New Diablo jobs hint at new Diablo game

Elly

Administrator

New job postings have appeared on Blizzard's website which make for some intriguing reading. Under the Diablo category they are looking for a lighting artist, senior character artist and senior concept artist.

We've seen job postings before but these are a little more interesting. On the listing they come under Diablo and titled Unannounced Project. Now these could be for another expansion but if you look at the job description on the senior concept artist posting for example it reads:

"Blizzard Entertainment is seeking exceptionally skilled and passionate senior concept artists to help drive the vision of characters and worlds in our next hit game!"

"We’re looking for artists that are self-starting, versatile, and enjoy being part of a collaborative environment. The ideal candidate shares our sensibilities, loves dark medieval worlds, and feels there are countless stories left to tell in the Diablo universe! "

"Next hit game" and "stories left to tell" doesn't read like an expansion job posting. Let the speculation begin. Remember that last August saw a job posting that certainly appeared to seek an Art Director for Diablo 4.

Thanks Eric Brighteyes for the tip.
Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Felis

Diabloii.Net Member
Ha! I knew it! "Diabo Online" is coming ;)
No, not really. But it DOES sound exciting.

jamesL

Diabloii.Net Member
well the way the game is now is there even any point for a new game or expansion ?

does anybody even play the story and go through the Acts ?

or is it all just bounties and rifts and whatever

I really don't know

I haven't played since the Crusader came out

now that people ignore the story and just grind other stuff is the average player even interested in going back to story mode ?

DiabloBaal

Diabloii.Net Member
My GOD.... its been years I think since I was last here... I think the site was "diabloinc" (it still is I guess) when i used to frequent the D3 news and stuff... hey everybody whats up... :D

On Topic:
I was part of the rage team back when Diablo 3 came out but since then in truth Blizzard has done a fantastic job of "trying" to get this game to be true 'Diablo' game, but I think its time is done and I really hope this job offerings translate into a brand new game instead of a expansion.
Somethings that Blizzard really need to consider for D4

1. Trash the stupid story... [My Thought] have Diablo 4 take place in the distant past when Jered Cain and the Horadrim were hunting the prime evils and make it seriously dark in feel, lore and setting like diablo 1.
Imagine having well written characters to bond with over the story and then have one the most loved friend Tal Rasha make the sacrifice, and since Diablo is the last prime evil to be captured by the horadrim, just think how epic that climax will be. Ending will show the D1 monastery being built.

2. Move as faaaaar away as you can from World of Warcraft in game design. Simple... no gigantic armors no colorful settings and sound design.

3. I'm down with them keeping this gameplay but with some of the best game devs minds at blizzard, I would suggest they sit down seriously and think of ways to integrate skill trees into this system. I'm sure they can do it.

4. MOST Importantly.... DO NOT MAKE IT ONLINE ONLY... that blew up in Blizzard's face and too this day no matter how good the internet connections, there are still server lags, rubber banding though not many disconnects. I don't care what you DRM apologists say... always online is NOT ok and no matter what Blizzard says, they did it to avoid piracy which they did, at the cost of paying customers.
(8-12 years old "so you can pirate and play for free" comments incoming)

5. Do NOT make it so much casual just so that console people are happy. DO NOT DO THE D3 BS... YOU HAD US ESSENTIALLY HAVE D3 BETA TESTED FOR 3 YEARS FOR THE CONSOLE PLAYERS... STOP IT...

I know D3 is one of the most sold game in history but it cannot be denied that at least in the first years of its release D3 entirely sold on Diablo 2's legacy. It really plays well on consoles and thats where the big numbers come from now I think.
Diablo 4 if it ever happens will be the real deal showing where blizzard and diablo stand with players...

nobbie

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't think that these job offers for an unannounced Diablo project (likely D4) exclude D3X2, which I believe is already in the making and will be announced at gamescom this year. The demand for expansion-size content is high, and Blizzard knows that. So, D3X2 first, then D4.

koko

Diabloii.Net Member
I am glad you did not speak about "skill points" or "rune words" or "set items"... I think what's in your comment is precisely the base of what have to be "reverted" from D2 but keeps room for innovation in D4 (or D3X2, it could be the same product, just look at OSX or Windows 10). In its current state, there are less build in D3RoS than in HotS! And the only way to die in HC is lag...

koko

Diabloii.Net Member
Skill tree? What for? (honest question, not a troll). Just for "character development", which means no respec? Do you want skill points? (for the sake of SoJ with +1 to all skills). I did not like skill points of D2: skills were either "1 point wonders" or "have to be maxed out (+ synergies for patch 1.10) to be efficient" and this did not add much gameplay but it was OK (and fun for early progression) with D1 since you had no cap on the number of points. Why "tree"? Is there a point to force you the pick up 5 useless skills to get frozen orb at the end?

koko

Diabloii.Net Member
The engine is not that bad. Let them release a modding module and let us design the game we like. All the bricks/art are already in the game. We just want to change the math behind (this includes legendary power since they are essentially a math formula). Something silly like modding in javascript or python would be enough.

D jr

Diabloii.Net Member
Today's Blizzard is not capable of creating a second D2. This is simply because of how the company operates, the choices they make. I mean the people pulling the strings, the higher ups. It's clear that the company has very skillful people (artists, coders) working for them but this is not the point. They're simply on a train that heads in a certain direction. I think anyone who is a long-term Diablo fan and has closely followed D3 development knows what I'm talking about.

By the way I have uninstalled D3 a long time ago. I had a paragon 100 DH on hardcore when 100 was the highest possible. I had a billion gold in hardcore. I just quit and uninstalled. Never touched it again because of a combination of para 73 WD lag death, the poor itemization and lack of endgame content. This game pales in comparison to D2. I still play D2 up to this day. Back then being critical about D3 was viewed as Blizz bashing or just being negative etc. It's at least a bit comforting to see the opinions have changed and almost everyone now agrees that Blizzard made the wrong decisions right from the beginning.

Mackan

Diabloii.Net Member
Today's Blizzard is not capable of creating a second D2. This is simply because of how the company operates, the choices they make. I mean the people pulling the strings, the higher ups. It's clear that the company has very skillful people (artists, coders) working for them but this is not the point. They're simply on a train that heads in a certain direction. I think anyone who is a long-term Diablo fan and has closely followed D3 development knows what I'm talking about.

By the way I have uninstalled D3 a long time ago. I had a paragon 100 DH on hardcore when 100 was the highest possible. I had a billion gold in hardcore. I just quit and uninstalled. Never touched it again because of a combination of para 73 WD lag death, the poor itemization and lack of endgame content. This game pales in comparison to D2. I still play D2 up to this day. Back then being critical about D3 was viewed as Blizz bashing or just being negative etc. It's at least a bit comforting to see the opinions have changed and almost everyone now agrees that Blizzard made the wrong decisions right from the beginning.
Agree. Unless Mike Morhaime realises a few things, and a new team is hired to make a Diablo 4, there is no hope whatsoever for the old fan base. But until more information emerge regarding Diablo 4, we cannot give up hope totally. Just 99%. I'll probably retire before I see the next Diablo game, but if they return to the roots, I might feel excited in my old days.