Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New member... opinion question.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by complacentlyspontaneous, Mar 31, 2004.

1. complacentlyspontaneous

complacentlyspontaneous IncGamers Member

New member... opinion question.

Hello all... just recently joined the forums.
    I'm trying to make myself known, not just come in posting replies outta nowhere. It's my understanding that that is bad netiquette.

I play barbarians more than any other class, so I figured I'd ask a question. Pure opinion, just for the sake of my own curiosity.

What do you think is the best weapon mastery, and why? I'm inclined to say swords, since I've been eyeing Bul-Kathos' Charge for a while. On the other hand, I hear that axes are pretty good as well. What do the rest of you think?

2. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

howdy! :howdy:

welcome to the forum! be sure to check out the FAQs stickied on the front page. they're full of interesting and useful info.

the mastery you use depends a lot on the type of character you're playing. axes and maces are good for builds that use 2-handed weapons because they do tons of damage and can be very fast. for a whirlwind barb, polearms used to be the best option, and are still very viable weapons. for leaving your options open though, sword mastery is the best. you can equip any sword and still have a shield, or you can equip any two swords if you are a frenzy barb. sword is good for MFing as well because the Blade of Ali baba is the weapon of choice for getting massive amounts of MF... two of them with 'istist' gives you 280% MF right there.

3. Stack

Stack IncGamers Member

Welcome to the Forums! :wave:

I would have to say that Maces are my most favorite mastery. Just cause there is not really a dex investment. Relying on charms, items and main attack skill to keep my attack rating up. For some reason, I do not like to use a shield and high blocking on my barbs. ​

4. tragor

tragor IncGamers Member

I guess it depends on what you like.

I've played with maces, swords and polearms. Each has its benefits. For a frenzier I usually go with swords or a sword/mace combo. For my current Conc barb I'm looking for max damage and speed.

If you plan to go WW then longer weapons are better for maximum path width. Never played a WW barb myself so I have no direct experience. Don't forget the weapon speed dependence.

In the end, I play with what I like. I like barbs to fight up close so I generally choose swords and maces. Axes are up close but I find them too slow.

Just my opinion of course. :D

EDIT: Oh, yeah, welcome to the party. :thumbsup:

5. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

Hiya :howdy:

As for the swords question what whomhead said :lol: .

And yes posting pointless posts (try saying that real fast over and over again :cheesy: ) is probably not a good idea. Instead try helping people out when they need help, participating in tourneys and MP games or you can be a clown like Durf :innocent: .

PS: You will figure out what that last statement really means if you hang around here for long enough.

6. tenaka

tenaka IncGamers Member

I've always liked maces for three reasons;

1 - no dex
    2 - extra damage to the unleechable undead to get rid of them faster
    3 - asthetics. I find the visual of clubbing evil more pleasing than stabbing or slicing it.

7. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I have hated swords ever since the chippy recipe made them the most cheesy weapon choice ever. So I say go with axes. :D

8. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Welcome to the Forums!

I have to go with maces as well. No dex, and the most important reason of all is the IK Maul. A very nice weapon!

I liked swords until I found this bad boy. Then I built a mace mastery barb who does very nice damage in hell.
    *Edit: Oh, and there are some nice axes out there, too.

9. chase_encode

chase_encode IncGamers Member

Welcome, hope you enjoy your stay. I've always liked polearms, they don't hit as hard as maces, but they have reach and look good.

@durf I think your new avatar scares me more than the old one. :lol:

10. Derrick1001

Derrick1001 IncGamers Member

Don't axes have a hidden effect of doing 50% more damage to demons? Heard that somewhere...

I think it just depends on the chr you're making. I'm leveling up Doom-Bunny (Leap Barb) and I'm using mace mastery for Bonesnap and IK maul. For a whirler I'd go with dual swords, and for a conc. I think I'd go with axes.

11. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

My conc barb just hit level 76 today. I was using a Bonesnap until today. I socketed it in a Larzuk quest and installed a Sheal for IAS. It was a great weapon until I was high enough level to use IK maul.

There are many good mace class weapons. Just as there are many good axes. Many of them require 2 hands, making a shield impossible to use. So you need life leech or high life.

12. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

That's a myth.

Most people who wield one-handed weapons go for axes (berserker axe) because it it faster, has better average damage, and because it requires less stats than the top swords/maces.

Two handers, its hard to say. It all depends on what weapon you have available for your character.

crg

EDIT:
    Let's add build preferences:

WW: Anything range 5 (spears/poles, unless you have full IK Set)
    Zerk: Maces (Steeldriver is teh godly)
    Conc: Axes
    Frenzier: Axes

13. SuperSavage

SuperSavage IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF! :buddies:

For a Barb, I think it goes:

1. Mace
    2. Sword
    3. Axe

My barbarian is a IK/WW barb, and he does pretty good in hell. Also depends on what weapons you have for your barb. Go with your best weapon :)

14. Round 4

Round 4 IncGamers Member

Yeah I would definitely recommend axes for conc build.

15. Mage11

Mage11 IncGamers Member

Greetings, and welcome to our forums. Please remember to read the FAQs and behave in front of our elite uniques.

Having said that, doing an intro thread is a great idea.

As far as barb weapons go, I would say that it is a matter of preference - they all have their advantages and disadvantages, so pick something you like. If you have a great weapon waiting for your barb to use, then give him the corresponding mastery.

Do feel free to drop by at the local forum bar, the EMB, for a quiet drink or two - the first one's on me. :drink:

Enjoy your time here.

16. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Gahh, you're like the fourth person to say that. Doesn't anyone study the classics any more? Don't tell me I'm the only one who remembers things like TOUCH MY MONKEY! LOVE HIM! . . .

17. ULTIMATER

ULTIMATER IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums! :howdy:

18. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

:wave:

Welcome to SPF!

As for barb weapon, I would use sword or axe when one handed and polearms/spear when you want to use two-handed weapons. Of course some huge mauls are very good too. atm I have a lvl 85 spearbarb in the beginning of hell act 2 (yep, I leveled in Pit for some time) and he is doing fine

:buddies:

19. Artea

Artea IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF Community,

This is a great place, and I'm sure you should enjoy your stay here as much as I do :)

For the Barbarian, I like the Axe because they have excellent damage for 1-Handed and much lower requirements than swords. The only drawback of theses are the low durability which might become a problem with frenzier for example.

For 2-Handed Barbarians, I love the look of the Maul Class weapon. And we all know how good the IK Maul is :)

Artea.

20. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

BoTD eth 1.07 berserk axe, that's the top reason for axe (if you have the weapon).

As for the coolest, and still have top speed, damage, go Sword!!!!

My barb named Conan, so you know why I love swords. :thumbsup: