Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New Computers?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bigD72, Apr 10, 2005.

1. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

New Computers?

At what point does one say "Time for a new computer"?

I've replaced the CD-RW and the optical mouse on my computer recently. It has one of the oldest 32 MB vid cards made. The DDR SDRAM was upgraded to 1024 along time ago. 1.3 GHZ and it seems more and more like old betsy isn't capable of handling her stuff any more, going really slow and not loading stuff often. 80GB HD.

If I do get a new computer should I get all new parts or get crappy ones and replace them with my current ones? Examples: The HD and the DDR SDRAM.

2. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

This is the difference between a Mac and a PC. I have a 1999 model 400 MHz PPC G3 iMac running OS9.1 with 128mb Ram and 10gb HDD. I replaced my CDD last year because after 4 years of continuous running it finally died (my $230 replacement LaCie Porsche is currently being repaired for the second friggin time though...). I Have a replacement keyboard thanks to my ferret's effort to get at a beer I placed too close and, also thanks to the lunatic ferret, I had to replace my mouse because she knocked it off the desk and it broke on the tiles.

Mine is a truly ancient Mac but it still does everything I need it to for the moment, and actually outperforms, in some respects, my mate's PC that he rebuilt for the third time last year, though the lack of HDD space is really starting to show. I will be upgrading later this year so I can play WoW. Unfortunately I can't afford a godly new dual-G5 but a MiniMac will suit my purposes, unless I can scrape up enough for a G5 iMac. Whatever I end up getting they all run all the programs I could want both professionally or for fun and there is no real PC equivalent that comes up to par.

3. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

It's about time for me to be getting a new computer. 533 MHz G4, 640MB ram, 16MB Vram (ouch!). I recently bought an external HD, which solved my storage space problems, but with my work I'm constantly working on 100MB photoshop files, a Flash project, and Illustrator all at the same time, plus all my accessory programs running. It still works, but I'd like it to be a bit faster. If I go to RISD I'm required to buy a laptop, and they give one hell of a deal to the students (Top of the line powerbook + $20,000 worth of software for $6000).

4. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

That reminds me about an article I read about Duke's former freshman class. They gave them all free iPod's.

5. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

I hate seeing deals like that. About 3 years ago I went to the SMPTE expo in Sydney and there was a special offer on a custom G4 with everything a small production company could ever want and then some. I don't recall the details but it was $18000 for a $120k package. Everything was top of the line, latest software and hardware like Maya Pro, FinalCut Pro, whole range of FX software, twin 24"(?) Cinema Display Monitors, even came with a Sony XL-1. Only problem was that the deal only lasted for one week and our financier wouldn't cough up the cash and selling all our equipment still would have left us about $3k short...

6. dave_simms44

dave_simms44 IncGamers Member

I don't necessialiry(spellcheck:p) think it's time for a new pc..if you take good care of it, it will last you a long time, as long as you can put up with playing some old games. My pc is a P3 800 Mhz with 128 sdram, 32mb vid card and 20 gigs of HD space, and it still opens everything as fast as ever, which, by the way it just a splitsecond or two slower than my friends' intel 3.0+'s. Not good enough for most new games, but can run plenty to keep me occupied.
    You said your comp goes slow and not opening stuff sometimes, is it because of spyware/viruses?Do you take care of your computer? The reason mine is so good even after 4+ years, is because I take care of it, regular spyware/virus checks, watching what I download, etc.(thinks you should do on a new pc anyway).
    Not trying to say this is the problem, but if you haven't been doing those things. Try it, or a reformat(if you haven't in a long time). Of course, if you take good care, and its just too slow for you, then yes its time for a new comp. :thumbsup:

7. PhsycoTimmay

PhsycoTimmay IncGamers Member

As dave said, try some spyware checks, defragementing always helps...hmmm, might wanna try upgrading the video card, if not for performance, just for sake of doing it :)