Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New to Diablo II min/maxing, need serious help please (kind of long winded)

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Stewie, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Stewie

Stewie Diabloii.Net Member

New to Diablo II min/maxing, need serious help please (kind of long winded)

I played D2 years ago, but now I'm back and am playing a Sorceress, so far a Lightning Sorceress, but I have some problems, if that's what they are, and I have a few questions.

First, here are my stats as per my character:

Level: 42

Stats (without modifiers):

Strength: 60
    Dexterity: 25
    Vitality: 105
    Energy: 100

Current build:

Cold:
    1pt : Frozen Armor

Fire:
    1pt : Warmth

Lightning:
    1pt: Static Field
    1pt: Nova
    1pt: Thunder Storm
    1pt: Telekinesis
    1pt: Teleport
    9pt : Charged Bolt
    6pt : Lightning
    11pt: Chain Lightning
    13pt: Lightning Mastery

I should probably dual talent, I've done some research but I don't understand all of the abbreviations, lingo, and all of that, so in that regard I'm lost. I'm pretty brand new at all of this.

Questions:

1) In order to have "good" gear in all my slots, is battle.net required to buy/sell? If so, then I guess I'm screwed because I can't seem to get on it, only TCP/IP.

2) If it doesn't cause an aneurysm, may I get a critique on what I should do to maximize my damage output as far as not having to blast a unique that isn't even lightning resistant or anything hundreds of times before he dies?

3) I'm aware lightning damage does 1-X amount of damage, and currently, with the crappy gear I have, it's 1-~915, should it be a lot better?

I was thinking for awhile of switching trees, just to see how the others were, but if there is a way to maximize this spec, that would be fine.

Oh yeah, I spam Chain Lightning pretty much all the time.

2. droid

droid Diabloii.Net Member

Re: New to Diablo II min/maxing, need serious help please (kind of long winded)

0) Dont call them "talents", thats WoW-talk :)

1) no, you can trade in SP via the Single Player Trade Forums here. But it is much easier to trade on bnet. If you can't get on bnet, its probably a technical issue with the ports on your computer - try in the Tech Support Forum for a solution, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to log onto bnet unless you're not using your own CD key that you bought new from the store...

2) Check the stickies here in the sorc forum, you're right in that pure Lightning requires some rather expensive high-end items, especially when you get to Hell mode and 1 in 3 enemies is lightning-immune. You do want a dual-element build, and the guides there explain everything. You'll probably be most comfortable with a Chain Lightning/Frozen Orb sorc (CL/FO), so look for that. All the other abbreviations etc. are pretty easy to figure out, from context :)

3) It doesnt matter as much at your level, it starts to matter more once you get to Hell mode. All the trees have their pros and cons.

3. Stewie

Stewie Diabloii.Net Member

Re: New to Diablo II min/maxing, need serious help please (kind of long winded)

Thanks a bunch

I guess I have a lot of reading to do.