Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New mp3 player...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TurbulentTurtle, May 13, 2005.

1. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

New mp3 player...

I have the cash now after saving up for a while (no job :lol: ) and I've decided to treat myself to a nice new mp3 player.
    I've decided on this one...

Is it any good? Anyone have experience using it?
    I just don't want to get an iPod merely because I hate the design and because nearly everyone and their grandmothers have it.

I'd just like some feedback about it, because I forgot where, but I remember reading that this mp3 players only support WMA files or something messed up along those lines...

2. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

First off, let me say thats an awesome mp3 player because I, myself, own one. I love everything about it except one small thing. The earphones arent the best, so i got the better ear buds by sony.

another thing: that is VERY VERY expensive on that site. DO NOT buy it there. Go to amazon.com. much cheaper. (around 200 dollars i think).

If you want to check other versions of the creative zen (such as the zen mirco), go to creative.com.

edit: the zen touch supports WMA, mp3, and wav formats

3. Mr.Popo

Mr.Popo Banned

ha ive an better one. It's the same shape and function excpet it's smaller. (made by sony)

mp3 > ipod, ipod = noob

4. TurbulentTurtle

Is the price on Amazon USD? Because that site is in Canadian $...

5. evild2player

evild2player IncGamers Member

That 20GB mp3 is much cheaper compared to the 20GB Sony network walkman.. It's half a thousand in CDN.

6. slappy sam

slappy sam IncGamers Member

It's a solid choice. I have a dell dj and it works flawlessly-I didn't get an ipod for the same reason you aren't getting one and I'm glad I didn't. Ipods really aren't all that great.

7. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Banned....

8. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

That was a brief yet odd tanget for this thread...

Pray tell what isn't so great about them? And what is so great about any particular other mp3 player that makes iPods not "all that great" in comparison?

9. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng IncGamers Member

I think that Ipods are over rated, not that they're inferior to another brand. The one reason I didn't get an Ipod is because it'll probably get stolen in like a week, especially in my school.

10. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

hey, buy the same one I bought so you won't look like everyone else :)

I don't have any MP3 player, but from what I have gathered, they are all very similar, the only big difference is the storage capacity. I think the reason people don't like Ipods, is everyone has them. That's kinda a weird reason, because if everyone else has bought the thing, there has to be something really good about it. doesn't there? hmm.

I thought about it. and my brain hurts.

11. Nword

Nword Banned

My current MP3 player (i've had for a year) isn't exactly spacious, only 384 mb (128 + 256 mem card)... But it has other features that have been quite useful: radio, (crappy) recording, smaller than an Ipod and comes with a well designed belt attachment, it was cheaper (duh)... and it can be used as a mirror too :uhhuh:

I might be lame, but my next MP3 player won't be an Ipod... because everyone else has them... And I don't have that much music... Possible exception is a 1gb Ipod shuffle.

Edit: Suggestive's post below reminds me that I forgot for a moment (i'm tired, that must be it :rolleyes: ) that I like having extra functionality...

12. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

iPod shuffle is the most gimmicky piece of crap ever produced. Yes, I'd like a fragile, low-capacity, mp3 player with no functionality whatsoever. Yes, I want to listen to all my songs on random. Blah. Crap. Crap crap crap. Forget it.

I have a 20gig iPod that I recieved as a bonus at work, and it rules. I care not that many people own them, they get the job done well.

13. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

im quite befuddled by the flame

never have i seen such a thing

14. TurbulentTurtle

Yeah, that guy was nuts man...

Anyways, I think the main reason I'm not getting an iPod is because I really dislike the design for some strange reason, and as I said before, a lot of people have it, and I kinda want to stand out :)
    So the mp3 choice is good then? If so then I'm gonna go and buy it tomorrow :D

15. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

I don't remember where I saw it, but there was this mp3 player that doubled as Data storage, 40 gigs worth. neat.

I own an old jukebox mp3 player. I almost never use it. Will I get a new one? maybe. If I do, it will not be an Ipod. Maybe I just hate being a conformist, but it just does not appeal to me at all.

16. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

I think a lot of mp3 players can be used as portable hard drives. iPods definitely can, and I think I've heard of others that can.

Other people said it first, Raistlin, so I'm not singling you out. I just quoted you since I was already replying to you.
    This is the reason that always makes me roll my eyes. There are plenty of perfectly good reasons to not want an iPod. Nword gave a great one (no plans to collect lots of music, so even a 20GB iPod would be excess). But when someone's first (and often only) reply is "everyone has one," it always comes across as the "cool to hate" response.

17. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

I am also going to get the Zen, though the 5GB one don't need the 20 just too much IMO.

Why I do not like the iPod is the fact you can only play music from iTunes from what I have read. If you download music from another site the article I read says that it has programming or things that stop it.

18. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Not quite. Real Media complained that Apple wasn't supporting Real's DRM and therefore "monopolizing" the industry. Real then wrote code to bypass Apple's measures to prevent the playing. Apple updated their iPod software to block it again. This was the only instance of this happening. I think Microsoft jumped on the whine bandwagon lately, though.

But iPods will play any mp3, AAC, protected AAC (iTunes downloads), or aiff that you put on it. In addition, you can import wav and wma into iTunes to convert them to mp3 (although that's double encoding and likely produces a crappy quality mp3).

19. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

Don't bother getting an mp3, the great oracle Lord Gates of Microsoft, says mobile phones(or cellular, depending on where you are) are going to become the next personal music device, and mp3 players are rubbish.

Then again, perhaps he just wants to put the boot into the iPod...

(Also, having seen the flame, is anyone else interested in what the other post was he chose to make in his brief lifetime here???)

20. TurbulentTurtle

Yeah I checked that right after his post :lol: The guy is obviously crazy, or holds a grudge against this board...