Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New scholarship for white students only

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sergeant, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

New scholarship for white students only

Someone should have done this a long time ago. I hate that college acceptance, scholarships and financial aid are given to people based on the color of their skin. But let whites try it and BAM, they're a bunch of racist bigots.

Source

The student group, College Republicans, is a minority himself, receiving a $5,000 scholarship open only to minority groups.

Look at all the race based things out there, BET, Ebony, JET, minority scholarships, government grants and aid for minorities, FUBU and so on. ALL are designed specifically for or are only available to blacks or other minorities. It's something that's bothered me for a long time.

What if whites had come out with a counterpart for these? WET (White Entertainment Television, heh), Ivory (counter for Ebony magazine), white only scholarships (well this one has happened now, though only minimally) and a clothing line designed by white people and meant for white people. It's silly in some instance like clothes because we pretty much wear what we want but in many other instances, publications and media stations created and designed for blacks are applauded and supported but no one will touch a white entertainment station or an Ivory magazine because we'd be labeleb as racists, no matter what the content of those white people mediums.

Look, I know not all blacks are racist against whites and not all whites are racist against blacks. I know Ebony magazine and BET are not there to slap whites in the face. They're there to give content that blacks will watch, read and can identify with. What angers me is the now inequality in what is tolerated and ok for blacks or minorites to have or do and the same is criticized when whites do. It's reverse racism and it's wrong. For a time, blacks were the minority heavily discriminated against, for a time it was chinese laborers or most any other minority coming to america a long time ago.

Today's discrimination is largely on the shoulders of the white race, specifically on the shoulders of the white male. I'm not saying all other minorities discriminate and are racist against whites. That's certainly not the truth. It's just a very loud minority that seem to be doing it.

I don't expect this thread to change a thing either so complaning about me complaining (hypocritical anyhow) will do no good since this is only a rant in a public discussion forum anyhow. I just want to point out an article I saw about someone (a minority no less) creating a tiny scholarship for white people only and the mantra behind race and how our society is handling it these days.

Another point. It 10 or 20 years when hispanics replace whites as the majority in this nation, does that mean whites will be eligible for these same scholarships now? It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Discuss and keep it above the belt. This is a discussion, not a foodfight.

2. toader

toader Banned

I totally agree with ya Sarge.

Reverse racism has bothered me for awhile, and is one of my pet peeves. Minorites try to hard to make themselves NOT oppressed, that they end up oppressing all the others. Seems kinda ignorant if you ask me.

The only argument I could partially understand regarding these minorities scholoarships is that they are a way to "pay back" the minority community for whatever oppression their minority has gone thru. I dont as white people we have really gone thru any oppressing times as a race.

But my opinion is...let the whites have a scholarship...if only for the purposes of showing other minority scholarships how silly it is to wish for equality but then want separate standards and scholoraships.

You want equality, fine, lets have equality. Maybe the court should rule that no scholarship should be minority and that all persons should be able to apply for it. Then we would have affirmative action on scholarships, so many people of different races would have to recieve one. And while were at it, why dont we even out the scoring for National Merit Scholars, and other achievments handed out based on ACT scores. Ill have to find a soure, but here in Oklahoma, the bar is different for each race. There is a certain ACT score you must acheive to be National Merit Scholar, and its different for each race. I think asians are highest at like 33, white about 31, hispanics and blacks are down around like 28. Why dont we even out those too?? Lets just make it so that everyone has to score a 30-31 to recieve the honor. Awww...we cant do that because then there will be hardly any blacks and hispanics in the group...and that would be racism. So instead, lets just lower the standards for them...that makes sense doesnt it. :scratch:

Sorry I just went on a rant there, its just an aggervating issue with me. People want equality when we ARENT equal as races. Why cant we just accept the fact that different races are better at different things. Asians better at being analytical, blacks are much better athletes...the list goes on. Why must we try and force everyone to be equal.

People do not take what Im about to say the wrong way. Based on the previous ACT scores levels for different races, its quite obvious what that impies. As an employerer, knowing this, why in the hell would you want to higher the lower end??

Now Im not racist by any means. But Im kinda sick of people trying to force all things to be equal, when we arent.

Now that my rant is over: No, I dont think white only scholarships should be allowed, but, I dont think any "race only" scholarships should be allowed. If you wanna give scholarships based on income, political party, religion....fine, just not race.

3. Lone_C

Lone_C IncGamers Member

Reverse racism? I know a lot of people call it this, but why not just plain racism? That's all it really is. Sure, SOME whites 150 years ago treated SOME blacks poorly, but does that mean that whites today somehow owe blacks something? Hell no. :mad:

4. TheOgreMan

TheOgreMan IncGamers Member

I agree: reverse racism is a bad term. This can only be called "racism", simple as that.

I disagree with Sarge when he says that most discrimination is put on whites; I think that true mutts have the brunt of it. I am 1/4 Korean, 1/4 Italian, and a mixture of caucasion races. I cannot, however, qualify for any scholarships, etc that go towards any of these. I'm not enough asian to qualify, not Italian enough, too much non-white to qualify for white only stuff (although there are nearly nil of these). I am just doomed to be mutted forever.

5. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I might be upset if the scholarship wasn't for a measley $250 and Roger Williams University wasn't a 2nd rate school. The amount of money and the school just make it funny.

6. toader

toader Banned

Well, I call it reverse racism because....in an attempt to deter racism, more racism occurs. Its not just plain out and out racism.

Reverse racism is racism that occurs because another group or persons was trying to prevent racism.

7. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

Wow. I mean. Yeah.

8. toader

toader Banned

Do you think it wasnt appropriate for me to say that?

By saying "Wow," are you implying that I am wrong and that all races are equal. I am going to assume that.

Its attitudes like yours that leads to affermative action BS and racist BS. Listen, WE ARENT ALL EQUAL, IM NOT AFRAID TO SAY IT, ASIANS ARE SMART, BLACKS ARE ATHLETIC, THATS LIFE. We should use each races gifts to our benefits instead of trying to plug everyone into equal holes.

Next time say something more intelligent than just "Wow."

edit: I can just see it coming, so Ill deter it now because I know a bunch of tightassed asshats will want to say something. When I said "we arent all equal" it did NOT mean we should not all have equal rights.

9. thejdawg2

By saying that "Asians are smart, and Blacks are athletic" you are making those skills exclusive and mutually exclusive to others. Blacks are athletic, but not smart. Asians are smart, but not athletic. Etc. You don't see anything wrong with that statement?

10. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Toader... can you back that up in some way?

11. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

Step right up, folks! For just ten cents, one tenth of a dollar, a mere 20% of two bits, you can see Ignorance Personified! That's right - the one, the onle, the stereotyping machine, able to make grand assumptions based on absolutely no facts at all! Get your ticket here!

"I'm not racist but..." is the second most racist phrase in the english language, ranking right behind "some of my closest friends are black, but...".

12. toader

toader Banned

Well, obviously you have your standouts in each race.

But taking the race as an average...no I see NOTHING wrong with that statement.

Apparently neither does the NBA, NFL, etc...and neither does the National Merit Scholar Program for setting the standard needed for asians MUCH higher than that for blacks or hispanics.

13. toader

toader Banned

Fine...I dont want to get into this argument.

I concede to each of your points.

No race is more gifted than any other at all. I dont even know why I said that. What a stupid biggot I am.

14. Intolerance

Intolerance IncGamers Member

OMG but I'm (not really, just for example) part asian and part black and part polish and part irish. I guess I'm a smart athletic stupid drunk!

15. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

Hey, you said it, Tolerance! ;)

16. thejdawg2

Saying that someone is inherently better at someone at something because of and only because of their race is the exact definition of racism.

17. toader

toader Banned

Im reverse, Im not conceding, now Im just angry that you people, well 2 of you, have tried to label me as racist by saying that races are different in different areas.

WRONG. I didnt say anything about exclusivness. I said asians were smaterER and blacks were MORE athletic. Not once did I say blacks had no intelligence and asians had no athletics.

Yes I can.
    Link: Check down toward the end of the article for a breakdown of average test scores by race.

As for athletisism...just look at pro-sports.

So, im saying that we are all different but its ok that we are different, we should just use it to our advantage....and you proceed to call me "Ignorant." Brilliant.

Also, you misquoted me. I never said "Im not racist but..." I said one completly separate sentence: "Im not racist." Then I started another sentence with: "But.." The reason I felt I needed to put the qualifier "Im not racist." in there is because of what just happened. People will take and distort what you say.

Listen people. Im am all for 100% equal rights for everyone. But the facts are facts, some races are more gifted than others. Im not excluding any races from anything by saying that. Any individual can be smart, athletic, ect.... But on average, races are different. We, as a society should learn to accept that and try to use it to better our social system.

(p.s. I would seriously like an apology from the people that called or implied I was racist or "Ignorant". Since I called myself a biggot, Ill break the ice. Im sorry toader.)

18. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

And I suppose you think men are better at math than women?

Here's a question for you:

Are men better at math because of their sex, or because society tells women that they aren't as good at math as men?

19. toader

toader Banned

WRONG.

Thats not racist. Racism is hating or being prejudice against someone for their race. I dont hate anyone, im not prejudice, nor do I discriminate.

20. toader

toader Banned

By asking that question you are:

1. offtopic
    2. begging the question that men are better at math
    3. asking the question without giving an optional answer that wont led the person that answers into inadvertantly saying that men are better at math than women.

Nice try. This topic is not men vs women. And I also dont appreciate the way you try to set up the person answering the question for failure.