Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New to hardcore, need some advice

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Darkjester, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Darkjester

Darkjester IncGamers Member

New to hardcore, need some advice

my buddy and i are going to be duoing hardcore this time (we have done quite a bit of softcore but not for probably a year or so) and i was wondering what some good combos might be, i generally prefer melee characters and he prefers casters. Im kinda leaning towards a summoner or something while he is still up in the air. any suggestions on combinations and builds to go with them. thanks in advance

2. Intolerance

Intolerance IncGamers Member

Re: New to hardcore, need some advice

I'd go with Summoner Nec and Orb Sorc. Melee chars are very tough to play untwinked since finding a decent weapon is very difficult. This combo would be able to get through Hell Baal untwinked and if you wanted to continue playing after that (not sure what your long term goals are), the sorc could be your MFer.

My take on the summoner would max Raise Skeleton and Skel Mastery and put 1 in the rest of the summoning tree. Clay Golem has a slow target property that works wonders vs. bosses, especially when coupled with Decrepify. For Curses, put 1 in both Amp and Decrepify (make sure you have the prereqs so you can get it at 24). As for Poison/Bone, I put 1 in Bone Armor and definitely invest some points in Corpse Explosion right away, likely maxing it eventually.

Sorc would max Frozen Orb (levels 30-49), CM, and Ice Bolt. I like to get static to 10 right away (levels 6-15). I put one point in Warmth, Frozen Armor, Teleport, and Energy Shield as soon as possible. You should have enough points saved to get CM to about 7 or so right away (from 30 until the extra points run out).

Both characters want at least 34 str (which is possibly where I'd stop) and everything else in Vit. 34 str is the requirement for Large Shield and you can shop them with three sockets in normal a1 and make Ancients Pledge with the Ral Ort Tal runes you get from A5Q2. You can never have enough life.

Sorc eventually wants an A2 NM Defensive Merc (Holy Freeze) and Nec eventually wants A2 NM Offensive (Might). Make due with A2 Norm Mercs until then (Offensive is Blessed Aim and Defensive is Defiance).

Gear will be a problem but you should be able to get through Hell Ball without worrying too much about trading/MFing. A solid wand for the Nec will have +3 Skels and +3 Skel Mastery. Once you get beyond level 6 or so, these mods stop appearing, so if you feel so inclined, you could move 50k gold over to a level 1 and spend a few minutes shopping Akara in A1 until you find a decent one. Until you find a decent sorc orb (perhaps never), you should shop a Nec wand with +Mana and, if lucky, fast cast or perhaps a resist. You can start shopping some 50+ life gear in NMA1 (armor and belt, at least).

Do your Hellforge Quests unpartied so you each get the rune drop. Keep your eyes peeled for Sol and any 4 socket polearm- Insight (Ral + Tir + Tal + Sol) on a merc is VERY helpful.

If you need anything else, please ask.

3. Darkjester

thanks so much for the advice, good to know the hardcore community is helpful

4. BoD Trader

BoD Trader IncGamers Member

Javazon works well with a summoner, as long as sumoner has a skill in lower res the team should be awesome.

5. Darkjester

we decided to go with summoner/sorc, thanks for the info though

6. Darkjester

should i invest any points into the skeleton mages? right now i have points in RS, SM and CE and one point in amp, should i invest 20 or just one to Clay golem? and what about dim vision, would it be wise to invest points into that?

7. Intolerance

Intolerance IncGamers Member

I personally never liked Mages so I only ever put one point. I also don't think you need more than 1 point in Clay Golem. And for Curses, I don't think you need anything but Amp (use 95% of the time) and Decrepify. Others will likely disagree, but this is how I've played it myself.

Definitely get bone armor and keep it full at all times- you can never be too safe.

And remember that once you get to NM, it won't be hard to shop a +2 nec wand, so 1 point skills will be a little bit better.

The general gist will be Nec's minions acting as meat shield and main damage output and the Sorc weakening with Static and slowing with Orb (and HF merc). Amp mobs and Decrep bosses (and some nasty boss mobs).

Oh, are you guys playing in pub games or just two player?

8. Darkjester

we are playing two player games right now, not sure if we will hit up the pubs or not

9. freeflow

freeflow IncGamers Member

Intolerance, any more suggestions for a Necro in HC? It's been around 3-4 years since I have touched the game and looking to get back into HC once I get a softcore char up and am thinking of using the NEcro.

10. sahlakh

sahlakh IncGamers Member

Dim vision is a must skill, because it makes souls/dolls useless, and you can use it in the edges of screen.

Lower resists is also a must have skill when you join a bigger party.

Attract is a very good skill too, because it doesn't override other curses.

Also, I wouldn't max CE even when untwinked, ~10 points should be enough for it to be effective.