Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New idea for a Werebear of mine...

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Euro-Crash, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Euro-Crash

Euro-Crash IncGamers Member

New idea for a Werebear of mine...

This is the direction I was headed in. It is a bear that uses a STANDARD attack, 100% CB, loads of life and loads of defense. I think the only issue would be AR...so finding a way to resolve LOW AR on this build would be a must.

Guillame's Face (BER)
    Highlord's Wrath
    Phoenix Sacred Targe (highest base chance to block)
    Fortitude Archon Plate
    Ranvefrost (20 dext)
    Ravenfrost (20 dext)
    P. Dracul's Grasp
    P. Last Wish PB (70% crushing blow)
    P. CTA Flail (switch)
    Spirit Sacred Targe (switch)
    Beast (weapon of your choice)
    P. Dungo's
    Gorerider

This gives you a 4fpa attack in BEAR form, a nice amount of Deadly Strike, 100% crushing blow, 18% damage reduction (YIKES!), 35% open wounds. Now...here is what I would do...

Invest only enough strength to equip your gear. This includes your Annihilus as well. If you use lighter BASE items for your rune words...IE, Sacred Targe, Archon Plate, then your heaviset item becomes the Guillame's Face (115). With a base of 25, and your anni you will have 35-45 Strength with NOTHING invested. Let's run numbers with a 15 attribute Anni.

At Clvl 90, you have 460 points to invest. Dracul's Grasp can be equipped with an investment of 10 points. A perfect pair (what we are after) adds 15 to strength. This puts you at 65 strength with 10 HARD POINTS used. In order to equip your Guillame's Face you will need to invest an additional 50 HARD POINTS. This leaves you with 400 unused points.

Moving onto dexterity - at Clvl 90, you will need the dexterity listed below to achieve max block with the corresponding level of Holy Shield:

slvl 20 Holy Shield = 158 Dexterity needed
    slvl 25 Holy Shield = 150 Dexterity needed
    slvl 30 Holy Shield = 144 Dexterity needed

With two Ravenfrosts (each having 20 dexterity each) and your Anni, you will be at a base of 75 dexterity. I will use slvl 25 Holy Shield...if you have more P.Combats than 5, then of course re-calculate before investing. At slvl 25, 75 HARD POINTS would need to be dumped into dexterity to acheive max block at clvl 90. This leaves 325 points.

Guess what? We are onto everyone's favorite statistic. That's right folks, if you have a P.Dungo's and the Anni we mentioned above, you will have a BASE of 80 Vitality. This is of course what I like to call a healthy start. Now we get to the real fun. Let's just figure out how much life we an squeeze out of your build.

Your paladin starts with 55 HP and has a base of 25 VITA. Each lvl he gains 2 HP and with each point invested into Vitality he gains 3 life. Counting the investment we will be making it will look something like this:

89 * 2 = 178
    +
    3 * 380 = 1140
    +
    125 (moderate fort)
    -------------------
    (1443 * .05) + 1443 = 1515

Now with the gear mentioned above you switch weapons and cast Battle COmmand, then Battle Orders at slvl 11. This will bump your HP to...

(1515 *.65) + 1515 = 2499

Taking the CTA off, it is now time to crank it up another NOTCH. Put the BEAST weapon on. Why? You are not a Zealot...you think you are, but you aren't...you just don't know it yet. Your PB requires VERY LITTLE IAS with maxed fana to achieve a 4 fpa regular attack.

This is actually a tiny bit faster than a standard ZEAL because every one of your attacks is at 4 fps. IN ZEAL your first attack is slower than the others, despite being at 4 fpa. Switching to your BEAST (weapon of choice), you will now cast Werebear at slvl 8 (with lvl 8 lycanthropy). This causes your HP to go from 3555 to:

(2499 * 1.05) + 2499 = 5122

Now for a rundown of your skills:

-20 Fanaticism (1 pre-req...beyond BA) = 21 points
    -20 Blessed Aim (1 pre-req) = 21 points
    -20 Holy Shield (4 pre-req's) = 24 points
    -20 Defiance = 20 points

This totals 86 points leaving a total of 15 unused skill points at clvl 90. Now for some added fun. Let's just go ahead and calculate your defense. You will be at:

1500 (fort)
    217 (guillames)
    130 (dracs)
    125 (dungo)
    140 (gore)
    150 (phoenix)
    --------------
    (2262 * 7.75) + 2262 = 19792

[Defense modifiers include Holy SHield at slvl 25, passive synergy from Defiance, 60% defense boost from Werebear at slvl 8.]

WOW! That seems like quite a bit. Now a quick look at something else you may have overlooked. You have a tremendous pool of HP. Your defense is very good. It could go higher, but you need AR. I would recommend putting those 15 points that remain into Blessed Aim for the passive synergy. Though you have low DR, your weapon has an important mod on it I think you may have not looked at.

Last Wish has a 6% chance to cast lvl 11 fade if struck. This means that if an attack makes it though your defense, you have a 75% chance to block it and if you do not, the chance to cast may be triggered. If it is not you take damage...but you are quite healthy so the 18% DR is not a HUGE problem. IN the event that FADE is cast, it will last for 240 seconds and increase your damage reduction by 11%. Moving from 18% to 29% DR on this BEAR is going to be grotesque...

I am thinking of building this bad boy...anyone want to join me in making one of these? I think the build could be pretty BEASTLY. Issues include:

-resists
    -AR
    -PI

Let me know what you think, I think aside from these issues this is THE new tank.

2. shade449

shade449 IncGamers Member

Do you need the highlord's to reach 4 fpa? If not, angelic ammy + 1 or 2 rings will solve all your ar problems. Even if you can't use the angelic set you should have a demon limb in the stash for the enchant charges. That would help. Good luck with your char it sounds very interesting.

3. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

Quite expensive though. Its out of my range.

4. Tycho Spradling

Tycho Spradling IncGamers Member

I just made the cta to boost my bear dreamadin and only got 3,3,4. It's probably a great add on for pvp, but I find it very cumbersome to be swaping weapons from my stash for pvm.

5. Euro-Crash

Highlords is used for the Deadly Strike and the +1 to skills. The IAS is not needed. The dext from Raven is needed more than the AR to conserve attribute points.

Also, if you find it cumbersome to switch weapons, then this character is probably not for you. I don't have a problem doing so...after all it is pretty simple to Go out of town, BC, BO and then come back into town to enchant and then shift....

6. shade449

shade449 IncGamers Member

Well if you wear angelic ammy + 2 rings then you get 1 to skills and 115 to life as well. The raven frosts would give you 40 dex which means 120 to life. Thats a pretty similar. So basically you're sacrificing some ds and cbf for a huge amount of ar. And ds doesnt do you much good if you cant hit your target.

Edit: You'll also get 10 dex from angelic which means you'll get 145 life in all. That's more life than dual 20 dex ravens will get you.

7. Euro-Crash

No you don't. You get the life, you get the AR (at clvl 91 you get 1090 AR on each ring - with the ammy equipped). The Ravenfrosts have CBF, ~200 to AR on each side and 20 dext each. This conserves attribute points...which is somewhat the theme/ of this build.

The other goal of this build is to achieve 100% crushing blow, 70-80% deadly strike, high defense, and 5000 hit points. I need to calculate this character's AR...anyone know where I can find a calculator to do so?

Using level 23 Enchant from the Demonlimb is going to be huge. With the 5 P.Combats and the Anni, there are 24 slots available for small charms. Using 3/20/20's would be nice...but I have found that most are bound to vanish. Also, since the bear will be dealing a crushing blow EVERY time, and since he has 5000 hit points, and since his resists are crappy...I think the focus should be more on getting the resists up and getting his AR up....

Can the bear reach max resists and a NICE AR (12-15K) using the 24 remaining slots in his inventory? This is of course assuming P.Combats are used. As long as slvl 25 Holy shield is maintained we are on target. And, since I forgot that on switch the pally will have a CTA and SPIRIT, this of course changes things.

Pre-buff, BC, BO, Holy Shield will yield slvl 25 Holy Shield without P.Combats. This frees up some more room in the inventory. If he does use the P.Combats, Holy Shield then gets cast at slvl 30...and he then can make a heavier investment in Vitality...hmm....

Your input is appreciated....

8. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

something I see that is a potential problem with your build is the lack of a 4 fpa attack. You need 60 ias on a phase blade to hit it, and insofar as I can tell, you don't have it. Your other stuff should be decent, though.

--welt

9. koeraokse

koeraokse IncGamers Member

hmm, sorry if I missed something but, what's new about it? I dont think the skills, only equip? that still makes it the same build....

:rolleyes:
    *priit

10. Euro-Crash

Different skills, attribute layout, equipment, strategy and theme. The other Palabear was a WereTemplar. I suppose you would say that my PolarBear on USWest NL is not a new idea? Hmmm....

11. Euro-Crash

Highlord's has 20%, Grief has 30-40%, lvl 22 Fana gives 37%. Isn't this enough?

12. Weltkriegpally

Non wereform paladins require ias anywhere to hit their framerates. This isn't necessarily so for bears. Now while it is true that a werebear can get ias from outside sources, it doesn't work the same. Ias on the weapon is many times more important than ias off the weapon. If you want to hit 5 fpa, then a grief phase can hit 5 fpa with 40 onboard ias (37 if you use level 20 fanat or higher). It takes 60 onboard ias to hit 4 fpa with a phase blade, and highlords isn't going to help with that. You can check with wereform central (stickied at the top of the druid forum) to figure out the ias you need, but the max you will hit at is 5 fpa (assuming grief phase blade).

--welt

13. Tastychiken_europe

Tastychiken_europe IncGamers Member

A Botd Pb Could do it but... The dmg would Suck Incredibly much + its a total waste of runes no1 will trade for it :p

14. Weltkriegpally

you are correct. a breath of the dying phase blade isn't a bad idea for a paladin werebear, but a moded grizwolds caddy (80 ias, iirc) can do more damage and you still have sockets left elsewhere.

--welt

15. Euro-Crash

I have a BoTD PB on my Palabear (not this one). It is not a waste...of course, it is a Frost Zealot, so physical damage is not an issue. Why don't you check him out sometime?

A BoTD PB would not be a bad idea on this guy...this would also increase his life by quite a bit. It would lower the number of HARD POINTS needed to equip gear. The damage would be awful on this build however...

Hmmm....what to do now....

16. Weltkriegpally

go for a grief phase and lose a frame. Its worth it, just make sure it has the ias you need.

--welt