Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New player in town requests advice!

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Lyndis, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

New player in town requests advice!

Hello all, I'm new here :wave: and kind of new to D2 and I am wondering what kind of advice a new and completely untwinked character should follow. I had massive trouble defeating Duriel and could only do it because a barbarian tanked for me (even my merc died quickly) because Duriel would take out 90% of my sorc's health in one charge. All the guides I read around here revolve around using lots of strange and probably expensive items that I will probably never be able to get, so they're not a lot of help. Right now I just got to act 3. Thanks! :thumbsup:

2. obiwansbane

obiwansbane IncGamers Member

hey there, could i please ask what dificulty you are on, what kind of sorc build you are using, and what kind of merc you are using? i would then like to know ure gear because there are some really cheap alternatives that u may want to look into if ure gear is really bad, also if u are in NM or Hell please give ure resists

also this belongs in newcomer forums i think

3. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

My sorc mainly uses fireball (and her bow when she runs out of mana) for damage right now. She'll eventually pump frozen orb I think. I got myself a merc that gives the aura that makes your attack rating go up so my bow can actually hit things. I'm in normal mode, and my resistances aren't anything to write home about. They total to a bit more than 100 after adding all 4 up.

My gear are just some magic ring and gloves, a rare boot with some faster run walk and a bit of resists, my rare bow which actually is starting to do pretty bad damage in act 3, Cathan's mesh armor, Isenhart's helmet, that unique ammulet which gives lots of fire resist. So yeah, I'm pretty darn poor right now.

4. IntelligentX

IntelligentX IncGamers Member

Welcome to this community forum of madness! *hugs*
    If you want some advice for wealth building, try this link.
    Now go kick some monsters and get a soj :laugh:

Of course, teh soj are mine muhahaha

5. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

Thanks, but I'm also looking for some more basic advice on what I can to survive on poor gear while playing thru the game normally, so I can actually get to killing nightmare andariel or mephisto or whatever. Like I said, the bosses are giving me a pretty tough time.

6. IntelligentX

IntelligentX IncGamers Member

According to your posting above:

1. Hire an act2 merc (defensive in nm prefered as they have holy freeze aura) and make an insight runeword for him. [(Insight rune sequence: Ral Tir Tal Sol) (4os polearm) it guarantees meditation aura so your mana regenerate in a very fast speed]

2. Stack up some perfect gems. Not only finding items will get you wealth, but loads of perfect gems can do too. 40 pgems can fetch you a pul, and you can use the pul for better items.

3. Shop some items from nightmare act1. They are potentially not bad when you are totally out of good items.

4. Level up! Level up will guant you stat and skill points so you can kill things faster.

5. Use the synergies! E.g. Fireball gets more damage when you add skill points into firebolt, meteor.

I think that's about it. And you may want to hear some experts for more options.

7. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Focus on +skills, +fast cast, +resist, +life, and +mana for your sorc. Ditch the bow even if it means replacing it with a +10% fast cast wand you buy from a vendor.
    One point in static will help you immensely in normal against bosses. Sorcs have the most trouble against bosses in normal. Ditch your merc, you don't need AR. Get a defensive merc for the extra defense.
    Make a spirit sword as soon as you can (check the arreat summit for recipie).
    Start looking for and collecting fire and lightning resist equipment. You will need it against Diablo.

8. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

What does Spirit do? Is it really that important that I should go back and do countess runs?

Btw, am I underleveled for being at level 20 in act 3? I got to level 20 by just playing normally. Also, why get a holy freeze merc in nightmare if I use frozen orb?

9. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

+2 skills, +fast cast, +mana, all at a level req of 25. 20 is fine for act 3. I wouldn't recommend a holy freeze merc if you're going to use orb, although the cold immunes will be slowed by holy freeze, but not orb.

10. jimmah

jimmah IncGamers Member

Use this site for rune words and everything else (menu is top of the page):

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/

Spirit can be found here:

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/runewords-110.shtml

Spirit
    4 Socket Swords/Shields
    Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn

Weapons
    +2 To All Skills
    +25-35% Faster Cast Rate (varies)
    +55% Faster Hit Recovery
    Adds 1-50 Lightning Damage
    Adds 3-14 Cold Damage 3 Second Duration (Normal)
    +75 Poison Damage Over 5 Seconds
    7% Life Stolen Per Hit
    +250 Defense Vs. Missile
    +22 To Vitality
    +89-112 To Mana (varies)
    +3-8 Magic Absorb (varies)

Shields
    +2 To All Skills
    +25-35% Faster Cast Rate (varies)
    +55% Faster Hit Recovery
    +250 Defense Vs. Missile
    +22 To Vitality