Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

new faster connection but......

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by PanteraRIP, May 14, 2008.

1. PanteraRIP

PanteraRIP IncGamers Member

new faster connection but......

I don't get it, I go through the trouble (not really, it was just a phone call) of upgrading my connection and now my lag issues are worse.... do I need to reinstall the game or something?

I just want the experience to be as close to single player as possible.... jeez

2. Ghist

Ghist IncGamers Member

Re: new faster connection but......

This depends somewhat on what you mean by faster connection. Usually ISPs market higher bandwidth as faster connection and in a sense they are correct since it should take less time to download something with higher bandwidth. However games like D2 do not care much if you have 1Mb or 10Mb downstream, what matters is latency (round trip from your computer to server and back).

This gets interesting if you are on DSL considering DSL business model requires oversubscription. ISP buys some dedicated bandwidth like 3 Mbs and hooks a DSLAM to it. Then they proceed to sell consumers 40-80 DSL connections for 1.5 Mbs. They assume not everyone is going to be on net at the same time or moving data at the same time. When this happens DSLAM will start slowing the traffic on DSLs. 20ms latency can turn into 800 ms for hours. You download speed might still be just fine, but upload usually gets congested first which affects your latency.

I had this exactly same problem earlier and there was no solution to it other than getting a dedicated bandwidth line.

3. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

There's also the issue with graphics card and Direct3D. This will have nothing to do with your ISP, but on which area/build you are playing. If you do not know what I am talking about, then do a video test (provided by D2) and switch it to DirectDraw first.

4. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

first chat
    /fps
    and see if its your fps or lag

if its fps issues change it to d3d or use the glide mod
    (constant 60+ is good)

if its lag issues, visit http://www.speedtest.net and check if your up/down speeds are what they should and ping is good
    (under 500 is playable)

5. PanteraRIP

[​IMG]

fps in game is almost always 75... I have no idea if that is good or not.

I haven't played since I first posted this till now, and the ping spiking thing is out to lunch.

I hear cable internet is better (I have dsl) but this is coming from people I know personally who aren't that great with puters either. If there is some truth to it I'd love to know.

6. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

dsl should be fine, does it always happen, or only in certin areas, could be bnet being bnet

7. PanteraRIP

not always but when it does spike, we're talkin 1000 and up