Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New to diablo, question bout battle.net and regular

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by fireblast, Jul 8, 2010.

1. fireblast

fireblast IncGamers Member

New to diablo, question bout battle.net and regular

Hey, so I recently picked up the Diablo 2 battle chest with the normal game and expansion and i installed them both. I did make a character to get use to the game a little, and then deleted it so I can actually make a good one now, and I already know what im going to make and everything, but im confused on this single player and battle.net

So, should I make my character in battle.net so I can go online? cause I made a character in the single player mode, but he wasn't available for me to play online with, so if I make one online, will I be able to play him in single player too? or how does that all work?
    cause I want to be able to go online when i want to, but also play by myself too, but then again i dont know how battle.net works entirely yet, is it just the normal game with other people or what? cause im completely new lol. also, when u make a character in battle.net, whats it mean to be a ladder character?

so any advice to a new player to help me get started would be great =D
    Sorry if i sound like a complete noob lol, I just want to get off on the right foot in the beginning.

Thanks!

2. LicentiaBJ

LicentiaBJ IncGamers Member

Re: New to diablo, question bout battle.net and regular

You can play both Single Player and Battle.Net, but you must have different characters in both. You can play your Single Player account on "Open Battle Net" instead, however. But Open Battle.Net is deadsville and when it was alive it was full of hackers. You can play a private game through Open Battle.Net with a friend or alone.

What ticks me off about the Open Battle Net games is that they won't remain open when you leave the game. The Regular Battle.Net games will remain open for a time after you leave them if you've been in the game at least 5 minutes.

Because of this, you can't transfer items from one Single Player Character to another. That's huge time annoying, because how many Meph runs are you willing to do in order to get the Sigon's Set?

LicentiaBJ

3. fireblast

ok, I didn't know about the open battle.net thing, but ya, it is dead lol,
    so if I made a character in battle.net, would i still be able to play by myself when i wanted to?

basically, I dont know if I should make my character in battle.net or single player, and if its battle.net, does it matter if hes a ladder character?

4. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Battle.net and Single Player are seperate animals.

Battle.net is divided between closed realms and Open. Hint, Open is full of hacks, and stuff like that while closed is hosted on Blizzard's servers.

Single player is branched between many forms of play and they play any and every version of the game plus variants.

If you want to go Battle.net, i suggest Closed and plying on East, West or Europe, etc.

If you want to try SP then go here: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Start by reading over the stickied SP Forum Rules and FAQ thread.

5. LicentiaBJ

Create a game with a password that only you know, and no one can join your game.

:coffee:

6. fireblast

alright I got it all figured out =D
    Thanks for all the help!

7. Ladvarian

Ladvarian IncGamers Member

I'm not sure if you know this, or just failed to mention it. There is a program that allows muling in single player, 2 in fact, GoMule and ATMA. Now if you do not want to run these programs then yes there is no way to mule easily. These programs are accepted on these forums and should be in the sticky in the single player forum. Just thought I'd point this out in case someone else decides to read this and base their decision on it.

8. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Being that he just registered, he likely does not know those exist.

9. LicentiaBJ

I was not aware that those programs existed.

So long as those programs won't give me troubles with Blizzard - like a banning - I'll be happy to try them out!

Thanks!

:coffee:

10. Gorny

Gorny Banned

those are both Single player applications/programs...they don't interact with nor can they be used for realm play.