Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New to D1, enlighten me! :D

Discussion in 'Diablo 1' started by xXxGrimmxXx, Oct 14, 2010.

1. xXxGrimmxXx

xXxGrimmxXx Diabloii.Net Member

New to D1, enlighten me! :D

First off, moderators please feel free to delete this thread:

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782343

Alrighty! Got my battle.net issue fixed! So, i'd like to start playing Multiplayer D1 with a legitimate and knowledgable group of players, if anyone is interested. I also have a few questions, none of which are related to the growth of my character.

For starters, is it always like Hardcore mode on D2? Once you die that's it? I was on the third lvl on my way to attempt slaying Leoric, and got ambushed by some kind of crazy pack of rabid gremlins. I watched as my gear flew out around me, and wasn't given the option to respawn and attempt reclaiming my items. So is it safe to assume it's one death only? I don't like the use of 3rd party programs, or anything that alters gameplay, especially when it comes to the Diablo franchise, but I did see something in another topic about copying/pasting character attributes/items in a backup folder? Is this something I should shy away from altogether to keep players whom I hope to go spelunking with on this forum from abandoning me? Or does Multiplayer have a save feature like singleplayer and I should just save every 2 seconds?

Last but not least, I feel compelled to repeat myself once more. I'm new! Who wants to party up and show this D2 Oldbie/D1 Newbie the ropes? :]

2. Noobstorm

Noobstorm Diabloii.Net Member

Re: New to D1, enlighten me! :D

I'm kind of new to D1 too, I have a level 30 warrior and usually hang around USEast and Diablo deu-1 on europe server, name is Noobstorm. This game has lots of hackers but there are some legit players as well, who usually go in the channel Diablo deu-1 on the europe server. Always put passwords in your games or a hacker might go in and corrupt it, and don't play with random people.

If your dead you have to press escape, you will see respawn in town button. You have to go down and get your stuff, it's hardest for warrior. A trick to use is go near the corpse, lay a tp , lure the monsters away from the corpse. Die again, respawn, take tp, and grab ur stuff. It's kind of hard to do that most of the time though :\

If your about to die and surrounded by monsters you can press escape and exit game real fast, but you might exit right when you die so do it fast.

3. xXxGrimmxXx

Hehe yeah, I started playing my warrior ina pub game, a level 21 warrior was "helping" me, although I wasn't getting any EXP since he was slaughtering everything xD One guy joined and my game started to lag, then he left and the lag left, and then another guy joined, lagged my game to the point that it dropped. So i've been playing by myself in a passworded game.

I think i'm doing pretty good so far. In case anyone is interested in my stat/gear setup and wants to shed some insight, here comes a TLDR xD

Base Statistics:

Level: 9 Warrior

Strength: 35
    Magic: 10
    Dexterity: 35
    Vitality: 47

The reason I have 47 Vita is because some shrine gave me +2 hard points o.o

Bonus applied to Statistics:

Strength: 36
    Magic: 40
    Dexterity: 46
    Vitality: 63

Life: 163
    Mana: 44

Armor Class: 28
    Hit Rate: 97%
    Damage: 7-11 w/ Main wep
    Damage: 4-13 w/ Backup wep

Resists:

Magic: 30%
    Fire: 23%
    Lightning: 10%
    --------------------------------------------------
    Gear Setup:

Helmet: White Cap (Armor 1, 15 Dura, Resist Magic 20%)

Armor The Rainbow Cloak (+1 Attributes, Res. All 10%, +5HP, 27 Dura)

Main weapon: Sword of Readiness (4-8 Dmg, 18 Dura, Quick attack)
    Secondary Weapon: Morning Star (1-10 Dmg, 40 Dura)

Shield: Red Shield of Skill (Armor 8, Dura 24, Resist Fire 13%, +10 Dex.)

Rings: Gold Ring of Vim (Chance to Hit +24%, +15 to Vitality)
    Ring of Wizardy (+29 to Magic)

I have a plain Leather Armor as backup if i'm in fear of my Cloak being broken and can't afford to repair it.

I was actually suprised, I shopped the Sword and Shield from Griswold, and kept the Morning star to deal with undead. The Unique cloak was my first unique find, and a nice one as far as i'm concerned. A weird unique zombie guy dropped it on lvl 2 or 3 of the dungeon, not sure which. As for the rings, When I soloed Leoric he dropped me the Gold Ring of Vim, and that thing is sexy :D And the magic ring the lvl 21 warrior found while running me around.

I'm finding shrines to be really cool/weird as opposed to Diablo 2 Shrines, Since I had high magic from level 1, I took it upon myself to learn fire bolt for some dumb reason, as well as charged bolt. I encountered one shrine that gave me the Holy Bolt skill, w00t. Another shrine took 1 lvl away from charged bolt, and made Holy Bolt lvl 2, and Firebolt lvl 2, and then I found a book for each making them both lvl 3. So I think that's pretty sweet :D Shrines are goofy xD And mysterious o.o...

My tactic for beating Leoric worked out nicely, only had to port to town once. His minions came at me first, and I disposed of them with lvl 3 Holy bolt + Morning star. Once it was just Leoric and myself, I used as many holy bolts as I could before I ran out of mana, and then went to wailing him with my morning star. He finally ran me out of potions to heal with, which is when I ported and refilled. I went back in, and noticed I had 2 scrolls of firewall, used one, smacked him a bit, and used the last one which is what finally killed him (And almost me as I tried to grab his ring drop as fast as I could to ID it xD)

Anyways, I dunno why I ranted on like that, i'm just all giddy :D Diablo 1 is much more challenging and enticing than D2, but that could be the fact that it is new to me, as opposed to D2.

Additional Comment:

Why in the world are there only 4 quests to do on Multiplayer? :/

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  4. Noobstorm

Noobstorm Diabloii.Net Member

Your character is fine atm :)

But don't click on random shrines. I usually look up the shrines that I don't know. Because some can give permanant loss to stuff like mana(the +2 vit one is good). If you clicked on a bad one I recommend redoing your char. I had to re-do mine twice because accidently clicked on goat shrines ><

Here is a list and affects of all the shrines http://www.bigd-online.com/JG/JGFrame.html that whole guide has a lot of useful information I recommend reading it.

http://underworld.fortunecity.com/olympic/293/foreign-warrior.htm is a good warrior guide I used.

Since your a low level, I recommend maxing dex first, because it gives +to hit and defense and 10+ points in str gives like 1 damage at that level, but it gives more at higher levels.

Sword and shield is best for warriors, but it doesn't matter much at lower levels.

5. irontigran

irontigran Diabloii.Net Member

good start. heres some pointers-

the shrines... be careful of these. if you dont know what they do dont click on them. check an online list. the holy bolt spell (which youll be able to max down the road anyways) kills your mana for good. this is why I would recommend restarting the char.

items- good going so far, youre taking what you can get and making good choices. the gold/vig ring is cool, as you need as much dex/th% as you can get when youre a warr.
    rainbow cloak is decent when you cant really find anything else, but a lot of those early norm lvls dont have magic monsters, meaning the 10% (best point of item IMO) suffers.. if you can find a plate that has good ac but nothing else it may be worth a try. quick attack sword is good too.
    as for the att. increases- you need tons of dex, so thats what Id max 1st. from there I wouldnt do much vit but dont overlook mag. to survive as a warr down the road youll need to find a way to solve your biggest weakness. this is why I say start over, as the warr has so little mana as it is that losing sucks big time.

6. irontigran

since you are both starting out I would recommend a) playing together :D
    b) using an arty mage as it can be easier to get nice items and will speed up what you can get from the game. youll have more gear to put on the gear dependent guys and whatnot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZAHdHhQ1mI&feature=player_embedded
    theres my guys stuff. all but the jewels are common.

7. xXxGrimmxXx

Well here's an update on where I am so far:

Just cleared the first level of Catacombs easily, getting ready to head to floor 6. I also took the liberty of writing down every shrine+effect for a quick reference guide as opposed to Alt+Tabbing. Been in the same game for idk how many hours, i'm addicted xD.

I think early on before posting this I may have clicked a Fascinating shrine, but only one, so maybe i'm still good to go and haven't completely ruined my character? I'd hate to lose the stuff i've obtained already :(

Anyways, here's the update on stats and such:

Level 13 Warrior

Base Stats:

Strength: 33
    Magic: 8
    Dexterity: 38
    Vitality: 72

I found two Mysterious shrines, and both times they increased my Vit by 5.. lol, on top of that I was focusing more on Vit than dexterity, I made the assumption my hit rate was fairly high. If you guys think my character is salvagable, i'll start pumping all my points into dex.

Stats w/ Bonuses:

Strength: 34
    Magic: 50
    Dexterity: 55
    Vitality: **

Life: 221
    Mana: 58

Resists:

Magic: 20%
    Fire: 33%
    Lightning: 20%

Armor Class: 35
    Hit rate: 101%

The only thing that's really changed gear-wise is that I found a +6 Dex Amulet, and swapped my helm out for one I bought of Griswold, which I finally scraped enough gold up to afford

Topaz Helm of Brilliance: Armor 6, Resist All 10%, +12 Magic

If you guys have a char around my level and want to come poke around with me, i'll PM you the game/password :]

I'll warn you though, I have a habit of covering EVERY part of the level, every room, breaking every barrel, looting every chest/coffin. xD I'm an extensive looter :O

I'm US East btw, but I will change realms if i've got some active and addicted legit players to party up with :D

8. dOOmas

dOOmas Diabloii.Net Member

My lvls abit lower,but that can change haha,i'd like to team up =],btw i think you messed up your magic,the base of a warrior should be 10 i think(yours is 8)

9. xXxGrimmxXx

My base magic is 8 instead of 10 because I encountered 2 Mysterious Shrines that add +5 pts to one attribute and -1 to the remaining 3, and both shrines gave me +5 Vitality, so I lost 2 Magic pts.

10. irontigran

yep, messed up the mag with that Ornate shrine I think it would be.. that would be forever

you wouldnt have to lose all your gear, just be in a game and drop the stuff, come back and give to the new guy, who would lvl fast :) youd need someone else in the game though.

and Id say come to europe deu-1. much better group than east imo

ps, black deaths also kill your char for good. best bet is to avoid lvls 3-5 altogether

11. dOOmas

dOOmas Diabloii.Net Member

or use offensive spells to kill Black Deaths.
    EDIT: Btw be sure to come to Europe "Diablo deu-1"

12. xXxGrimmxXx

Black deaths? o_O Don't think i've encountered any of those thus far.

So new Warrior and make it on europe... humm... I hope people speak english there :/

13. irontigran

black deaths are the bright yellow zombies. if they hit you.... 1 hp lost .... for good :S

bring the old warr to europe, then xfer his stuff to your new one. it can even have the same name.. Im there now.

14. xXxGrimmxXx

Edit- Howdy Europe! ^_^

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  15. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow Diabloii.Net Member

Is it true in D1 you have to click each time for an attack instead of holding the button down?

16. ziambe

ziambe Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Yea man, I remember calculating how many mouse click it would take me to gain one level (it was high 40's mind you) when you have to click each enemy 3-5 times and kill thousands of enemies...This number is unfortunately much much higher in multiplayer where max xp is capped.

17. Romeo Rogue Julietta

Romeo Rogue Julietta Diabloii.Net Member

Wow such a luck to get vitality up & minus magic;):thumbup:

18. Romeo Rogue Julietta

Romeo Rogue Julietta Diabloii.Net Member

They're rather light green, an ugly sort of green just like the Illusion Weavers.