapsin if I where you. Once your LS traps get powerful they are a breeze to play until hell and Light Immunes (LI).

You let the traps kill off screen and around corners and you stay back and safe.

Plus they have the best summon in the game the Shadow Master who actively engages the enemy with just about every spell.

9. tuxor

tuxor IncGamers Member

well could i get "rich" from playing a trapsin? will it be a better cower/randomness-er than the javazon? because i've played trapsins and they're damn boring in my opinion

10. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

For nm cows Javazon > Trapper
    For survivability Summoner > Trapper
    For boredom Trapper > Summoner

Once your javazon has farmed the cows for a while you will have enough good charms and pgems to build a sorc.

And as for your question about about building the Javazon and if you should use PJ. All you need for NM cows is 20 points in LF, and some javalins with the "replenish item" mod. Oh, and maybe a couple points in Pierce.

-hps

11. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

If like you questing all the way up through the game rather than running cows alot, go with a necro. Be sure to pick up all of the P gems and junk jewels on the way and trade them for useful, common items.

My necro's current gear:

47% Tarnhelm socketed with a topaz (traded 25 gems for it)

Tancred's amulet (found it, it gives 78% MF with the boots)

Gull dagger socketed with a 6% MF / 28% lit res jewel (got the dagger from a friend, although I bet you could trade P gems for one)

Homunculus with a diamond (found an Um rune from my nightmare hellforge, which I traded for this and Lem + Ko runes to make a wealth which was replaced)

Skullder's with a topaz (traded 40 junk jewels for a Pul rune, which I then traded for Skullders)

38% Chancies (Found some 35's, and a friend gave me these 38's when he stopped using em)

2 fairly low % nagels, one found and one from a friend, although I plan on finding / gambling better magicals and rares.

Goldwrap (traded 4 gems for it)

Tancred's boots (someone from xbananax gave that to me when I asked in the channel; I grabbed a mule and gave him 5 gems for it)

Weapon Switch: staff with teleport charges that I found. Very useful not only for moving across rivers in A3 and up cliffs in A2, but also for grouping my minions if some go astray.

He's currently at the end of act 5 nightmare, able to solo completely safely in the caves with this gear on. I plan on doing cows later as well.

He's using the standard max skelly / mastery / ~10 points into CE / 1 into every curse build.

He has fairly low health (~600), but maxed resists and block thanks to some resist charms and the homunculus.