Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

new to d2, never made a necro, is there a build like this? <

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by tee, May 28, 2008.

1. tee

tee IncGamers Member

new to d2, never made a necro, is there a build like this?

I want to try out a necro but I'm not sure what kind of build to make or how to go about it. It seems there's a lot of ways to screw it up. With another character I managed to find Sander's Superstition which I'd like to use. I don't want to just summon a bunch of skeletons/golem and stand in the back while they hack away, that sounds, and from what i've seen, looks, boring to me. Is there a combination summoner/bone build where you can actually get in on the action? What does the skill distribution for it look like?

2. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Re: new to d2, never made a necro, is there a build like this?

Bonemancers should never go hybrid. The bone skills need full attention to be useful. If you don't like summoning, you can choose a poison necromancer or a pure bone necromancer. You can also be a poison/summoning hybrid, but then your skeletons will be weaker than if you go pure summon, since you can't max skeleton mastery. but the option that fits you best is probably the commandomancer. He summons an army, and joins them and fights with melee alongside them. Theres a guide in the sticky at the top at the board. And sanders superstition is the wand part right? Now really, that weapon is weak. It both tries to be a melee weapon, and a casting weapon, but it can't specialize, and fails at both. It's better to have one fighting weapon, and one casting weapon on switch. There are many low level cheap melee weapons (you'll proably find some while adventuring), and a cheap low level casting weapon is gravenspine, that also has some nice stat bonuses.

3. Lundorff

Lundorff IncGamers Member

Do as I:

20 in Raise Skeleton first and then focus on Poison Nova + Synegies. Initially you might find it boring (not that I did), but once you have AMP+CE+Nova you can become very active.

(But I have been told that this build requires some nice/specific equipment to be efficient in Hell. Plan for a lot of MFing lol.)

4. zhadoom

zhadoom IncGamers Member

Its a simple calculation:
    U can get 110 skill points (98 from leveling and 12 from quests)

Poison nova has 2 synergies and is maxed with 60 skills.

Skeletons have only 1 synergie that should be maxed (skeleton mastery). Therefor skeletons are maxed with 40 skills (+1 in summon resist ofc)

Bone (bone spear, bone spirit and teath) require 5 skills to be maxed to have full synergy, that makes 100 skills needed here.

Now if u try to go bone with some skeleton skills, u will have to saccrifice quite a lot of synergies.
    Poison is much easier to combine, since after maxing u still have up to 50 skills to distribute.

If i would be building a poison-summoner hybrid i would go that way:
    max poison nova and synergies 60 skills
    1 in corpse explosion, 1 in prerequirements
    20 raise skeleton, 1 skeleton mastery
    1 in lower resist, 6 in prerequirements
    1 in dim vision (optional, but its a verry nice skill, and 1 skill is usually enough)
    1 in clay golem, 1 in golem maastery, 1 in summon resist

Thats 94 skills total, achievable at level 83 with all skill quests.
    You would have up to 16 skills for customizing your build while leveing beyond 83.

Possible skills for customizing:
    Skeleton mastery: making your skeletons a tougher tank and giving them more punch.
    Corpse explosion: higher radius lets u hit more monsters with each cast.
    Lower resist, boosts your poison damage by further reducing enemy resistances... only few skills make sence here, since diminishing returns cuts the bonus for more down to almost nothing.

If u want your skeletons to just tank, while u can savely cast your deadly stuff, go for a holy freeze merc and raise corpse explosion (+maybe a few in lower resist).
    If u want your skeletons to deal some decent damage as well, go for might merc and choose skeleton mastery.

hope this helps,
    zha

5. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

No love for revives in a summon/poison hybrid? They make boss tanking (and Lister as well) a lot easier.

6. zhadoom

zhadoom IncGamers Member

dont like revives that much... they last too short to be really a main part of a build. If u like some revives, put 1 skill in it, but its optional.

For act bosses: use of decripify + clay golem is enough for hell baal, to not loose even 1 skeleton

For lister: revives are nice to have, although you could do it with just decripify + clay golem recasting as well

The usefullness of revives in general get a lot reduced by having holy freeze.

7. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

Of course I meant 1 point in revive.

Holy freeze shatters bodies for CE. I would never have even consider it for any necro or trapsin. Besides, you need might for your skeles to do decent damage.

8. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

I went the wrong way as some of you might put it.

I maxed bone spear/spirit, I have 1 pt in all sumon skills, 1 pt in all curses, and a few extra in revive (i get 6 monsters).

This is all at lvl 60, I plan to increase Bone wall or Bone prison, but I heard that the Bone prison charges from those boots (marrowalk?) synergize. So far so good, but I need my insight merc to spam the spears.

And the golems... I have 1 pt in each and I find them pretty ****ty, they die too fast, I don't know if I should put more in Golem mastery or pump one of the golems.

9. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Hmm, if I were you, I'd restart my character. But if it's not that important being perfect, it will probably hold it's own in nightmare (but you will get problems in hell). If you insist on continuing on this character, put no more points into revives. With only 1 point and +skills, it will be boosted to a level where you have enough. any more than that is only bothersome. The marrowwalk glotch doesn't work anymore, so max bone prison too. It also wasn't that good that you put a point into fire golem, as it's neither a prerequisiste nor useful. The other golems may die often in the beginning. But with 1 point each in golem, golem mastery and summon resist, and +skills, and the life boost golems get from hell difficulty, your clay golem will survive (clay golems should be the golem of choice except if you use iron golems for a special strategy). Don't pump one of the golems, they'll survive i hell even with only 1 point. But if you want to restart (as I recommend), Max teeth, bone spear, bone spirit, bone wall and bone prison. Put 1 point each in clay golem, golem mastery, summon resist, decreptify, prerequisistes and dim vision. You can skip dim vision if you want to, but it sure has some uses. You can also sacrifice spell damage by putting less points in a synergy (probably bone wall/prison), and get revives too, and maybe sksleton mastery (you don't need to put a point into skeleton masery if you will use marrows though. Even though the bug doesn't work anymore, they're good boots)

10. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

I don't plan to restart this guy. He's not meant to be perfect, is my highest level necro ever, and I just want to know if he can beat hell difficulty. I don't play 8-player games, most is 2-3 players.

My only difficulty is that the necro is very fragile. I don't like skeletons! The revives, are nice, cause they provide enough protection, and I can use bone spear/spirit from behind. Many times I don't even use a golem. I try making them but they died. The revives always kill the bosses for me.

NM diablo was taken down but the Venom lords that spawn on one of the seals. This was in a 4 player game... the revives lasted about 1 minute after diablo was dead, so I guess, "we" killed him in 1 minute. I don't know how skeletons would work here, but the revives never die!

The fire golem was to be used against diablo, that was my idea... it didn't turn out too well. I'll give the Clay one a try.

11. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Before you reach NM Big D your Skellies should practically be immortal. Their hardest fight is against Norm Big D.