Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New game announcement in 2007?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by garebear2571, Nov 15, 2006.

1. garebear2571

garebear2571 Diabloii.Net Member

New game announcement in 2007?

Hello everybody,

I don't read the D2 forums all that much, I mostly hang around in the WoW forums. But I do check the Diabloii.net homepage probably once or twice a day while bored surfing. I was recently playing around on google and found an article about an interview with Paul Sams (COO of Blizzard). The article is dated August 26, 2006. To my knowledge it has never been mentioned on the dii.net homepage. Now, like I said, I don't visit the D2 forums too often, so please forgive me if this article has already been posted once before.

The article was mostly about WoW and it's success story. However towards the end of the article (after the bit about the Warcraft movie), Sams is asked about SC2. He says
    Sure we all know D3 is coming SOME day, but that's not what really caught my eye. The very next sentence is as follows:
    This article was posted in August 2006. So the Burning Crusade was announced before this article was written (in fact the article talks about the Burning Crusade). So my figure is they pretty much HAVE to be working on SC2 and D3. More importantly, it looks like they are going to announce a project in 2007. (To that note, SCG could also be an unannounced project as at the end of the article they mention that it's on "indefnite hold." So they may have started working on it again). My only worry is the fact that they use the word "product" which makes me worry it might be a T-shirt line or something like that (*crosses fingers*).

-Gare

The link is *IGN link removed* if you are interested in reading it. Again, I mostly visit the WoW forums, so I'm not familiar with the link policies on the D2 forums. I read through some of the stickied threads, and I don't think this violates any rules, but, if it does, please forgive me.

2. mumba

mumba Banned

Most of us did expect to have a sequel to sc and d2, theres little doubt about that. What we dont really know is when it will come out, and how it will be compared to d2/sc. Most of the d2 programmers are gone from blizzard, so theres little chance that d3 will resemble much of d2.

What people around this game feel is that d3 will be much like wow, which is not really what the diablo series was all about.

So its nothing new that there is somethin cooking with blizzard about d3, its whether the game will continue in the d1/d2 path or go towards the look of wow and other mmorpg's

3. garebear2571

garebear2571 Diabloii.Net Member

Right, a very valid point/concern. I was more posting because it looks like they will announce a new "product" in 2007.

The article also says that Blizzard is NOT interested in becoming an "MMO Company."

I am personally looking forward to D3, but I am hoping it is not an MMO (which I'm guessing it won't be).

~Gare

The exact quote is:

4. Merick

Merick Diabloii.Net Member

Very interesting. I'm glad Blizzard is planning on making a non WoW announcement. I don't recall Blizz ever going for such a long period focused on one game. I guess the cancelation of SC:Ghost had a part in that, but still, we haven't heard about anything but WoW for years.

5. bg1256

bg1256 Diabloii.Net Member

Given the incredible and ongoing success of WoW, I don't anticipate D3 coming out in 2007.

Why would they be their own biggest competition?

6. Merick

Merick Diabloii.Net Member

They wouldn't have made WC 1-3 if they were concerned about two RTS games competing with each other, would they? Why not two very different RPGS?

7. ispankpigeons

ispankpigeons Diabloii.Net Member

D3 would only be competition for WoW if it also charged you to play it online, which i highly doubt. they'd lose the entire fan base.

instead what it does is gets the still massive diablo fanbase to all go out and shell out another 40 bucks for a copy of this new game, bringing in millions of dollars of revenue for blizzard from a franchise thats like 8 years old.

thats just smart buisness.

then they leave it and forget about it and let it go to pot like they did with LoD, and they win.