Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New ladder sorcs, guide to make your first new ladder sorc <

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Howling Wolf, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf IncGamers Member

New ladder sorcs, guide to make your first new ladder sorc

hi guys, i think its my first post here at the sorc forum, i've been playing sorcs since i start d2 like 5 years ago, i just came back from a one year of vacation from diablo and i lost all my chars(3 sorc and a necro, all complete), and them bumm, ladder reset^^
    i wont put skill distribuition because we all know how to build one, this is a guide to show the pros and cons for new sorcs on new ladder.
    i'll show some kinds of sorc you should make as your first char.

single tree sorc

cold - blizzarder --- orber

there are two cold sorcs:

blizzarder - the first choise of 80% of the players to mf, the only con is that she is single element but you can do andy, meph, keys(niha is tough but i doable), tunnels, and almos all places, with a merc and some ow u can do baal too.

orber - not the best for first char, why?
    low damage since u wont have many +skill, its better if u go orb as main skill and another skill for imunes

fire - fireballer --- enchantress

fireballer - i dont know why people dont like to make them as their first char, i'll start this ladder with one , think about, andy with 4 fireball is dead, meph u can do moat trick with meteorb, niha is a kid near meteor and fireball, summoner i wont even speak about, countess(yes this one is fire imune, kill everything near her, static and let merc kill and u can help with teleki)

enchantress - not the best, but can really help melee chars, its very equipment dependant sao u might considerer other char, but 100 style to anyone how's going to make her as first char!!

light - light sorc --- nova

light sorc - there are 3 tipes of light sorc, but they're all buid the same way, tehy are viable, but low damage will hurt, and u wont have infinity for some time.

nova - same as above, but it will be worst, u have to be near and with untwink gear u will die

dua tree sorc

fire/cold - meteorber --- blizzballer --- hydra/orb --- orb/firewall

meteorb - the champion of starters, not much to say, she can go on all bosses(didi is harder but she can go) she can kill all(unless they're c/f imunes), but she is very boring to play(my opnion), and i prefer a diferent skill plain here - only one 20 orb - some on cm - 20 firebolt- 20fireball - and them u put points as u like on meteor and mastery.

blizzballer - i like here but, low firebaal AND low blizzard is kind of bad for start(with a good gear she can do great), but she is really fun to play.

hydra/orb - never made one, but hydra is sooo cool, u orb eveything and release the hydras, 1000000 stile points here

orb/firewall - she is great too 2 spell tha only need mastery to work is great, but u must know how to use the wall, if u already know go with this one(i dont know how to use very well T.T)

cold/ light tree - fo/cl

fo/cl - very good for starter but u will need +skill gear for the cl to work, nothing much to say.

fire/ light -???

never saw one before, lighs skill needs of synerg and fire skills too, so nothing good for first char

i wont cover the archmage because u need dreams and dont hope to see so many runes right now

after much considerations i will start a fireballer for new ladder, if anyone wnat to chat in game with me whisp me on *howling3000
    that's it , opnions are welcome, and if u know other type of sorc please say here

sorry about my english, its not my first language

good luck on new ladder!!

^^
    bye

2. Howling Wolf

Re: New ladder sorcs, guide to make your first new ladder sorc

no opnions guys?

3. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

I started last ladder with nova, so first 41 points (20 nova,1static,20Lmaster) went there. I was very fast, but mana hungry. And after nova you can start building backup attack. I found 3xshakos, soj, um etc.. other goodies with her at first week. So at least she could do mf properly. But mana hungry, drinked more than 1000 bottles in norm and plenty more in nmare. 4 row belt is a must.

This is likely first char for me in this ladder. 50 points in fire tree gives hell viable ball even in full games, so plenty of point to put in blizz too.
    And I need backup attack anyway, to solo nmare diablo and baal as soon as possible. Hell act1-act3 is best target for this char.

This works nicely with full Tal set and one of the best chars if doing solo mf runs in hell. Around 60...65 points in Lightning tree, rest in fire.
    Not so bad starting char either, as you can use cold merc with this char to freeze everything. Fun and aggressive build, as no timered spells.

4. Howling Wolf

i still wouldnt use she(my opnion), u have to get too close for first week, and she still would need some equips(no 4ptoz helm)

i this u have to chose whats your main atack, if u go fireball route u going to have a medium fb and week blizz unless u get really high lvl(if u going to lvl 99 race is ok), for this i would prefer blizz as main and fire as second, a medium blizz > mediu fb, wealk fb> weak blizz

what would be the light/fire build?

20 nova/20 light mastery/20 f wall/20 mastery/ rest others skills(tele, static, shield...)

more opnion guys, 4 days till ladder

^^

5. USEast Tristan

USEast Tristan IncGamers Member

Lite is not an ideal start-of-ladder path to take, unless you plan to operate as part of a clan.

meteor crashes baal's throne room. it's better to max out the fireball first.

I made one of these a long time ago. The logistics of hydras (not their damage) make them relatively slow at killing, but easy to use as well.

6. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

Woah, thanks for this guide!

I wouldn't have been able to start this season without this expansive and well written guide.

7. Howling Wolf

" Lite is not an ideal start-of-ladder path to take, unless you plan to operate as part of a clan. "

yes, without infinity and some +skill their damage is low

" meteor crashes baal's throne room. it's better to max out the fireball first. "

meteor crashers? can u explain to me this
    and yes fireball all the way, i dont like meteor but is better 20 piornt in meteor and less on mastery for a fire sorc

" I made one of these a long time ago. The logistics of hydras (not their damage) make them relatively slow at killing, but easy to use as well. "

this is a build i woud like to try later, can u say u skill and equip?

"Woah, thanks for this guide!

I wouldn't have been able to start this season without this expansive and well written guide. "

np

8. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

No lvl99 char for me, I get usually bored at near lvl90, when char get too powerfull and build another. Aiming just for 3k blizz and around 4.5k fireball. Both are quite weak. If using this ladder items, same build goes around 5k blizz and 8k fireball, but thats not possible anytime soon.

For leveling, I go areas where are only L and P immunes, so can use both attacks. So even 2k blizz and 3k ball is viable at start of ladder.

9. prion

prion IncGamers Member

as meteor gets higher level the burn time gets to be longer. As more and more of these stack up the lag gets worse and you can crash the game.

A couple of meteors here or there is not bad but some people spam them.

10. USEast Tristan

USEast Tristan IncGamers Member

hydra/orb--
    max ball
    max hydra
    max orb
    max fm
    rest bolt
    1 static, tele, shiver, cm

gear--
    whatever you can find

11. Paercival

Paercival IncGamers Member

I'm thinking a blizz baller for my first ladder char.

20 fireball
    20 bliz
    20 meteor
    20 ice blast
    warmth, tele, static, tele, 1 point in each pre requisite and 1 in fire/cold mastery, gets me to 91 points I think. its a 1k fireball, 1k blizzard plus mastery. Not the highest damage, but can start filling in extra damage for fireball after level 80 with firebolt and get the damage up pretty high by the mid 80's. But she should be able to handle hell difficulty with minimal equipment and without relying on her merc too much.

12. Ankeli

Ankeli IncGamers Member

I will crush your claim.

13. Hello Jim

Hello Jim IncGamers Member

IMO first ladder sorc char would be-
    Blizzer.

Why? Simple. You run meph within seconds, you need NO gear since you're using moat trick and your Blizzard is strong enough with no +skills. The more profitable reason for this is that you can Quest Drop Mephisto and Andy thus getting much better chances for a good drop (giving they won't fix it). Only problem with this build is that running only Meph can get you temp ban. For this reason you can add:

Pindlskin- in Anya's red portal in A5. very quick and have chances to drop almost every item in the game. Might turn immunes, but if so you just TP/tele to the red portal.
    Andariel- finding her is annoying and she won't go down as fast as with a fire sorc. but down she will go, and fast indeed. Most of her minions aren't cold immuned too.
    Countess- let your merc do the killing. With the lowest gear he can still pull it off.

The second choice would be Meteorb to get past the immunitis problem. Only problem is that Meph would be slower and you need more +skills to make it hell viable. For a fresh ladder, NO good stuff char (shako will probably be worth a lot in the start of the ladder for example) thing can get a bit weak.

14. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

If only mfing on meph, do I need 2 elements? I was thinking pure meteor sorc. I've never mfed before. Do you usually kill enemies that come before meph or not?

15. Samohtnnam

Samohtnnam IncGamers Member

How about a FO/CB sorc for the ladder start?

20 CB
    15 Lightning
    20 LM
    20 Orb
    10-15 CM
    1 Tele, Warmth, Shiver, Static, and other prereqs

Yes, light damage will be low w/out +skill, but it will provide back up to FO. After a few weeks +skill gear should be available and then this build will take off, and even finding rares should help +skills department. I'm thinking full Tal sorc for mfing. Gear switch to NW/Fathom/Ormus for PvP once mfin is boring.

16. Howling Wolf

Ankeli: ^^ i' had read this guide and forgot about it, orber can be good at start!!!

Hello Jim : blizzer is one of the best, meteorb too, any sorc in cold or fire tree is good at start is more an "what u prefer question", i'll start with f pure fire this ladder

lumpor: pure meteor can do the job, but u cats meteor and fire firaball, doing moat trick aways

Samohtnnam: i never tried this one, maybe, but as u said withou +skill cb will be very weak and wont help anything

17. Hello Jim

Hello Jim IncGamers Member

No. Mephisto is not immuned so 1 elemental should do the job, perefbly a big dmg skill (meteorb/blizz). Killing other enemies beside Meph is useless. Normal monsters in the Durance 2 are a waste of time since they have very low chances of droping anything good and will most likely kill you (doll are a pain). Only option here is the Coucil in A3 but they have low chances of dropping anything good compared to Mephisto and can spawn very annoying (convictioin, cold+fire immuned etc).
    So the answer is:
    1 elemental is good, even better if doing only Meph.
    Don't kill monster on the way. WASTE OF TIME

Samohtnnam- You might have a problem since FO is usually the backup skill being usually too weak for hell.

Howling Wolf- I understand, I just strech out how Blizzard, IMO, is excellent, being able to stack MF gear, kill Mephisto fast and do the Drop Quest in Mephisto. Something Meteorb, for example, doesn't have since it needs more +1 (usually wears full Tal's) and usually kills Meph to reach the higher acts thus canceling the Drop Quest.

18. TurboJyri

TurboJyri IncGamers Member

How to cancel drop quest? :O

19. Marcoliboar

Marcoliboar IncGamers Member

im gona make a full fire ball sorc for the ladder reset :thumbup:

20. HuaHua

HuaHua IncGamers Member

I'm torn between making a blizz or a fireball sorc. Which's better to do runs in this manner andy>pits>meph>pindle?