Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

new on LOD

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by redlaw, Mar 12, 2004.

1. redlaw

redlaw IncGamers Member

new on LOD

Hi
    im new on LOD , i playd classic for years but now i wont to build a hc LOD assasin PVM (prefere mf char)

ive seen alot of builds but because im new on LOD i dont get it well
    So who can give me the best assasin PVM LOD skills thats do great with mf gear

2. det

det IncGamers Member

Hi and welcome to hardcore LOD.

In short, the best builds can be found in the assasin forums stickies. Personally i think a Trapper would be pretty safe to play.

Max SM, max LS, max DS (and if you want another damaging skill Max WoI). If you are happy with one devastating skill, max also CBS.

Round this up with the usual points in MB, BoS and Fade. (like 1 pt and +skill items)

3. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

My Sin was untwinked and basically a solo player so I felt the need to have two elemental attacks. She is now 95 and is a good character still with a lot of ghetto gear.

Maxed LS (Light Sentry)
    Maxed DS( Death Sentry) This is synergy and is also a mild version of Corpse Explosion and rocks!
    17 invested in Shadow Master, at 17 they get crule claws, she never dies in solo play.

If you intend to be solo a lot you can pick a fire skill. Now Fire Blast boosts DS and can be used at the same time as having your 5 traps out since it and shock web arent considered a "trap" like LS, DS, WoF are. So you can lay out 5 LS and throw Fire Blasts at the same time.

Now Fire Blast wont get to a hughe damage, but remember the intent for this skill is while soloing, you will have a shadow and a merc out there fighting also, and you only need to get 1-2 corpses so you can throw DS in there and blow up corpses.

Fade....depending on items you may want to add points here, but I suggest not doing it early as 1 point is effective and later you will find skill items to increase it. If you get to a point where its time for Hell and you need more and dont have items then add so you dont die.

MB = Mind Blast.....This skill is what you have ready going down any stairs or thru other people TPs. It knock backs and either stuns or converts monsters for a short time. Intensly valuable with only 1 point invests.

CS= Cloak of Shadows......Another intensly good skill for 1 point invested. It will take time for you to get use to the darkness, but this skill will stop range attackers from shooting (not all always but most) it will even stop melee guys from coming towards you. This skill isnt bad to cast into a room before entering especially if you know there are always guys in there.

Dont spend one point in you Martial Arts!

Now, when it comes to Fire Blast, i suggest waiting on adding much here until late NM. Resists to lightning in mass dont really come into play until Hell. A Lower Resist charge wand can remove resists of many monsters. Get your main skills, LS, DS and Shadow up first.....then decide if you want the fire attack. I RARELY use mine even solo, and if I rebuilt I wouldnt get it at all except prereqs.

The first place that will give you a boat load of trouble is Act 1 Hell wiht many light immunes.

Now wether you choose to get the big fire skill or not, be sure to add all your "spare" points into the synergies for LS and start with Shock web since like fire Blast you can use this skill while traps are out.

With traps you are allowed 5 of any COMBO so 5 LS is max, if you cast another LS or even a DS one of your existing traps will "self destruct" so you only ever have 5 out. but like I said using Fire Blast or Shock Web wont replace any traps so you can throw tons of these while traps are out.

Mercs......well, I went Barb and the main reason I did is he is naturally a better surviver than the Act 2 Might Merc, but both are good choices as well as maybe even Holy Freeze. Just get your Merc some leech, use skulls in some socketed item, even a a 4-6 sock pole with low damage and all skulls is better than a big damage weapon and no leech. Remember he isnt there to necessarily kill he is there to tank, your shadow and you can kill fine!

Some trappers, especially early might invest 1 point in Blade Fury if they have a weapon or some damage. 1 point in this skills is actually very good especially early. If you dont have the AR though it wont hit a lot so you will ahve to decide that. My 95 doesnt have blades.

Items and projected stats with no items to work twoards:

Trap claws are 45/45 50/50/ 55/55 and Bartucs a Unique is 79/79. I suggest buy lvl 30 or so be in that 50/50 range. Later you can add for better items, may need to add strenght for Armor. If you want to go to the 79/79 area go for it, but the items that are easilst to get are those trap claws, and you can shop or gamble those. I suggest picking up every claw you see!

Eventually you will want to go Dual Claw so you can maximize your +skills and also so you can use Weapon Block which is a skil you have. 1 point invested in this could easily get you to 45% block and you need no dex for that. In order to get good block in LoD with a shield you must add dex to keep it up as it isnt like Classic where the shields listed block is your block. Also, Weapon block can block things that even shields cant block.

I went to lvl 80 before I found what I needed to do Dual Claw. Dont ever risk your resists to go dual claw.

Now tactics.......Trappers have many "scouts" so when you are solo you can cast your shadow, or traps into rooms or ahead of you like hydras!

Gave you a lot of crap here..........hope it dont confuse ya

4. redlaw

redlaw IncGamers Member

thx for the advice

5. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

I on the other hand have a slightly different opinion on two trees.
    The thing is, going lightning gives you 3 types of damage by default as DS deals fire and physical damage. The only thing is, you have to be strategic about your use of DS here, for example when running the chaos sanctuary when doing the pack of LI ghost things I wouldn't drop a single DS until after popping the seal so there would always be corpses in the area they'd spawn at making a pack of LIs and an LI superunique dead instantly despite being "single" element. In places where I know there are LIs, I tended to herd them together with monsters of other immunities, then drop the LS and once corpses started to drop let loose the DS.
    Wand of LR breaks immunities and can be shopped in NM A5 (maybe earlier, but I didn't try until then). In NM they only come with level 1 LR, in hell you can get 2, and I've heard 3, although I've never seen a level 3 charge. The killing will be slow as the non-immuned monsters will still have like 95% lightning res, but with your merc and shadow they are doable...just keep the mindblast spamming and at the very least they won't hurt you. I myself solo'd to hell but ended up partying to get through until A5 hell. Once in A5 hell I just ran eldritch a bunch until I got a nice BIG merc weapon then I ran around A1 yelling PWNED at monsters while my merc beat them. I went the holy freeze route, but if I were to rebuild it would have been with a might merc, more damage that way, and no annoying corpses getting shattered.

Mindblast is probably the best crowd control skill in the game, monsters are stunned until one of them converts, at which point they focus on it (another way to get a corpse from an LI pack, but I wouldn't really recommend it as it can take a while) and stand still for you while your merc/shadow/traps go to work on them.
    CoS is also useful, and should be combined with mindblast. When you cast it monsters are blinded, but they will continue attacking/moving towards the last target they saw, so you mindblast them, they get stunned for a second and when they stop being stunned they will be blind with no last target to try and attack.

And a general expansion tip;
    Pick up ALL rare weapons, they can do things like spawn 450% ED, and even if it's a crappy base item like a war sword, you can use the upgrade recipe to make it into a mythical sword. This especially applies to any items your merc can use, I found 3 300%ED+ Ethereal polearms/spears, don't forget that items on your merc don't lose durability, so an ethereal 300% voulge can be upgraded twice to a colossus voulge for your merc with damage at something like 1000, which translates to a holy freeze merc doing 4k damage...

Oh, and since stinger didn't point it out BASE ENERGY =)
    20 mana for a trap seems like a lot for a level 24 with hardly any mana, but the trap stays at 20 mana no matter what level and it stops seeming like a lot when you've 200+ mana just from leveling and in a few places from your gear.

6. redlaw

redlaw IncGamers Member

thx for reply