New Skill Suggestions

Kaeros

Diabloii.Net Member
New Skill Suggestions

Didn't see a thread yet for new Witch Doctor skill suggestions.

Well, here you go!

I'd personally enjoy something along the lines of:

Flesh Golem
Trainable at level 15
Build and animate a golem made from the carcasses of your fallen foes.
Casting the Flesh Golem skill would cause you to "pull" a dead body from around you, crushing it into a mass that would become your own, animated Golem. Repeated casts of the skill at any point in the Golem's lifetime would pull additional corpses into it, increasing its strength and size accordingly. The number of corpses that could be added to the Golem would be directly proportional to how many points are put into the skill, at a max of perhaps 20.

I'd envision a maxed out Golem rivaling the size and shape of the "Thousand Pounder" shown in the gameplay video. A Golem built of only one or two corpses might look a little undeveloped, grotesque, and shapeless.

The disease spell could be cast on it to give it a disease aura (much like the mongrels), and perhaps some other skills could compliment the Golem as well.

What do you think? I think it'd be a perfect fit with the class, a great connection with the Witch Doctor's influence, the Necromancer, and a wonderful showcase for the engine's ability to show great variations in size.

PoXeR

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: New Skill Suggestions

That sounds like a sweet idea. I wouldn't mind killing mobs and having my summon grow stronger with the added addition of slain foes. Nice man.

Malus

Diabloii.Net Member

Since the WD is going fire crazy I'd like to see a return of Volcano!

Fits the WD Theme nicely I think.

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

How quickly would you reach the maximum number of corpses? Does it stay between games? Is it on a timer? Overall I like the idea, just some questions I had.

I must say that the idea of upgrading minions is something I like. I hope the WD has more of these abilities.

Kaeros

Diabloii.Net Member

I wouldn't think it would take long at all to get enough corpses. Anything made of flesh that you've killed could be added to it, and with a twenty corpse limit that could take minutes. I was thinking that, if the WD was standing amidst a field of bodies, one could just hold the skill button down and the bodies would, one by one, join into the Golem.

Timers aren't any fun, so I think he should last until death of some sort. I don't know yet what they plan to do with summons on logout..

Another idea for him that fits with the skills already shown could be the ability to detonate him. Max capacity golem explosion could = massive damage, giving the strategic element of being able to take time to harvest corpses to create a huge bomb to take out a room of monsters. Greatly diminished effect on bosses though, maybe.

Mad Mantis

That is actually an interesting idea. Should higher level summons make a bigger splash when detonated, or should it be the same for all minions?

HRP

Diabloii.Net Member

I would like to see the WD be able to enchant his fellow party members like he enchants his minions.

hestah

Diabloii.Net Member

Perhaps different mobs risen to make the golem would gave him different abilities, like life leech for a vampirelike foes corpse, or desease cloud wich spreads around him as he walks for a poision type or zombie mob.
Each risen corpse of same type would increase effectivnes of that ability or you could make one with many different, but weaker abilities.
Maybe on some cartain monsters he could be able to steal other classes skills for a short amount if time.
Like some shout to increase his the Witch Doctors, his summons and perhaps other party members defense or something for a while.
Perhaps I'm going too far now lol

jakotaco

Diabloii.Net Member

A flesh golem sounds cool, maybe more for a necromancer than a witch doctor but it sure seems a nice concept. It could possibly be more into the "theme" with some kind of big mindless brute summon that gains power by the witch doctor trapping more and more souls in it. Appeareance change would probably have to be more subtle in that case, like some unholy glowing aura or something in it's eyes... (but a growing golem would be cooler) For after all, the amazons of D2 doesn't have "that" much in common with what was usually associated with them.

Some other skills from me:

Volatile Infection (Curse)
If a cursed monster is slain, it will explode - damaging nearby enemies. Duration, Area and Damage increases with higher level.

The damage better not be too high, maybe something close to 1/4 of a weaker mob's hp excluding resists. As once one goes down many nearby mobs will already be damaged a lot which might be enough to start a chain reaction. (Imagine that: an "infectious" corpse explosion)

Voodoo Frenzy

The Witch Doctor commands an angry voodoo spectre to enter the mind of his foe, forcing it to destroy anyone threathening the Witch Doctor.

Temporarily enslaves a target non-boss enemy. The enemy gets it's attack power greatly increased while enslaved. Duration, Minion Damage, Minion Attack Rating and Minion Attack Speed increases with level.

The point is that conversion based builds are usually, while a cool concept, weak in damage output. With careful tweaking of the damage stats of the enslaved minion this could turn an annoying mob to a great toy of destruction as it goes into a frenzied rampage against it's former allies.

Queen Mebd

Diabloii.Net Member

If the idea of a flesh golem seems to be a bit too much like a necromancer, perhaps a beefier summon not unlike the dogs the witch doctor summons could be the way to incorporate it; perhaps they could eat corpses much like the druid's dire wolves to power up. Instead of just getting a generic damage boost, maybe they could receive a bonus based on the attributes of the fallen monster they devour.

Zeek

Diabloii.Net Member

I think there really needs to be some sort of voodoo mind control where he can take command of some enemies. Bosses and champions would most likely be immune.

I hope he can summon some jungle type creatures. Snakes, lizards, bugs, etc. I don't know about him having a golem though. Seems like something that should be reserved as a necro skill.

Mad Mantis

Voodoo Frenzy

The Witch Doctor commands an angry voodoo spectre to enter the mind of his foe, forcing it to destroy anyone threathening the Witch Doctor.

Temporarily enslaves a target non-boss enemy. The enemy gets it's attack power greatly increased while enslaved. Duration, Minion Damage, Minion Attack Rating and Minion Attack Speed increases with level.
This idea I like. How about adding a constant life drain to balance out the damage output? It could function a bit like the timer on Revives. Makes the monsters handy weapons, but less likely to be overpowered.

Kaeros

Diabloii.Net Member

A flesh golem sounds cool, maybe more for a necromancer than a witch doctor but it sure seems a nice concept. It could possibly be more into the "theme" with some kind of big mindless brute summon that gains power by the witch doctor trapping more and more souls in it. Appeareance change would probably have to be more subtle in that case, like some unholy glowing aura or something in it's eyes... (but a growing golem would be cooler) For after all, the amazons of D2 doesn't have "that" much in common with what was usually associated with them.

Some other skills from me:

Volatile Infection (Curse)
If a cursed monster is slain, it will explode - damaging nearby enemies. Duration, Area and Damage increases with higher level.

The damage better not be too high, maybe something close to 1/4 of a weaker mob's hp excluding resists. As once one goes down many nearby mobs will already be damaged a lot which might be enough to start a chain reaction. (Imagine that: an "infectious" corpse explosion)

Voodoo Frenzy

The point is that conversion based builds are usually, while a cool concept, weak in damage output. With careful tweaking of the damage stats of the enslaved minion this could turn an annoying mob to a great toy of destruction as it goes into a frenzied rampage against it's former allies.
I absolutely love the "contagious corpse explosion" idea.. unique twist on an old-favorite and I think it'd be an absolute blast to use.

I was never a fan of the Necromancer's Revive ability. It just didn't have any "oomph" for me. Whether or not numbers are tweaked so it's a powerhouse, I just never found anything too interesting about controlling a creature that's identical to the creatures around it.

Maybe, upon control of a monster, a cool-looking "shadow demon" rises over the head of the creature to 'puppeteer' it, so to speak. Or..something to crank up the cool. I dunno.

As far as the Flesh Golem not fitting the archetype of a Witch Doctor, I actually derived a lot of the idea from the Zombie Wall skill they showed. It seems they're interested in associating the Witch Doctor with animating or calling upon the dead. But yeah, I agree, it's more Necromancer-ish.

Last edited:

Stafir

Diabloii.Net Member

Actually, simple idea on the golem..and a way to make it need to get more flesh over time.

As it gets damaged...corpses melded into it disintegrate, meaning the corpse count for the golem goes down, it getting weaker and weaker over time. So you need to recast the spell every so often in order to get its corpse count back up. For ease of saying...corpses inside of it are damage one at a time..and in the order they entered (the oldest getting damage first). If you 'overkill' one corpse..then the rest of it spills over onto the next corpse.

That would seem to make a half decent way to handle the skill to me.

Kaeros

Diabloii.Net Member

Actually, simple idea on the golem..and a way to make it need to get more flesh over time.

As it gets damaged...corpses melded into it disintegrate, meaning the corpse count for the golem goes down, it getting weaker and weaker over time. So you need to recast the spell every so often in order to get its corpse count back up. For ease of saying...corpses inside of it are damage one at a time..and in the order they entered (the oldest getting damage first). If you 'overkill' one corpse..then the rest of it spills over onto the next corpse.

That would seem to make a half decent way to handle the skill to me.
Would it have a life bar, too, or would the corpse count literally be its life gauge?

Sounds a tad high-maintenance, since most people like their skills running at full capacity and that would mean constantly having to 'patch' the Golem. Maybe not, though, because one of the traits of the Necromancer gameplay was constantly having to re-summon your armies. However, I was envisioning the Golem as *part* of your army and not the focus of it, so it wouldn't be a good thing to have to constantly devote attention to it.

Maybe a flat-out timer is another idea, but then that brings up the questions: Does the timer begin after the first corpse is added, regardless of how many are added afterward? Does the timer restart with the addition of a new corpse? Is the timer so low that it's a constant bother or so high that it's pointless?

Just can't seem to think of a fun option to keep it in check.

Anyway, another new skill could be Formaldehyde, which would passively improve the life, armor, and longevity of the WD's undead summons, including my Flesh Golem, the mongrels, and zombie wall, among other things.

Stafir

Diabloii.Net Member

I'd figure the corpse count will literally be its life gauge. If you want to simplify it is..as it looses so much life the corpse count is reduced by an equal amount. The basic idea is just a creature that looses power as you use it, but depending on how powerful you are, or how well you can keep it protected, you can cause the power drain to be much slower.

This causes a reason to recast it. And yes I was thinking that hey you had to recast summons in the part of both the druid and necro. But remember this is one skill..skeletal warrior was also one skill, that you needed to recast often but, ontop of that. You had a golem, that could easily die as they usually tanked, mages to recast, revives on a 3 minute timer that might die even earlier as well.

Meanwhile the druid had his choice of one of 3 diff main summons (never could summon all of them at once) the temporary ravens, who died after so many hits, and the utility vines that were usually easy to kill as well. Oh and I forgot about the aura spirit that also died at a decent clip.

Basically..both classes had to re-summon every so often, and I think the homunculus needing corpses re-grafted every so often would greatly help to do this, while not being thematically the exact same thing.

smartdot

Diabloii.Net Member

the only skill idea i have for the witchdoctor is changing firebomb to moltov cocktail.

patriach owen

Diabloii.Net Member

Maybe some spells that have very good damage, like something similar to DII's druid armageddon, but that require the WD to "channel" the spell for the duration of its efect... the summons tanking abiltys would come more in to play now also...

AND i would love to see somehow summonables that can do stuff in pvp some how... unlike necro's that summon skeles then they get wiped by 1 blizard/WW/rabies/hammer

mastercman

Diabloii.Net Member

i would see more of like a soul golem that gathers souls from dead bodies. it seems less necro and more voodoo to me