Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New Ladder Melee Build

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by hexus, Sep 15, 2010.

1. hexus

hexus Diabloii.Net Member

New Ladder Melee Build

Hey everyone, so with the news of the ladder reset I was thinking I'll finally start playing ladder again, I was waiting for prices to die down so I could build a sorc as they were pretty expensive in the beginning, but that never ended up happening and I just ended up playing NL with the existing characters that I had.

Ever since I read the news about the ladder reset I quickly started thinking what would be the best build to start out with. I tried a Cold Sorc at the beginning of this ladder, but immunities and weak gear really had me fed up. Including the fact that even with a level 15 insight merc I still was using mana pots. So I figured a melee build might be a little better and I've narrowed it down to two melee builds, Fury Druid or Smiter Paladin. I mostly run Chaos/Trav/Pits so teleport isn't very important as I can run all of those without teleport so I don't have to worry about mana/enigma/insight. So I've kind of narrowed it down to some key things and I want to hear some opinions of what you guys might think is best.

Fury Druid:
    -Lots of life
    -Can do hell with cheap gear
    -Summons can tank

Smiter Paladin:
    -Can have Max Block + decent life with holy shield
    -Can do Uber Trist/Dclone without a problem with the proper gear
    -Option to restat to Hammerdin with better gear
    -Can make a lite sorc (which I really want to make) after for key finding to do Uber Trist (this goes double if a Fury Druid can do Ubers lol)

I have two main concerns, can Fury Druid (with the proper gear of course) do Uber Tristram and Can I a Smiter handle Normal/NM/Hell with decent gear? Depending on those concerns it'll sway me one way or the other.

Lets hear some opinions and thanks! :)

2. Marahumm

Marahumm Diabloii.Net Member

Re: New Ladder Melee Build

I think untwinked you'll have better luck with a fury druid.

3. hexus

Thats what I'm thinking, but I'd really love the option to just be able to equip some gear and be able to run Ubers once I build a key runner..

4. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

There's a guide to the 1-point Smiter in the Paladin forum. Smite is terrible for general pvm, so, no a smiter cannot handle norm/nm/hell (it can in as much as any character with any or no skills can). Just make a fanatic zealot and gear him as a smiter when you want to run uber trist.

edit: besides, Grief is just about the best weapon for zealots and smiters. (Some will say LW or BotD is better for one or the other, though.)

5. hexus

I didn't think of a Zealot wow, okay I have to look into one of those, I was actually just about to start building an Uber Smiter on NL, I'll take a look at the guides right now, great suggestion!

6. droid

droid Diabloii.Net Member

I'd go with a Paladin just because, while Fury might be faster in the very beginning, the upside is very low on druids...you're just going to make another Paladin later for Ubering anyway, so any time spent on a druid now is going to be ultimately wasted when he just becomes a L75 mule for you.

Put a little more time and effort into your melee char at the start, and you'll get one that you'll continue to use all ladder long.

7. minuses

minuses Diabloii.Net Member

WW barb with enigma and dual zerks. Look for rare quality ba's or lower that elite since you can upgrade naga to ba and war axe has to be double upped. Get 40 ias on both rare zerks. Its a good start till I get better zerk combo. Enigma when I get wealthy for the str, tele, and 45 frw yeah I want a vita barb. Build up until I have all geared up because I can respec anyways. I want to make a rusher and baaler.

If ladder does end thats what im going to do wish me luck on my build.

8. CosmoNova

CosmoNova Diabloii.Net Member

WW with zerk..? what's the ias one it? can you hit the breakpoint? and how about AR? how much do you have?
    I got a WW barb using grief zerk, heavily suffering on the AR problem...

I dont feel those ITD and minus defense on Grief are actually working...

9. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

Those are very rare. If you try to trade for them, they'd probably cost more than Griefs. (If you mean BAs with 40 ias and good damage.)

ITD only works well if you have a high level character. Iirc, you need 34 ias or more on both to hit the fastest ww bp.

10. redground

redground Diabloii.Net Member

Go for a pally.

Everytime i start playing i make a sorc and a pally.

11. Redgar

Redgar Diabloii.Net Member

I say pally would be the most useful and the easier build (if you go zealot) but if you want to have fun just go with which one sounds more fun to you.

12. mouseman

mouseman Diabloii.Net Member

Because players like these, items for sorceresses and paladins are very expensive. I would go with druid because you can gear it with minimal cost compeletely before you can even get a torch to your paladin.

Also, I've heard that a fully equipped fury druid can clear UT. I don't know if that would require things like 3 socket eth zodded tomb reaver, though.

But I would definitely look into fury druid builds. They can do well with buriza/ribcracker as their main weapon (both are quite cheap). So I'd guess you will be able to enjoy your first days more and gain wealth faster that way. Also you probably won't feel like one in a million doing the same thing.

13. minuses

Then self find them. I prefer edc/beastz when building an enigma vita barb. Just to get 20 life/damage mod scs to buff up the barb. I want to hit like 8k life and never die.

14. alphaz

alphaz Diabloii.Net Member

key word: new ladder :whistling:

IMO choose either fury druid or frost/shock zealot. shock zealot is a walk in the park throughout norm and nm untwinked, just with holy thunder scepter and ancient's pledge/rhyme. frost zealot is safer if you play hc. when you're in hell and have found better weapons (eg lightsabre) you could respec to fanatic zealot.

fury druid is cheaper (with ribcracker everything is a breeze) but prone to have trouble with physical immunes.

15. jhtvman

jhtvman Diabloii.Net Member

You can get some of the upper-end gear on a Fury druid much cheaper than you can for a pally, but with both builds you'll struggle against physical immunes. Both Vengeance and Fire Claws/Rabies don't work very well as one point wonders. You could carry a weapon with amp damage charges on your switch (if such a thing exists, I'm not actually sure) but I'm not sure if you can cast that spell in wereform, which would obviously be a pain. So ultimately, I'd say skip both and make yourself a nice frenzy barbarian. It's a lot more fun than Fury/Zeal, and Berserk as a one point wonder packs a nice punch, making physical immunes a breeze to deal with. Frenzy barbs are also easily capable of handling UT.

16. EpicDevia

EpicDevia Diabloii.Net Member

fury wolf is definitely way much more cheaper build. if properly made he will handle any ut without problems. and no need for high end rws.
    to handle physical imunnes it is sufficient to let the merc to carry reapers toll polearm :jig:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [EuScL] looking for a party for a fast rush non stop 24h on the new ladder!

17. CosmoNova

CosmoNova Diabloii.Net Member

I'm interested in the shock zealot built for new ladder. It sounds cheap and fun, but is it viable in (nm/hell)mf and Hell?

18. minuses

True ribby is way cheaper and true that zealer and fury druid would be much cheaper. But im sick of pallys. Over 90% of d2's community is filled with pallys and sorcs and plus they are boring characters too.

What I was saying is looking for any rare axes that can be upped to ba. you should find a 40 ias war axe or naga and you can up it to ba. But the war axe will have to be double upped. The 40 ias on a war axe or naga should not be hard to get if you keep searching.

19. DjSlayer

DjSlayer Diabloii.Net Member

If youre playing untwinked there's nothing thats cheap or expensive, just hard or easy.
    REMEMBER YOU HAVE TO FIND THE GEAR YOURSELF.
    Because untwinked involves no trading, you'll have to decide by yourself what youre going to keep and what to toss away (or mule out for use on other characters). and imo, melee untwinked would be hard, very hard and very tedious.

- D.J.

20. alphaz

alphaz Diabloii.Net Member

It is cheap and fun IMO, I played an untwinked shock zealot in single player and as far as I can remember normal and nightmare were easy even at "/players 8" setting. I beat nm at lvl68 with these end gears:

helm: lore
    armor: rare 2os armor 2x pdiamond
    shield: rhyme akaran targe
    rings: manald + ravenfrost
    amulet: can't remember
    weapon: holy thunder war scepter
    boots: sanders
    gloves: bloodfists
    belt: can't remember
    on swap: ancient's pledge shield + rare scepter with +1 redemption
    charms were mainly ar charms.
    had a defiance merc with random crap gear but in retrospect a blessed aim merc would be better.

In terms of skills, I maxed holy shock, resist lightning and salvation in that order, enough in zeal to skill level 5, a few points in holy shield to increase its duration, 1 point in prerequisites.

I didn't play the char in Hell as I lost interest in SP when I got Internet back, but I imagine the light immunes would make hell much harder. The only problem I had with this char was it had almost no leech due to low physical damage, that's why I think in Hell it's better to respec it to fanatic zealot.

I didn't follow any guide, but this one might help you:
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386143

@minuses true that, but alas sorcs with teleport is the best char to mf bosses early ladder when no one has enigma yet, while paladins can uber with crap items.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010