Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New Indiana Jones

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Carino, May 22, 2008.

1. Carino

Carino IncGamers Member

New Indiana Jones

So I got to see an early screening of Indiana Jones today (thanks RIM!) and I have to say it was...ok. I had pretty high hopes going into it but I don't feel it delivered as well as it could have. It did have the classic Indiana Jones feel to it and had lots of excitement and adventure but I just felt the story was a little odd. It seemed like something was missing but I can't put my finger on it. Anyways I would recommend watching it. I give it 3/5 Crystal Skulls.

2. SQUATMAN

SQUATMAN IncGamers Member

Re: New Indiana Jones

Lots of critics are giving it a thumbs up.

3. P2blr

P2blr IncGamers Member

I gave up my ticket because I really have no attachment to the franchise; nice to know, though, that there's not only someone who lives 'round here but I apparently work with

4. Calcipher

Calcipher IncGamers Member

I'm seeing it this weekend. No ratings, good or bad, will stop me from seeing Harrison Ford play Indy.

5. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

I will be going to see it next week expecting something between Temple of Doom and Last Crusade, hopefully closer to the latter. I know that it will not be as good as Raiders.

The funny thing is, I don't feel right with the idea of Indy going up against the Soviets. In almost every other adventure, including Young Indiana Jones, he's up against the Germans, in one way or another, with very European allies. It just doesn't feel right with Soviets and given the setting I don't see any other than American allies (seemingly set during the 50s so right in the middle of the Communist frenzy in America) so it's quite a departure from the usual Indy fare. Maybe that is what you can't put your finger on?

6. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

Like Star Wars (4,5,6), I think I was too young when I saw the Indiana Jones movies to properly appreciate them.

7. Darkie

Darkie IncGamers Member

I just hope they don't ruin with CGI and special effects.

8. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

Nazis are played out. I think more movies need to have Soviets blowing up.

9. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Same here. What makes Indiana Jones great is that it is gritty and spontaneous. CGI rarely looks spontaneous, and often looks too smooth (think Spiderman CGI scenes and Yoda lightsaber scenes) to be in the Indiana Jones world.

10. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Both of those examples are pure animation though, Gollum was actually acted out by a person and just covered in a cgi skin, same with the pirates from Pirates of the Caribbean. I think CGI could fit in(such as planes or massive amounts of troops), but it isn't needed in an Indy film.

In general I'd like to see CGI make a more in depth fantasy world in movies. Use it to sculpt actors into the ideals the movie really calls for. In 300 those guys did massive amounts of working out and wore lots of make up and used camera filters to really make their muscles pop out, I think CGI needs to work on doing that sort of touching up rather than full replacements for most areas, like the anti-aging stuff they did in X3.

Again, I don't think Indiana Jones calls for such enhancement, but just in general.

11. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Agreed. I should have been more specific. I meant only the types of CGI that showed up in Spider Man and in the new Star Wars movies.

From the Wikipedia article on the movie:
    That pleases me greatly. And I'm pleased that Carino's review says" "It did have the classic Indiana Jones feel to it and had lots of excitement and adventure," because that's all I'm looking for.

12. Gaenor

Gaenor Banned

It can be good, it can also be really bad. I think i ghonna see it at the cinema. Hope it's worth it.

13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

CGI sucks, and the more realistic it gets the faker it looks somehow.

He wasn't up against Nazis in Temple of Doom, although you're probably doing the right thing by blocking that from your memory.

Russians are ****house badguys.

And it's kind of hard to be menacing when you're history's biggest losers.

14. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Temple of Doom felt like a Young Indiana Jones movie. If you'd never seen any of them it stands out like tits on a bull because it simply wasn't like the other two films. I do try and blot it from memory but some scenes just refuse to go away...

As for Nazis vs. Soviets... this isn't about all of cinema. If this wasn't an Indiana Jones film you would have a point that the Nazis have been done to death, but it is Indy and, like snakes, Indy hates Nazis.

15. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

From what I've heard, there is some CGI in the movie, but they really tried to go with some of the plain old fashioned "old school" types of special effects for the movie. As such, it shouldn't have an overly CGI feel from what I've been told.

Personally I love CGI. As the technology has improved, it just gets better and better. I think CGI is one of the best advances in the movie industry to date. But I digress...

As to the movie - what I've heard thus far is that it's better than Temple of Doom (but then, it doesn't take much to get better than that one) - but that the movie overall falls a little flat from the hype made about it.

Regardless, I plan on seeing it either this weekend or next. Critics be damned.

16. Carino

Carino IncGamers Member

There is some CGI but I won't go into details, don't want to ruin it! They do stick to tradition with a lot of real stunts which was nice. Ford doesn't seem to be involved in as much action (you know, because he's old) but he does throw the classic Indy punches.

17. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

They were played out in Indiana Jones too. Besides, Soviets can pinch hit for Nazis pretty well.

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Nobody likes stand-ins.

Indiana Jones is a compendium of cinematic tropes, if you're going to complain about things that are played out then it's probably not the movie for you.

19. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

I enjoyed it.. saw it last night.

20. Jaquiezz

Jaquiezz IncGamers Member

The Labuff kid, like in every other role he has played since Even Stevens, messes it up. The ending is wayyyyyy too far out to be Indy Jones. There are lots of other little nit-picky things through out the movie, but I think you have to really love the original Indys to like this one. Thumbs down here.

Instead of spending your money this weekend on an overhyped Indy Jones, drop it on Iron Man, which does not disappoint.