Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New sets in silhouette

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Risingred, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Risingred

Risingred Diabloii.Net Member

2. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: New sets in silhouette

and here i thought we could not possible make it look worst then it already is:surprise:

Lets convert it to 2d and make a la Linea strip out of it. Who the hell needs a visual aid among visual cues to understand what class is what class and what gender they have:crazy:

I dont know about the rest of you but i actually plan to look AT my character not some stupid outline that actually makes it HARDER to see how your character look. :steam:

3. Risingred

Ha. You don't know what a silhouette is or what it's for, do you?

4. Adree

Adree Diabloii.Net Member

Witch Doctor (both male and female) - yes.
    Barbarian (female) - yes.
    Wizard (both male and female) - no.

5. Kiroptus

Kiroptus Diabloii.Net Member

As much as I have my criticism about the item sets, at least the silhouettes do match the classes.

Its basic character concept art to make a silhouette that matches the character and blizz is expert on that department, so it seems to me that they nailed it very well. The silhouettes only, nothing seem to stand out as incredible from the sets.

6. Monster

Monster Diabloii.Net Member

Being that we already know how the sets look without silhouetting, it's really hard to answer your question.

7. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

We can't know until we have comparisons based on the actual camera angle the game uses.

8. Risingred

Sure you can. You just look at the picture and answer the question.

The character is the character, no matter what angle or distance you view them in. It should be representable regardless of other factors. Same could be said for the monsters or spells.

If anything, making this image made me hate the male wizard's set a bit less. It makes more sense to me when put into this perspective.

9. lone_wolf

yes i know what its for but you will never see the character classes in silhouette anyway.

Its kind of hard with the isometric view and all, but i guess you didnt think about that.

Besides i dont need a silhouette to know what character i am playing nor what others are playing i will see it on their look(in color too!) as well as their skills.

Just as i dont need and never will need the damn red outline. I will disable it in my game the first thing i do when i can make setting changes.

10. Risingred

The thing is, you will be seeing things in silhouette. Your character, spells, monsters, landscape, architecture. You're going to see them every time you quickly scan the screen. You're not going to be taking in every detail; you're going to be isolating and tracking shapes. And if there is a lot going on within the game's frame, you're going to have to have shapes you can quickly "read".

So my question is, more or less, when looking at the silhouettes, do they read as their respective classes and genders? I personally think they do.

11. Larik

Larik Diabloii.Net Member

in silhouette the male wizard's helm actually doesn't look that bad.

12. Monster

Monster Diabloii.Net Member

When I can't actually see it, it doesn't look too bad! :D

13. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

I think you're missing his point. You can easily identify each class/gender just by looking at their posture. The question is whether the designers have succeeded in making the armor so distinct that it makes the identification process even easier.

Personally, I'd say they have. Wizard armor gets angular, regal shapes (hats play a noticable part in this). Witch doctor armor looks animalistic and jagged (horns, feather and fur). Barbarians look heavy, partly thanks to their large shoulders and gauntlets. As for the others, time will tell.

14. konfeta

This is so wrong I don't know where to even begin. Wait, I know where! Pick up a random asymmetrical object.

Draw its silhouette.

Now change the angle/distance at which you are looking at it from.

Draw its silhouette.

OMFGHAX!

The silhouettes look distinctive when zoomed it at basically eye level angle. They will look different when looked at effectively from a 3 story building. You can guess that Blizzard succeded here, but you won't know until you witness game footage contrasting the game characters in their natural habitat (in an ocean of monsters and corpses).

15. lone_wolf

your definition of the word silhouette differs from mine so no i wont see a silhouette anytime i play the game unless any character would suddenly find itself in a doorway being backlit with no external objects in view. Also konfeta is right in that any silhouette would look very very different depending on the angle you look at it from.

shapes i will see but i will not magically narrow my sight to only the focus of my eyes i will still take in everything around. Besides i wont see the characters as one shape but as many since i will identify the armor parts as different shapes, the character model itself as another and so forth.

We already seen the character classes of course we will be able to spot the difference between them neither of them look like the other(nor doe the sexes look alike).

We will use much more then simple shapes to identify whats going on in the game so its a moot point anyway.

16. Flux

Flux Administrator

Interesting feature. As others have said, strong, iconic, instantly-recognizable silhouettes/outlines are something the Bliz artists talk about at every chance they get. For monsters as well as characters. The armors should be distinctive and class-specific, in appearance, so you can tell who and what you're looking at in a blink, no matter the lighting conditions.

I skimmed through the gallery and found a few shots in which silhouettes are all, or nearly all, you can see. This sort of view occurs constantly in a game with as many explosions and light sources as Diablo 3 has.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=851&title=male-wizard-waves&cat=561 -- Monster silhouettes. With good art design you'll be able to tell them apart even like this, at a glance.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=870&title=barbarian-charges&cat=560
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4247&title=party-in-the-stinging&cat=582
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4232&title=the-party&cat=582
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4225&title=party-chaos&cat=582 -- The monk is actually the most frequently silhouetted, since his has so many explosions from melee combos.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3523&title=glowing-death&cat=561
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=850&title=witch-doctor-psycho&cat=561 -- Any char on a bright surface, like the Act 2 desert, is essentialy a silhouette. Nice job on the WD posture and costume here; instantly clear which class you're viewing.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=806&title=seven-sided-strike&cat=561 -- The Monk's SSS skill is nothing but silhouettes

http://diablo.incgamers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=807&title=way-of-the-hundred-fis&cat=561 -- More monkplosions.

17. Risingred

Do you know what the difference is between a square and a sphere?
    How about a square and a sphere that has many different textures and colors?

Okay, now how about a sphere that also contains pyramids, cones, and other geometric, three-dimensional shapes? And they all have textures and colors?

Because, I mean, yeah. Physics. Woo.

Holy crap a good post from someone who actually understands what's going on. *heart attack*

If I had more of a mind for minutiae, I would pick one of the screenshots you gave and I would have cut out the shapes of the monsters and the player. That would have made my point just as well as what you posted but I doubt most people are even going to understand it to begin with, for reasons I don't understand myself. :p

The one you pointed out that interests me the most is this:

http://diablo.incgamers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=850&title=witch-doctor-psycho&cat=561

Because we generally see the WD without extravagant headgear. But yeah, the posture is having a lot to do with it. Which means his gear has to add to that silhouette, not subtract from it. So I wanted to see what the helmets looked like in silhouette, and I think they'll be fine. Even the starfish.

18. konfeta

Physics. Great thing, I agree. Now try biology. If you can instantaneously find me a cube in a pile of pyramids, God will give you a medal. You can give them randomized textures and colors if you want - if the cube's color is not unique, it will still be difficult to find it quickly.

Ever seen a Terran infantry ball in SC2? It's a pain in the arse to find Ghosts in it. So, I repeat - until we see gameplay footage proper, we won't know whenever Blizzard artists actually succeed with their shapes. Don't forget to consider motion and attacks effect spam.

19. Risingred

Now we're talking.

Okay, an MM ball: naturally it's going to be hard to tell them apart. Put a thor in there and that's the size of your D3 character.

However, if Blizzard only posted one hand from each character, would you be able to tell what character/gender it is from the hand? My bet is yes. What does that tell you?
    You will see the character from many, many angles. It is incredibly important that they are read properly for the exact same reason you put forth. You aren't arguing anything. I can't believe half the conversations on these forums even occur. Boggles the mind.

"We shouldn't design the characters and monsters until they're in the game in the isometric perspective. We won't know anything until then. Biology!"

I don't know if the issue is with me or what, but I write some incredibly simple-to-understand points, but people don't seem to understand them. I have never had this problem before the d3 community spawned.

20. konfeta

I think I was just arguing for sake of arguing. You are explaining their intent. Which I know. But I am arguing the certainty of whenever they succeeded at it. Which you can't know.