Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New diablo fan here, and I have some questions...

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Rukay, Mar 1, 2017.

?

What's the best way to play Diablo 1 these days?

Poll closed Mar 8, 2017.
  1. Original PC version with Hellfire Expansion.

100.0%
  2. PlayStation version with Couch Co-op.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Diablo 3's new Diablo 1 event.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rukay

Rukay Diabloii.Net Member

Hello, I'm new to the wonderful world of Diablo, and I've got a few questions for you all today. Let me start off by saying that I'm a huge fan of Legacy running the old games before playing the new, and I firmly believe that games are best played on the hardest difficulty on the first go, to make an infuriatingly difficult boss remembered for the rest of my life.

1st Question, Difficulty Secrets.
    I've been playing around on Diablo 2 and found that there seems to be a hidden /players 8 command that makes the game harder, I'm wondering of the other Diablo games have this feature in one way or another, or if it's just this game. As I've said before, I'd like to play them all on the hardest difficulty for the first run. I've also read that you can play harder difficulties after beating the game, so I'm assuming I can't play those without some sort of glitch, and I don't think I'll be playing those difficulties since they aren't the first run.

2nd Question, Diablo 1.
    As far as I know there isn't any official way to buy/download Diablo 1, so I'm unsure of how I want to play that one. I hear there is an event in Diablo 3 where you can fight all the old bosses of Diablo 1, and I'm wondering of that's a viable option to experience Diablo 1 (I'm assuming it isn't.) Since Diablo 1 isn't easy to get a hold of I was also considering the Playstation version on ePSXe, but it doesn't seem to have the Hellfire expansion; Although, I've read that the Hellfire expansion isn't canon so I'm curious of whether or not you guys think it's worth playing or not, which will effect my decision to play the PlayStation version or not.

So yeah, TL;DR
    Do Diablo 1 and 3 have a /players 8 command, and What's the best way to play Diablo 1?

2. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

1. I went back to play some Diablo I a couple years ago, buying a copy off e-bay. It took a bit of fiddling around to get it to run correctly, but I was able to get it working. It's definitely dated - the graphics more than anything - but it's worth playing through for the lore and atmospherics. It captured "dungeon creepy" better than just about any game out there, and the music in particular is top notch. I've never played Hellfire, so can't comment.

2. I'm not aware of any /players command on either Diablo I or III. With Diablo II it doesn't work on battle.net play.

3. Once you finish Normal difficulty, you can move on to Nightmare. Monsters are tougher, hit harder, and have more immunities. Once you finish Nightmare, you can move on to Hell. Again, monsters are much tougher in every way. However, it makes you play smarter, and much better gear can drop than in the easier difficulties. I don't consider a character finished until it's killed Baal on Hell difficulty, and all of my characters spend the lion's share of their time in Hell. I recommend it very highly.

4. Welcome to our forums!

3. Rukay

Hey Noodle, thanks for the response!
    Although you didn't really answer some of my questions, I'll definitely have to beat them on Hell mode now.
    I'm thinking that, if Diablo 1 and 3 don't have a /players 8 command of any kind, then perhaps I'll look into playing these on the console instead. Diablo 2 is easy enough to get others to join me, but Diablo 1 might be tricky to install on multiple computers, and Diablo 3 might be less convincing to get them to purchase their own copies, but on the console I can just do couch co-op with another player that wants to play with me.
    Side note: I don't really have any interest in playing these online, just whoever IRL I can find will do I think. :p

Edit: I totally forgot to mention Hardcore mode, I think I'll try that on Diablo 2 as well. I'm not sure if the other Diablos have this mode either.

Edit again: just looked into Hardcore mode, looks like it's available on Diablo 2 and 3. I think I'd want to play Hardcore up to beating Normal, but after that I'd want to switch to non-Hardcore, and take on the harder difficulties... Or maybe up to when I die. XD

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  4. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Party play in Diablo I is pretty interesting, in that you have to worry about friendly fire. If you're throwing around fireballs, for example, and hit one of your friends, you'll do damage and can kill.

Hardcore mode is available in all three games, I believe. Certainly in Diablo II and III.

5. Rukay

So, I've been doing some more reading, and it looks like the /players 8 command doesn't exist in Diablo 3, but they have a thing called "Monster Power" as a substitute, except that doesn't exist anymore and was replaced with "Torment"? It's all very confusing to me still... Basically I'd like to know what the hardest difficulties are for the first run, like if I ran the game on Torment 6, could I still add more players in the game and just try to solo it as an added level of difficulty? I also still have no idea if Diablo 1 has any sort of player scaling at all, and from the sounds of it, the friendly fire multiplayer of Diablo 1 wouldn't have such a feature...

6. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

Welcome to the forum!

The best way to play Diablo 1 I believe is the PC version. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the PS1 version is graphically inferior due to hardware limitation. The interface is different and movement using a controller can be problematic for some players.

Both Diablo 1 and Hellfire can be found on ebay if you don't mind paying for them, you can also try your luck with Google searcho_O

Hellfire adds some new content and quality of life improvements like being able to run in town. I suggest simply playing D1 and then straight to D2 with the expansion installed.

As for difficulty here is an overview on all 3 games:
    http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Difficulty

I would try playing D1 as is, D2 on /players4 and D3 on expert.

Iirc hardcore mode can only be unlocked by finishing normal mode in D2 and completing story mode on any difficulty in D3.

7. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Hi, and welcome here.

Diablo 1: very worth to play, as it's atmosphere is incredible. Graphics are very outdated though, and not having the option to run makes it really slow. It doesn't have a scaling option for difficulty iirc. Not sure about HC.

I played the Hellfire expansion a lot too, but to be honest, it's not really good. I'd stick to the original.

Diablo 2: very fun game. Difficulty can be set between /p1 and /p8. While /p8 obviously is harder, sometimes it makes the game a lot more grindy, as you just have to pound on a monster longer. That's definitely not always the only difference, so it might as well be to your liking a lot.

Diablo 3: this one is online only, so you'll have to cope with that. Having said that, you can easily play it solo of course. There's 17 scaling difficulty settings (normal, hard, expert, master and 13 Torment levels), so you can definitely make that one hard. I wouldn't put it on T13 right away though, as all monsters will just kill you in one hit.

Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 used different terms to increase difficulty (/players x command vs difficulty levels), but they basically do the same: give monsters more hitpoints and make them deal more damage.

Good luck, and have fun !!

Edit: what I forgot to say ... the Diablo 1 event in Diablo 3 is horrible. Well, maybe it even isn't for people who haven't played Diablo 1 back then. But if you want to experience Diablo 1, play the original. The Diablo 3 event doesn't replicate it, not even close.

8. Namtar

Namtar Diabloii.Net Member

Your mileage may vary, but if you want a more challenging playthrough experience, I find /players8 to be easier than /players1 in Normal difficulty. The reason is that you gain a lot more experience on /players8 and level up faster, which gives you access to higher level skills sooner as you progress through some of the tough areas. In particular, Normal Diablo is a huge ordeal for some classes if you've been playing on /players1 the whole time, but on /players8, you have more skills, which outweighs Diablo's increased health.

9. Rukay

Oh wow! so many responses already.
    Thank you for all of your answers, it makes it a lot easier to make a decision on how I want to play. I managed to get the PC version of both Diablo and Hellfire working on my computer, but I can't seem to figure out how to get multiplayer working for regular Diablo. :/

I bought Diablo 2 from the Blizzard store, and it works great, but I can't get fullscreen to work properly. (which is fine I guess...)

I haven't really tried out Diablo 3 yet, but if it's online only, then I assume if anyone I know locally wanted to play with me, then they would have to buy the game themselves. (on that note, it's probably against the ToS to share my Diablo 2 code with anybody as well... Basically, I've been letting them join me on my downloaded copy by using the homegroup feature in Windows 7, so technically I didn't share the code, but still...)

I've done some reading on whether or not the console version of Diablo 3 requires you to be online or not (it doesn't!) and I'm seriously considering playing that instead, and if you guys say Hellfire isn't all that worth playing then perhaps the vanilla version on PS1 is actually a viable option. Multiplayer works without a hitch on the PS1 version, and the graphics don't really bother me.

That said, I would still prefer any PC version I can play multiplayer on locally. I don't know if Diablo 1 works on windows 7 for multiplayer anymore, so the console version may be my only option. As for Diablo 3 I guess it really depends on if Starter Edition is worth playing with friends or not, even if I have the full version, and they don't.

Anyway, Namtar makes an interesting point, and if I don't want a broken experience then perhaps I should keep the game on /p1.

Sorry if that was a bit wordy, but there was a lot to say about it. :p

10. Namtar

I vaguely remember trying Diablo I on a Windows 7 class machine and having graphical problems despite some tinkering, but I own an old computer running Windows 2000 that still works and I played it on that for a bit. I'm sure a new computer could be set up to run Diablo I if one wanted to. Emulate an old operating system or whatever. I've never played Hellfire and can't comment on it...

Diablo II was made for some tiny (by today's standards) resolution. I think it was 640x480, so whether you even want full screen is iffy. My current monitor is a UHD television and I was able to get Diablo II running full screen, but I forget how...

11. T72on1

@Namtar has a good point on /p setting in D2. However, it doesn't have to be one or the other, /p1 or /p8. Often the middle road, something like /players 5, is best in the end, because you don't get too far ahead on the leveling curve, the game isn't too difficult (untwinked, because twinked you'll manage to deal with /p8 easily), but not too easy either, and you still reach some skill level thresholds (18 for Andariel, 24 for Duriel, 30 for Diablo)

Btw, not sure why anything else than /p1 would give you a broken experience. Some boss fights, like the Diablo one, will be easier, but overall the game surely won't be easier.

Diablo 2 was made for 640x480 initially, which got increased to 800x600 with the expansion. On modern screens, this often gives problems to play it on full screen, but you can easily make it work with one of the various Glide Wrappers out there.

12. Rukay

I've decided that the console controls are just too much of an issue, and I'll be playing PC versions after all, even if I don't get local multiplayer. Full screen in Diablo 2 really isn't that much of an issue, since I can just press the maximize button, and it basically stretches to full screen anyway.

As for difficulty, I've thought it over, and ultimately I realize my attitude for difficulty isn't really about a challenging journey, but how strong the bosses are, so I think I'll stick with /p8 even if it is easier to level. Once I'm max level, Hell mode /p8 will be the hardest difficulty the bosses are at anyway right?

I'm not sure what you mean by twinked... is that the same thing as twinked in World of Warcraft? where twinked is locked level, and untwinked able to level (usually a term used for lower level PvP.)

13. T72on1

Hell /p8 is indeed the hardest difficulty.

Twinked means that the characters isn't (only) using items found by that character, but that it's using other gear too, found by other characters of yours and given to him. Character 1 can for example find a very strong sword and shield, hand it down to character 2 through a muling program (GoMule in the case of Diablo 2, very good program), and then character 2 will have a much easier time getting through the game.

14. Rukay

I see, I'm wondering if perhaps this game is where the term twink came from, since that's basically what it's used for in WoW.
    Good news~ I just figured out the full screen issue! I just had to turn off G-Sync, and now both full screen and cut scenes now work! (I didn't even know the cut scenes weren't working before now. XP)

T72on1 likes this.
  15. Namtar

Yes, but be aware that in Hell, the monsters often have a lot of life and that on /players8 that gets further enhanced, so unless your character has some particularly powerful way of dealing with them, clearing even areas that were not troublesome in Normal and even Nightmare can take a long time. This is on top of all the things that already make Hell more difficult, such as the huge penalty to your resistances (and if you can't cancel that out and get back up to good resistances, good luck not dying instantly to gloams). With enough patience and ingenuity, it can be done.

16. Rukay

Holy crap that sounds awesome! XD
    If it ever gets too hard I'm sure I can find some friends to join me in my endeavors. That definitely sounds like a blast!

17. Rukay

I've been testing out difficulty settings in Diablo 1, it looks like Vanilla Diablo has you start out in normal difficulty, and some reading online suggests that single player is only able to do normal difficulty, while nightmare and hell difficulties are available in multiplayer, but you will have to play a different character instead of your single player character AND not all of the single player quests are available...

In Hellfire, you can pick any difficulty right off the bat, it's single player only unless you get a hacked version, and all the single player quests are available except for 2 of them, unless you unlock them in the command.txt (I guess they were locked out because they were deemed 'too silly'?)

So now I'm really curious if it is at all possible to play Hellfire on Hell mode as a level 1 character, and still be able to gain some levels to get strong enough to beat the game... In Diablo 1's multiplayer it says that these modes get unlocked at level 20 and 30, which tells me that I probably won't be strong enough to fight even the 1st mobs...

So yeah... I guess the multiplayer is kind of botched in the 1st Diablo, and you might as well do it yourself anyway. What do you guys think? :/

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like I'm playing a Sorcerer.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017