Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New to bowazon, need help.

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by tl998, Feb 10, 2004.

1. tl998

tl998 Banned

New to bowazon, need help.

I am new to the ways of a Bowazon, and I have a few questions:

1) If I get the full Mavina Set, what kind of Bowazon should I be?

2) Is HellRack any good? Do I have to socket shaels in it for it to be good? (I have no ed jewels).

3) What kind of build is easiest for a beginning bowazon to start out with? I don't need ridiculous killing. I just want to be able to live.

2. det

det IncGamers Member

M'avinas seems to work well with a Frostmaiden (but can complement any other build, really). Incidentally, Frostmaidens are also a safe class to play (so that answers questions 1 and 3). As a skill against FI's, you will get many answers..some prefer MS, some strafe..some GA.

Hellrack would give you all the elemental damages you need, but it has high str req and is ugly as ..well...hell.

IAS questions and much more will be answered here:

http://www.diabloii.net/characters/amazon/faq.shtml

Good luck

3. tl998

tl998 Banned

I don't think that FAQ is updated for 1.10. It told me to max guided arrow lol :lol:

4. nutrimat

nutrimat IncGamers Member

I am not an expert or anything, but i have a bowzon that is currently level 83 on the ladder, so I can give you a few tips. I am not going to give you a specific build, but some tips on some skills and items.

* A Hellrack has 163 str req, as does an upgraded buriza. That's too much. If you do get a Hellrack though, I'd recommend double Shaeling it. It's as sloooooow as hell. Even double Shaeled though, it's still slower than a buriza. Double Shaeled Hellrack: 40 IAS. Clean Buriza: 80 IAS. (They're the same weapon type, so that's a 40 IAS diff).

* I started with a Rouge's bow (low dmg but very fast), went on to a Skystrike, then a Magewrath, then an upped Buriza. The Upped Buriza is nice, but the str req went from 110 to 163. I probably would have been better off with a regular buriza, and putting the extra 53 points into dex. Dex increases bow dmg and AR (accuracy).

* I'd recommend a regular Buriaza over Hellrack. You don't get as much elemental dmg, but its a lot faster, you don't have to waste str points, and it does give you cold and piercing dmg. Plus the dmg increases as you level. As far as I know, only 3 bows or xbows increase in dmg as you level: WF, Eagle, and Buriza. In 1.09 I kept a buriza on my weapon switch for phys immunes, but there aren't too many phys immunes now.

* I have heard people say Mav's set is decent, I've heard others say the dmg is too low. I have the items pack for single player that has all the good bows and Mav's set, and have been meaning to test it out but never got around to it. If you really need to find out before you spend a lot of time and effort aquiring the mavs, I think you can still find the single player item pack somewhere on here. If you can't find it, I can probably email it to you or something.

* It's better to have high dex jewelry than +skills, if you have to choose. For instance, I've done some experimenting and found that I do more dmg with a Cat's Eye (+25 dex) than a +2 skills ammy. So I loaded my zon up with dex items like Raven Frost rings, Waterwalk boots, and Razortail belt.

* I love magic arrow. The cost to use it drops with every point you put into it, and eventually (don't remember exactly how many points), the mana cost drops to ZERO. That means if you get hit by a mana burner (and there's a lot of these in hell), you can keep shooting. Plus it doesn't use ammo (magic, don'tcha know), so it's great to switch to when you run out of arrows or bolts. It also does magic dmg, and there aren't too many critters that are immune to magic dmg. I'd rather use Magic Arrows than Guided Arrows.

* Keep in mind that if you rely on fire or cold arrows, half the monsters in hell are going to be immune to it. Not saying you shouldn't use one of these two, just have a backup attack if you do.

* Most people like strafe or multi for crowd control. Seems to me that more people use multi, but there's a lot of strafeazons too. Personally, I've gotten by just fine with 15 points in multi. I don't feel the need to max it, more would be a waste. Here's a little known fact: with multi, you can control the spread of your shots. Move the cursor right next to you when using multi gives you a wide spread that covers about 1/3 of the screen. Moving the cursor to the edge of the screen gives you a narrower spread, good for concentrating on small groups of monsters.

* Maxed out Valkyries are awesome. They're incredibly tough and in 1.10, can kill pretty decent too.

* Critical strike and Pierce are worth at least a few points. Razortail belt and Buriza's give you piercing attacks also. I am not sure if this is added to your points in pierce or not. I like to let my valk get surrounded by enemies, then position myself so my shots pierce a monster and hit others behind him. Keep in mind that Guided Arrow no longer pierces.

* Act 2 mercs and their auras are great, but they can be tough to keep alive in hell if you don't have decent gear for them. Give them Life Leech and Damage reduction items if you can get them. Act 2 Offensive mercs hired in nightmare have the Might aura, which increases the dmg of everyone within range (including you, your valk, and your party members). Act 2 Defensive mercs hired in nightmare have the Holy Freeze aura, which freezes enemies.

* Make sure you have mana leech. You don't really need that much, I have about 7% from my vamp gaze, and that works pretty well. Leech depends on your dmg though, so if you find yourself running out of mana a lot, throw on a manald heal ring or something else that does ML.

5. tl998

tl998 Banned

What is the best bow out there besides windforce do you think? (I can't get a WF)

6. Ravenforce3

Ravenforce3 IncGamers Member

an upgraded Goldstrike is a nice bow. It can deal about the same (without the major boost to max damage that the WF has on it) damage, has 50% IAS built in, ed vs. Demons and Undead and a few other gravy mods.

I've heard of people using an upgraded Lycander's, too. I'm not sure how that'd work out, but it doesn't look too bad.

7. jwfcp

jwfcp IncGamers Member

although wf is still the best bow, now it is only by a slim margin. breath of the dying is good but not worth it imo. hand of justice is my favorite, freezes, blinds, ample ed 380-320, life leech, worth it. witchwild string is a bow thats good to upgrade between the res, open sockets and massive deadly strike. kinda low dmg though. just play with the #'s and find one you like

8. nutrimat

Eaglehorn is more affordable than a WF. You can find them in the trading forums here. It doesn't have the IAS, Knockback, or Mana leech that WF does, but it's got a nice big boost to dex, +1 skills, a nice AR boost, and Ignore target defense. It also increases in dmg as you level, although not as much as a WF.

Other options:
    Silence bow - I've never used one of these, but Vex runes are pretty expensive. Nice bonuses though, +2 skills, big resists, Mana Leech, a little MF, and other cool mods.

Mav's Bow - but if you can afford to trade for mav's entire set, you could probably get a WF.

Buriza - A nice alternative. Even Shaeled, it's slower than a WF, Mav's, or Eagle, but it's got some nice mods, which I mentioned above. Very nice damage, especially once you start getting to the higher levels. Biggest plus: They're relatively easy to get, even high % ones (200 is max). Also they're relatively low lev (42). If I were you, I'd snag one of these until you can get your hands on another one.

Upgraded Lycanders, Goldstrike, Magewrath, etc - I have not used these so I can't really say. If you have the runes to upgrade one of these bows to elite, why not get a Buriza instead? Unless you really really need speed.

9. tl998

tl998 Banned

So just pretty much try to get an Eaglehorn? I think I have a cliffkiller, 2 magewraths, 1 or 2 gold arches...bleh need to mf more! I've heard some people (won't mention names) that are complaining for their godly setup using windforce is doing cruddy damage. IF that is true, how will anything less even survive in hell?

How does a frostmaiden look like? Should I use magic arrow at all or just use frozen arrow to kill PIs?

10. nutrimat

I have a hard time believing that anyone with a WF, godly setup or not, would do "cruddy damage". Methinks it's the skill (or lack of) in the player...
    Maybe they were trying to use a 1.09 build. Bowzon's don't dominate like they did in 1.09, but my zon is doing well in hell with her buriza. The game is harder now especially ladder, and it takes more skill. Too many people expect to be able to rip hell apart at level 65 like they could pre-patch

You're looking for the "best" equipment and the "best" skills, and there really is no such thing. There's a lot of good zon builds, and everyone has their favorites. The whole idea is to have fun and experiment with the chars, find out what you like and what you don't, what combinations work for ya and what don't.
    There are some good guides in this forum and here www.diabloii.net/characters/amazon/strategies.shtml (a bit old but still relevant)
    and here
    http://strategy.diabloii.net/

11. tl998

tl998 Banned

Well that person later added that he is complaining because his WF zon can't kill things quickly in EIGHT player hell games. I don't think we're supposed to be able to solo 8 player hell tho.

Ok: I've been looking at the physical skills, and concluded that GA is out. Should I with Multi or Strafe? I heard strafe can get you killed sometimes or something.

12. jwfcp

jwfcp IncGamers Member

yep, once you start firing youll be stuck in place for a sec or two. the evasion skills will still go off though so its not too much trouble. just use your valk and decoy and youll be fine. besides strafe kills bosses and handles packs.

13. tl998

tl998 Banned

And I also heard if you evade while shooting, your arrows miss!

14. jwfcp

jwfcp IncGamers Member

maybe but most of the time i just quit shooting either by being hit or by the dodge motion

15. ik_iron

ik_iron IncGamers Member

dont forget that it inherently fires a lvl 20 magic arrow. So whatever you are shooting you will always be shooting magic arrows which imho is quite useful

16. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Which bow is the best depends on your build. A Freezing Arrow (FA) build want a fast bow with decent damage. A Strafeazon needs a high damage bow. With MS a fast, high damage bow is best. A Mageazon, using FA and/or Immolation Arrow and relying on a big mana pool rather than leech, benefits the most from a fast bow.

If you're going for FA, I think Eagle is too slow. Pick an upgraded GSA instead.

I've never noticed my arrows missing when I Dodge or Avoid (Evade is for when you're running). You don't even see the animation if you're Strafeing.

Check out the forum's very good bowazon guides, too: lone_wolf's Sniperzon guide and Freyas' FA guide.

17. tl998

tl998 Banned

I mean I heard Strafe arrows miss if you dodge or something. Hrm...I'll need the runes to upgrade my goldstrike. Anyone got an extra PUL? :D

Would a upgraded GSA be better than a Buriza for a FA/MS zon?

18. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Yes. Buriza is all about physical damage, and though that is important to MS and nice for FA, speed is essential for both FA and MS and for all its 80% ias, the Buriza is a crossbow. Upgraded GSA has a very nice physical damage and 50% ias, so that would be a good choice.