Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

NEW TO d2: mf single player or bnet better?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Nerros, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Nerros

Nerros IncGamers Member

NEW TO d2: mf single player or bnet better?

Hi i was wondering how does mf work on bnet. A lot of people seem to prefer single player than bnet and i wondering what about Mfing between the two.for bnet mfing isnt it better to have a bunch of people in your party when mfing but doesnt that also mean that when the items do drop its like a clicking race whoever clicks the quickest gets the item? Doesn't that cause frustration? is that what most people do, just grab a random group of people and hope for the best? or is there another way how people mf on bnet

thanks!

2. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Re: NEW TO d2: mf single player or bnet better?

On bnet, when you play with a group that wants to mf together for a while or repeatedly, you can probably make an arrangement where you rotate rights to dropped items. Use the Player Matchup Forum here to find a group.

When you find a random group on bnet, it's generally the case that the fastest clicker gets the items, though there are exceptions. You can make friends on bnet, but remember that (1) you don't really know these people, and part of that is they may not care if you decide you don't like them, (2) some people on bnet intentionally pretend to be friendly in order to gain your trust and scam you out of items, and (3) just like anything else, there are some real jerks on bnet. However, I've met some people on bnet who I mfed with on and off, and they were very nice and didn't bogart the item drops.

It is also possible to play on Open Bnet, but we don't support that here, and it is full of cheats and hacks.

In SP, you can mf pretty well by yourself using the /playersX command which simulates having more people in the game. You can also play over TCP/IP with others, if you want. We have a SP forum here, and a Multiplayer [tcp/ip] subforum. We also have a SP trade forum.

I play SP since I got tired of the lag and disconnects on bnet along with the rude/annoying people on bnet. I like being able to play solo with static maps, /players8, and such, but still be able to trade and MP when I feel like it. Many people like bnet despite it flaws since they like playing with others at a moments notice and the ease of trade (there are probably other reasons too).

If you're only concerned with mfing and building a large collection of items, then either would be fine. But, remember that in SP, the character files are stored on your computer, so you can use a muling application to store items. This is very convenient if you like to hoard items. I have about 13k items, and I like it that way. Collecting items on bnet was a huge pain to me. The flip side is that in many ways, it's more convenient to trade items on bnet, since you have a rather large pool of potential traders.

Good luck with your decision.

3. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

Yeah not having the constant worry about getting disconnect is a big plus for people playing single-player. Static maps also makes magic finding a whole lot easier as SnickerSnack said, it makes a big difference. The only thing you need to be aware of when playing single player is that you will need the runeword mod to enable 'ladder only' runewords. Its a piece of cake to install, more info in the Single Player Forum. Might see you there I guess.

4. Nerros

Nerros IncGamers Member

Cool, yeah i tried some single player before hmm i'll guess i'll have to think about it for a bit. Thanks for the help!

5. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

If you play SP to finish all the acts, can you play the same charecter on Bnet? I know you can't go the other way....

6. Elyxthaxzus

Elyxthaxzus IncGamers Member

Not really. On open Bnet you can, but that has already been discussed above. On standard Bnet (ladder and non-ladder are the common reference terms) you cannot use your single player toons, and vice versa

FYI - Open Bnet is a place where you can actually play your SP toons online, adn is a separate place from standard bnet. and as you can guess, due to the staggering amount of possible mods available offline from SP (which carry over to open Bnet), open Bnet is a hive of whacky stuff..better to avoid it.

7. TurtleBay

TurtleBay IncGamers Member

To defend Closed Bnet... there is very active trading there.

I mf run in passworded games in closed bnet, so don't get the advantage of the /players x command or the static map in single player. However, I feel alot better that the items I trade for on closed bnet are legit (other than the high runes). This can make all of the difference as I rarely find exactly the item that I need, but can always trade for the last item in the set or that one unique that is needed.

Also, it is easy to find a group that is questing in most acts on closed bnet when I need to get a char through a particularly difficult section of the game.

8. squall78

squall78 IncGamers Member

I enjoy single player because I hate having to hop online just to play. I'm usually solo'ing, so having "/players 8" is awesome. Plus the single player trading forums here are active, so you can always trade with people who don't cheat.