Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New Ladder brings me back in- have questions

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Dr J, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Dr J

Dr J IncGamers Member

New Ladder brings me back in- have questions

Hello, I had given up on this game about a year ago, but through the grapevine I hear that there is a new ladder. I am bored this summer, when not at work, so I am trying to get back into this game. I left after the 1.11 stuff but has there been any new patches or changes to the game/gameplay/character builds that I should know about? I actually havent even gotten around to re-installing the game yet, ha.:whistling:

Also, I will prefer to mostly just have fun at the beginning of the ladder, but I do want to find some good stuff as well. I am thinking about making a character that will run the The Pit primarily. What character would you guys suggest to build, considering that I will have crap equipment? I am not concerned with excessive speed, just a fun build that has a fighting chance. I guess if the build would be useful in leveling with other people it wouldn't hurt either :thumbup:

Thanks

2. mixritpitlik

mixritpitlik IncGamers Member

Re: New Ladder brings me back in- have questions

Not much has changed since 1.11.

Builds that work well in pits are Fishymancer, found in the necromancer build section. LF zon is also a good potion. Lightning orb sorc worked for me this ladder. And ofcourse the cheesy but effective Hammerdin...

3. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

I wouldn't recommend a Hammerdin actually, but meh whatever. Go with a build that's actually fun to play. Fishymancers are solid for untwinked play, but if you want to MF early on in the season, go with a Meteorb or something similar.

4. Dr J

Dr J IncGamers Member

Thanks for the suggestions mixritpitlik and TurbulentTurtle. I definately will not do a hammerdin, I tried that once in the past and it was as fun as watching grass grow and I cant do a sorc because just being one, especially early in the ladder, makes me feel like a lemming.

Anyway, I like the amazon idea, but not sure on the summoner necromancer, I dont know if that would be fun if I am not the one hacking away. What about a cold aura paladin (slows everything down, forgot the name) , an avenger? (is that with the lower resistances aura?) or a poison necromancer - would those work okay? Ive never tried them but reading some posts here, it sounds like they may be fun.

5. mixritpitlik

mixritpitlik IncGamers Member

They are extremely fun, but i found that some item fund before making those makes it a lot easier.

No one is stopping you to try one though. Most important thing is having fun while playing. I you don't have fun no amount of items you find will make you have fun :)

And i didn't recommend the hammerdin, only implied that it works. Though extremely boring..

6. Dr J

Dr J IncGamers Member

Yea, I think I put fun ahead of anything else. I mean, this is just a game, isnt it? ..... :wink:

Well now I will just decide between poison necro, a cold black man or the avenger.

Anyone have a really fun, functional build in the leagues of these that I might not have considered? What about a barbarian, seems like there would be something fun there, always wanted to do a berzerker before.

7. Urkbrug

Urkbrug IncGamers Member

I would suggest Tiger Strike/Blades of Ice Assassin. Very efficient and fun to play.

8. Silverblade

Silverblade IncGamers Member

I think you meant Frost-Zealot (combination of Zeal and Holy Freeze aura). Very fun to play with.

9. Dr J

Dr J IncGamers Member

Yea, my favorite builds are MA Assassins. I just remember them being pretty weak until a few solid items are found. I will definately make one though, but probably 2nd or 3rd character.

Silverblade - Yep, that is the one. I think that is my first choice right now. I think it would be fun to make everything go really slow, I suppose other people might find that helpful. What is the limit of the "slow target by x%"? Is it 75% or 50%?

10. Nightwright

Nightwright IncGamers Member

This was my first character after last reset and I can recommend it - it was a really great fun :thumbup:

11. Dr J

Dr J IncGamers Member

Any tips you could give me that made yours successful? Did you go with the more physical damage or more just cold damage?