New PC - All old D2 stuff gone - Wanting to return

Gino

Diabloii.Net Member
I've built a new pc earlier this year and lost all old d2 files: Game, GoMule, Etc.

I'm curious if I download all current stuff, am I able to run them properly without any issues? I remember my gomule wasn't opening due to a Java error and never figured it out. I'm wanting to return and don't mind starting from scratch as long as I can get a hold of up-to-date programs that run without issue. Is anyone currently playing SP using GoMule without any issues? Are there any new programs that are better than GoMule or is it still the standard?

Just posting here to ask before I make any final decision. Would be nice to get back into D2 for a little bit.

Friiser

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm on Windows 7, d2 @ 1.14D and running gomule without any issues. What's your build? Do you have disks, or are you planning on downloading the game?

Gino

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm on Windows 7, d2 @ 1.14D and running gomule without any issues. What's your build? Do you have disks, or are you planning on downloading the game?
Yeah PC isn't a problem I just wanted to make sure the links here for gomule and such were still safe and 1.14d was usable for Single player.

Albatross

Diabloii.Net Member
They should be, I'm also playing 1.14d on Windows 10.

Installing the latest version of Java should be all that's required for GoMule to run.

Entwilighter

Diabloii.Net Member
Welcome back to Diablo II, from a fellow returnee. :)

Silospen is still hosting GoMule etc. here: http://www.silospen.com/pd.php?p=d2

One thing to be aware of with 1.14d is that it doesn't allow multiple instances/self MP on one machine.

Edit: oh, I just tried it and it does work? Possibly a Singling mod thing?

Gino

Diabloii.Net Member
They should be, I'm also playing 1.14d on Windows 10.

Installing the latest version of Java should be all that's required for GoMule to run.
Last time I ran GoMule before switching PCs I got an error where I couldn't open anything in gomule, but my files were still there.

Albatross

Diabloii.Net Member
Last time I ran GoMule before switching PCs I got an error where I couldn't open anything in gomule, but my files were still there.
Where the character names and stashes in red? It's possible that you either moved GoMule into another folder or your chars/stashes. You have to readd everything when this happens because GoMule is looking for the files in the wrong location.

Dan.

Diabloii.Net Member
Took me a bit to find save files in gomule they aren't kept in diablo folder

I just recently came back to D2 also. Welcome back! You got off easier than me though, I got my wallet stolen and kicked.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Both usb and dropbox should work.

You need your diablo files if you want your characters and the GoMule files if you want your stashes and so.

Gino

Diabloii.Net Member
Both usb and dropbox should work.

You need your diablo files if you want your characters and the GoMule files if you want your stashes and so.
I got it on usb drive but am not sure how to open it via gomule.

Gino

Diabloii.Net Member
Might have to throw in the towel and just restart from scratch. Sucks, but I can't figure this out.

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
@Gino don't give up, I'll walk you through it:

Copying over Save Files (aka character files):
  1. Locate the character files in your backup (USB). These are going to be in a folder called 'save' under the root Diablo II installation folder and should look something like this (where X = character name):
    • X.d2s
    • X.key
    • X.ma0
    • X.ma1
    • X.ma2
    • X.ma3
    • X.map

2. In the new installation, locate the 'save' file*. It might be easier to open the game and create a new test character. Let's say you created a character called 'TestBarb' and talked to Akara and then saved & exited. You should now see a bunch of 'TestBarb' files in the save location that the new installation is referencing.
  3. Copy over the old character files into this location and then go in-game to see if they appear.
*You may need to edit the registry to force the save file into a location you prefer, but try the above first to see if you can get things working.

Copying over Stash Files (aka GoMule files):
  1. You should just be able to copy the entire GoMule folder onto your C drive and open the 'Executable Jar File' called GoMule.
  2. If that doesn't work, you should search the folder for one of your stashes if you know the name of it. Or do a generic search for any stash files, they have the extension '.d2x'. Once you've located some stashes, you could try copying them over to the same place in a fresh installation of GoMule.
Personally, I structure my folder like this:

¬ GAMES - Diablo II
¬ Diablo II (The actual install)
¬ save
¬ Bunch of other game folders/files​
¬ GoMule
¬ projects
¬ YourProjects​
¬ YourProjectDumps
¬ Bunch of other GoMule folders/files​
¬ Stashes​

There are obviously a bunch of subfolders and files, but I've tried to highlight ones that you might find useful

Gino

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't have a save folder even after I make a test character?

Send you a discord friend request to talk easier