New hardcore elemental pally

Penance

Diabloii.Net Member
New hardcore elemental pally

hi guys,

I'm back to D2 after a long break. I plan to make a new pally in Hardcore, but I'm not already sure which one.
When 1.10 came out, I made a ~90 hardcore avenger, and it was my favourite character ever :)
I was thinking redoing an avenger, but I'm hesitating with a tesladin and a frostladin too, for a change. I read all guides in the sticky but I still have a few questions.

Considering that I won't do as much public games as before (damn rampant TPPK), and that I'm starting from scratch (no stuff and most likely my only toon). Which build would be the best ?
From my undestanding, the tesladin is the most damaging one of the 3, but the frostladin is the safest, and both seem to have more room for damage improvement than the avenger. But I could be wrong ^^
What can of damages can I expect comparing to an avenger ?

Thx for your advices !

WrongdayJ

Diabloii.Net Member
I have had really good experiences with the frost Zealot. The Tesladin is also great. I prefer the slowing effect with the frosty though.

I like to use poison as my backup damage do'er though.

Bladewind

Diabloii.Net Member
Frosties are great for crowd control. Remember to use CB and poison as a handy backup damage doer.

Penance

Diabloii.Net Member
Frosties sound great. But Tesladins seem to do way more damages, and you can still hire a Holy Freeze merc in A2 NM if yu want to play safe : sounds like best of both world to me...

One more thing about the Avenger : mana loss. Even with very good stuff, I remember struggling yo keep my mana up. Was very irritating, and particularly deadly in mana draining packs.

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Frosties sound great. But Tesladins seem to do way more damages, and you can still hire a Holy Freeze merc in A2 NM if yu want to play safe : sounds like best of both world to me...

One more thing about the Avenger : mana loss. Even with very good stuff, I remember struggling yo keep my mana up. Was very irritating, and particularly deadly in mana draining packs.
You know, since you're going to need an immune solution (LIs for Tesladin, CIs for Frosty), you could always do a hybrid Zealot. Max Holy Freeze, Holy Shock, Resist Cold, Resist Lightning. That gives you a secondary element to switch to against immunes, and it also lets you enjoy the best of both worlds- higher damage against minor nuisance packs, higher safety against deadly packs. You can also pick which one you like best and run it most of the time.

Basic skill plan-
1 in Sacrifice
4 in Zeal (you can get by with less if you have +skills)
1 in Vengeance, 1 in Conversion- Conversion is a fantastic crowd control skill. I'd never be without it when playing solo.
1 in Holy Shield + 4 total prereqs- no brainer
20 in Holy Freeze/20 in Holy Shock + 2 total prereqs- again, no brainer
1 in all Defensive Auras except for Resist Fire
5 in Resist Lightning
5 in Resist Cold

That should take 71 skill points, finishing up at clvl 64 at the end of Nightmare. Additional points should go into Holy Shield, Resist Cold, or Resist Lightning, depending on your preferences at that point. Also, don't bother putting more than a single point into Salvation- 2 points in Salvation synergize Holy Shock/Freeze less than 1 point in ResCold and 1 point in ResLit.

Also, since you have Holy Freeze yourself, your merc should go towards fixing your biggest glaring weakness- AR. Hire a Blessed Aim merc.

After you get to that point, decide which aura you prefer and max the corresponding synergy. It's best to have one super-strong attack and one secondary attack than two mediocre attacks. I usually prefer maxing ResCold, because Holy Shock is capable of killing just fine with just 5 points of Synergy, whereas Holy Freeze sometimes struggles- but really, it's up to you.