Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New Class Idea - Illusionist

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by gerbele, May 20, 2009.

1. gerbele

gerbele IncGamers Member

New Class Idea - Illusionist

Alright, I'm bored at work so I'll through in my 2 cents on a class I've thought about.

What I'm envisioning is a character is that is a mix of the following (just toned down)

-Necromancer Curses
    -Barbarian's Passives
    -Amazon's Dodge/Evade Skills
    -Paladin's Combat Skills
    -Assasin's Summons

One Tree would be the the curses, which would be in the form of a chant or throwing potions to the ground. The gaseous fumes within a limited range would determine the effected. The effects would include confusion, run away, slow down, weaken defenses, etc.

The next tree would focus on his/her Passive Abilities. As an Illutionist, most of the skills would revolve around defense (avoid/evade/speed/defense & resistance up)

The final tree would be his combat skills. To balance him, these would be somewhat limiting. Most of his attacks would be melee or single targeted. But to make him viable in the later difficulties, a few of his combat skills would have to be hard hitting and be able to deal both physical and elemental damage. Being an illusion, his summon would not be used for damage dealing but be for crowd control...possbily with a build in attract curse.

All in all, he would not be a quick crowd killer but rather focus on crowd control to isolate small groups. Due to his passives and being a good shield class, he could be a tank, only second to the Barbarian.

What do you think.

2. sicilian

sicilian IncGamers Member

Re: New Class Idea - Illusionist

The idea of an illusionist is interesting, but I'm wondering what his signature skillset would be? As you said, you've combined a lot of skill ideas from previous classes, but what would be the feature that would set this character apart?

It's an abstract idea though, and I applaud you for thinking outside the box. Chances are the classes are decided and will be pretty formulaic, so it's nice to read some different ideas just for fun.

3. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

Wrong section, should be posted here.

Basically the Wizard class pawns your "idea", D3 is a new game, just combining all the skills from D2 to make a class is :thumbsdown:.

4. Dimmu

Dimmu IncGamers Member

I would think of an illusionist as a pure caster, I guess because of D&D.
    That would be fine if we didn't already have two casters and a void to fill for a ranged class and a heavily armored hybrid kinda thing (paladin type, but obviously completely different theme).

5. gerbele

gerbele IncGamers Member

---

I think Blizzard will introduce the ranged warrior next. I think that will complete their 'formulaic' characters. The 5th and final character of the initial release is their chance to try something different.

But your right, I'm sure the classes are already determined. This IS just for fun to pass the time until it is released.

6. Demetrium

Demetrium IncGamers Member

I agree. I'm personally expecting (and hoping for) a ranger/scout type of class. I think they've run the rogue/amazon course about as far as they can at this point.

7. Furades

Furades IncGamers Member

There are 2 classes remaining, meaning 1 of them is a Zon type of class and the other would be another melee class like the pally.

8. Funkopotamus

Funkopotamus IncGamers Member

It would be neat if there was a character that incorporated something that referenced the old characters kinda like this. I'm kind of taking this idea from Spiral from the Marvel fighting games where she has a special that, when activated, will make your next hit initiate a large combo that has you do a single attack from every character in the game as she quickly either shapeshifts or uses illusions to mimic all of them. I can't really remember which though because she could easily do either.

Say you had a concentration-esque attack, like one powerful blow, the character changes appearance and will occasionally change into like old and new monsters, old npcs or heroes, etc. In theory it seems kinda neat but I could foresee it becoming annoying.