Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New Sorc, need some help

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Cragoth, May 3, 2008.

1. Cragoth

Cragoth IncGamers Member

New Sorc, need some help

Hey all, I made a Sorc from scratch last night and as I'm playing I'm finding it dreadfully slow. So slow that I'm only level 6 and I can't stop dying lol, which leads me to think I'm doing something wrong or I'm severely undergeared. I wanted to make a Meteorb Sorc which I've heard isn't that gear dependent. Now what I usually do is use a few firebolts or an ice bolt and melee. Am I doing something wrong? Also, is it usually this painfully slow? When does it speed up around?

Thank you for your time and for putting up with my New Guy questions lol

2. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

Re: New Sorc, need some help

Meteorbs are tricky to level solo, since they save most of their points until the later levels. Save yourself some trouble and join an enchant game.

But if you must level solo, then it would probably be prudent to pump fireball at level 12, since that's the first skill you max. Things should get easier once you get there. Blaze, a prereq, has one good use: Normal Andariel. She has really bad AI and negative fire resist so cast blaze and run around the pool of blood until she kills herself.

3. Spectrus

Spectrus IncGamers Member

I recommend you pick up one of those archer mercs if you're stuck in act 1. Give her a mediocre bow or something and she can be very helpful. In general, I like to stay out of melee range, because sorcs just have so little life/vitality to start with.

In the end, meteorb is a solid build that (with a merc) can do a very good job soloing many areas. But that's like when you have frozen orb and fireball to throw around. At any rate, it will procceed fairly slowly until you get fireball. I recommend doing some leveling up in lower areas until you can get fireball rather than pushing ahead. And once you get Frozen Orb, things can go very quickly.

4. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

Most players reach level6 in under 30 minutes. This early game stage isn't comparable, AT ALL, to the mid/later stages of the game. Things will chance drastically as you reach level 30.
    Collect whatever stuff you can and save up gold to buy items from akara/charsi. That will improve your durability. Items with enhanced defense are especially useful because during the early game, small difference in defense are accounted for heavily. More defense means you get hit less. Get boots/armor/helm/belt/gloves with ED, and pile up gold to buy a nice staff with a bonus to iceblast when you reach level 12.
    Then, save up chipped sapphires to socket your armor to gain more mana. You can also go melee if you buy a staff with +to frozen armor and some damage mods (+2-3 fire dmg, etc).

There's no such thing as 'item independent', by the way. A meteorb will still require around an Ist worth of gear to be proficient. The good thing is, it's a lot of bang for your buck.

5. Cragoth

Cragoth IncGamers Member

Thank you all for the replies. I think I'm starting to get the hang of her. Found a staff with +2 warmth +2 Ice Bolt and +1 Fire Bolt so that helped out a little bit. I figure I won't be using that for too long but I was excited to find it lol.