Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New to HC, just finished Normal.

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Barloc, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Barloc

Barloc IncGamers Member

New to HC, just finished Normal.

Conc Barb/Shielded. Killed Baal @ Lvl 33.

What a refreshing approach to D2 game play. This was the first time in years I've played solo un-twinked, non-muled.

In the beginning, I wanted to try a thrower so double-throw was the main path I followed, along with a shield/axe on swap. I found double throw to be the most damaging attack for a low level barb I have ever attempted. It was really amazing how fast everything dropped. I yawned zzzz at the smith and Andarial was no problem, especially with Stealth armour (poison res).

When I finally got to Duriel I was pretty much screwed. I just couldn't over come the cold or avoid him enough to do any damage. So I ended up lvling a few more and respec'd for Conc strictly. So ActII was pretty significant in that case, and that's when I also got the Darkglow armor:thumbsup:

I was able to pretty much tank both Diablo and Baal with the high res, block and Conc. Where I nearly died was in Act 5 in the Abaddon portal in the bloody foothills. I found that a group of frenzied Blood-lords (i think thats the name) were a force like no other. If they have a tough unique boss, then they are much faster already. I also opened up one of those urns in the Ancient Way that spawned a group of them, one Boss with holy freeze... I ran like hell of course. Well anyway, below you can see my layout.

Peace.

I got a lucky find early, dropped by Duriel in ActII, which was Darkglow armor +5 to max res across the board, +10 res all. (80-80-80-67 res)

I couldn't find a good axe or even a decent socketed, so I crafted a blood War Axe.

Blocking was Ancients pledge in ActII, then I moved to plain magic tower shield of blocking in the end.

Kept Anya's +2 Shout barb helm (rare).

2x +1 WC daggers

Gloves, rings and belt had random res mods mostly. 10% ias on gloves. Boots were Hsarus 20% FRW + fire res.

Saved the best charms I could, end game 72% Block + 850 Life after BO.

Merc = ActII prayer, used gear I discarded - Stealth rune word armour and Nadir helm.

2. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

Re: New to HC, just finished Normal.

welcome to HC! are you going to continue on with your guy?

evil urns arent worth it!

3. Barloc

Barloc IncGamers Member

Thanks man. I'll just have to see how it goes. I mean, getting a decent single handed weapon is very difficult. So much so that it makes me want to not play on.

I know all the runes words, crafting recipies and what uniques to look out for, but I'm not willing to do endless runs, which is why I was willing to finish at lvl 33 (which I personally think is low for Baal). I did Act 3 one evening, Act 4/5 in a day.

and yeah Evil Urns are indeed evil.

4. Arkansaw

Arkansaw Banned

just be careful when you get to nightmare, since you are somewhat underleveled

5. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

I have never passed an Evil Urn by unopened. Something about the surprise... I just can't resist them!!

6. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Idd, evil urns are wicked nice :)

You should be able to finish nightmare, I always find that's were my halftwinked (can use items from my other toons, but I have no MF-er :D) or completely untwinked toons run into trouble. They start to progress so slowly that I simply can't dedicate the chunks of time it takes to get from one waypoint to the next ^^

My current dude is at that point. Was a holy freeze/holy shock ranger pally on which L had already respecced a couple points into zeal for bosses (Black flail), but I respecced him to a full frost zealer and will try if that can keep him going.

7. Barloc

Barloc IncGamers Member

I don't think respec is going to change anything for me. It's the main weapon that's always an issue. a 16-30 weapon wont even cut the mustard in NM. But, like Arkansaw said, my lvl is on the low side.

8. Elyxthaxzus

Elyxthaxzus IncGamers Member

Welcome to HC :D

Ironically, my first pally of the season died to that same group of evil lords in abbadon :p hate em with a passion.

My current WW-arian met a group of might buffed ones while he was under amp o_O close call! it was a surprise attack in hell WSK...i was blissfully rampaging through those little act 3 paper-wad spitting flayers that appear often in lvl 3 of wsk, and noticed the had a boss with Might aura.

No biggie, they hit like my neighbors 6 yr old anyways, so i was whistling down by the river as i sqishied them under foot, and suddenly around the corner come running the blood lords and they amped me! I was mid whirl of course...barely squeezed away (glad i set myself up for a long one. think I spazzed and drank half my belts pots.

popped howl, grim totem, and switched on a shield while my merc distracted them with a re-enact of beauty and the beast on ice, and pulled them away long enough to kill the might boss (little freak, had to step on him twice to kill him). pulled the lords @ at a time to finish them off :p After that was was little more careful on that level hehe...

9. stevethatsmyname

stevethatsmyname IncGamers Member

Casters always seem to be much easier untwinked, not having to worry about keeping your weapon current ALL THE TIME.

Especially since 1.10, it seems to be pretty much impossible to kill stuff as melee untwinked (even a twinked melee can get pretty tough in spots).

Best bet is get the best possible weapon you can get for an act 2 merc and just tank for him while he kills everything. An insight ethereal polearm gives extremely good damage for the level if you can get the sol rune (for your merc, not you of course, stick with the weapon/shield!)

Of course take it with a grain of salt, I have not actually finished norm-hell untwinked with melee, just casters. You seem to be doing great so far.

10. Barloc

Barloc IncGamers Member

Thanks. I actually did just respec for NM, then went back to norm to mess around. Glad I went to WW vs Conc at this point. Conc is just too slow.

Even though my 1 weapon was weak, wielding 2 of them and using WW (safely..) yeilds sooo many more hits, even with lousy IAS/Breakpoint.

I lucked out further and a Duskdeep helm dropped, which has very useful damage reduction. Then I just got a Humongous Giant Axe. Wholly crap what a difference. I just tanked Diablo and Baal in one run no problem (using cathans ring for life leech and 1 ring/1 ammy for mana leech.

Most likely I'll go back to shield/weapon for safety ww when I go back to NM, but right now I'm getting lvl's quickly in norm with the setup now.

11. dunnoaname

dunnoaname IncGamers Member

We're trying to get a group going for untwinked game norm-hell if you haven't had enough and want to go again :). I believe it's in the player-match up sub forums.
    And ya it's hard at first, but iunno I guess it's that much more rewarding in the end. Everything else bores me at the moment ie. mf runs.

12. Haru

Haru IncGamers Member

Pfft, evil urnes are beautiful.
    In kind of related news I like horror movies. '-'

13. Barloc

Barloc IncGamers Member

Thank you for that call out. I'm still bent on finishing solo,untwinked and unmuled. Every step closer is keeping my interest up.

At this point I'm now lvl 53 in Act3 NM and have added an upped Rakescar War Axe, "Rhyme" RW Tower Shield with Sigon's boots/gloves. I also just found a Rattlecage Gothic Plate which helps with CB and crowd control. Still have the Duskdeep helm, and if you can imagine, the combo of these items makes for runner-up in the "Ugliest Barb" contest lol.

However, opening normal Evil Urns is no longer and issue, can't wait to try out the NM ones :whistling:

14. Hew

Hew IncGamers Member

well you just inspired me to get a baba goin :yes: i just started SP , and only have hc lvl21 sorc atm. i love the untwinked hc play, and so much more rewarding playing self found. im relatively new to d2 ( just under 2 years), and am completely new to SP. was going to wait on building a barb, wasnt sure about the melee untwinkled in hc, but after reading your posts, im startin one tonight! :crazyeyes:

15. Barloc

Barloc IncGamers Member

Thanks and best of luck to you! I did actually complete NM @ Lvl63 with max block and about 1800 life. If your on-weapon damage is less then 100 max, you'll likely have allot of trouble in the last 2 acts. Just keep looking at the ez 1.09 runewords & cube recipes. A few countess and mephisto runs will help alot for extra items etc.

Entering Hell with the same upped Rakescar is LOL. I feel like Quill Rats and Fallen are like Baals minions all over again.

16. Pailon

Pailon IncGamers Member

Here is the time to farm Baal in NM. I usually don't enter NM till 50 and Hell till 75. I like to be prepared. My Frenzybarb is twinked HC lv 77 atm... But you've inspired me to go untwinked barb.. not Frenzy of course... too risky... Well, off to make a new barb

17. CombatChristian

CombatChristian IncGamers Member

Wow Barloc. Are you not muling a single item? If so, grats. Also, your drops seem quite nice (2x sigon, runes for rhyme, rattlecage)!

18. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

aww man that seems like a total grind.. would be so much easier to get some elite unique from one of the pgs for items game

19. Barloc

Barloc IncGamers Member

Thanks

When I first played the game solo untwinked, it was in 2001 and I didn't play online. I knew nothing muling etc.

Back then things were a little easier, but the challenge made it very interesting for me. Now I have pretty much everything I could ever possibly want in a game that offers no more real challenges with all the gear that I have.

So for me, going HC under my original circumstances presented an interesting challenge for me in the game itself. Leveraging every conceivable runeword, recipe and item drop - without being able utilize anything beyond my own game, was a fun challenge and a mental exercise - but not for everyone of course.

However, although reaching Hell difficulty wasn't too bad, it's easy to see where the Barbarian class has a huge disadvantage in Hell, without muling/trading. Patches after 1.09 really forced more cooperative play, at least in trading anyway, since hell is so much harder.

Obviously, All it takes is one reasonably decent weapon to continue. However, since that is not part of the challenge, I have stopped playing and everything is left as is for now.

Peace