Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New player

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by pebbles, May 13, 2008.

1. pebbles

pebbles IncGamers Member

New player

Ok, so I've played the game before, but just for kicks. I recently reinstalled D2 and I can't figure out what I should aim for as far as strength, vitality, energy, dexterity distribution points. And also the talent builds. The Frozen Orb skill looks like a lot of fun to me, but I just can't seem to figure out where I need to put points prior to being able to use that spell. Please help me D2 forums! You're my only hope.

/Princess Leia off

2. prion

prion IncGamers Member

Re: New player

are you fruity or cocoa???

Frozen orb is a great skill. In fact it's so great that it's effective with only the skill itself maxed and a few points in cold mastery. leaving you plenty of room to add something else. it is that "something else" that you work on before level 30.

before we can help you further, please tell us what verison of the game you are using, i.e. regular or xpac, do you have the latest patch, are you playing online or solo.

Welcome to the forums :)

3. LordHoth

LordHoth IncGamers Member

First off, welcome back!

Before anyone else points this out, you can go to the Sticky at the top of the page here. This has plenty of guides which point out skill distrobution, stat placement, and potential equips. Given that your just starting out, I'd say a pure blizzard sorceress or a Meteorb would be best, use those sorceresses to MF for good equipment and deck themselves/other future characters in decient stuff.

4. saellison

saellison IncGamers Member

If you want to use frozen orb make a meteor/frozen orb sorceress. Here is a good guide to follow. http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=254070 . If I understand your post correctly you are having some difficulties navigating the skill tree window. In order to be able to use frozen orb you must have put at least one point in each skill the lies on the little pathway pointing to frozen orb. So you need at least a point in: Ice Blast, Ice Bolt, Glacial Spike, Frost Nova, Blizzard, and Frozen Orb.

The guide lists plenty of good starting out equipment but my favorite setup for a sorceress just starting out is this:

Tarnhelm or Peasant Crown or Sazabi's Helm(the resist helps)
    10 Fast Cast Rate amulet
    Suicide Branch, "spirit" sword is another cheap option
    "Stealth" armor
    Ancients Pledge for convenience, 3 Perf Diamond shield otherwise
    Magefists, rares with resist until you can get Magefists, Chance Guards for MF.
    A nice starting belt would be a crafted caster belt.
    2x 10 fast cast rate rings. Resists are nice
    Any boots will do. Look for ones with resists/FHR/MF.

After you get used to playing with a sorceress you can go for some more MF if you want. You can switch the helm out for a 3 P topazed helm. Switch the "Stealth" armor for "Wealth". With this MF set-up I can Magic Find decently on a new Mete/orb sorceress. The trick is to teleport a lot so you can avoid getting hit.

5. pebbles

pebbles IncGamers Member

Lol thanks for the WB. Yeah, I was lookin' at that link that you posted, but my concern is when and where to put the points in. I play L.O.D. online and and to my knowledge I have the latest patch.

P.S. Pebbles(z) is my character on WoW :laughing:

6. pebbles

pebbles IncGamers Member

Another question. When it says prereqs, I'm guessing I should place 5 points in each of the skills down the tree prior to reaching Frozen Orb? Like last night I was messing around. I'm 27 atm and in the cold tree I have 10 points in ice bolt, 1 frost nova, 1 frozen armor, 2 ice blast, 1 shiver armor, 1 chilling armor, 1 glacial spike, and 1 in blizzard. Now in the light tree I have 5 in CB, 1 in telekenesis, 1 teleport, 1 lightning. And 1 in warmth in the fire tree.

7. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Stats:

Strength - Enough for gear. You don't hit monsters, you spam them with spells.

Dexterity - Opinions split here. You can either go max block with a good block shield (75% is max, hover your pointer over defense window to see block%). Or, you can ignore block/dexterity, pump vita and pick some offensive shield like Spirit (available in closed battle.net Ladder only).

Vitality - As much as possible. Life is your... life. It is important to have as much as possible.

Energy - nothing. You will get enough mana and mana regeneration from items and 1 point in Warmth (+skills will do the rest).

Skills:

To get to Frozen Orb, you have to meet the prerequisites. You need to put 1 point in: Ice Bolt, Ice Blast, Frost Nova, Glacial Spike and Blizzard. Simply put: follow the arrows :wink2: How difficult is this? You only need 1 level in a prerequisite to get the ability to train a higher skill.

Max Frozen Orb, and don't forget at least one point in Cold Mastery. Do not focus on FO's synergy Ice Bolt, it's a waste of skillpoints. 2% per level is not worth 20 skill points.

Most monsters in Hell have immunity to at least one damage type. Meaning around 20-25% of all monsters you'll meet will be Cold Immune. You won't survive with Frozen Orb alone. I suggest getting a decent attack skill in some other elemental tree. Fire is my favorite. Basically, you max Fireball, Meteor, Fire Mastery. The leftover points (when you maxed FO and all fire skills) should go to Fire Bolt.

Do not forget to get Teleport in the Lightning Tree - it is one of the most important Sorceress skills. Also, if I were you, I'd put a point in Static, as well. It is a great help against bosses.

Here, some screenies of my skill setup. Notice the Energy Shield. It was stupid of me to get it, I never use it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[EDIT]: I suppose that since you put 5 points in CB, you can go the Lightning/Chain lightning way. Max Lightning, Chain Lightning, Lightning Mastery, rest in Charged Bolt.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  8. pebbles

pebbles IncGamers Member

prof, your screenies helped me out a lot just fyi. thanks for those. that's exactly something that i was looking for