Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

new character

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Royaumm, Nov 23, 2017.

Tags:
?

Who should I build?

Poll closed Nov 23, 2018.
  1. zon

16.7%
  2. paly

16.7%
  3. sin

33.3%
  4. druid

33.3%
  5. necro

33.3%
  6. barb

16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Royaumm

Royaumm Diabloii.Net Member

I want to make a new character and im not sure who to make. I need some help deciding! Since i have go mule and already got some tokens I want to make a character with multiple fun builds i can switch between to get the most out of the char slot and time spent lvling like maybe a zon that would have 2 sets, a jav and bowa and I could switch between. Another semi important thing is that they could run through the game reasonably easily cus im not amazing at the running part. (ie i dont wanna barb lol) My current thoughts are:

zon (jav/bowa)
    paly (zeal/smite (I'm sick of hammers tho i would run hammer for running))
    sin (kick/trap)
    Druid (shift/wind)

It is single player so I was thinking avoiding paly unless i wanna go for like a auradin or fist build cus zeal and smite are really for duels and ubers.

I already have a sorc so i dont need her again.

Do you guys have any input on any of these ideas or any others you can think of?

edit: I wouldnt be interested in a summon necro but maybe psn/bone

I am really looking for something fun so i was also thinking waybe i could try weird things like trying to make a psn dagger work?

and also them being hard to gear up properly is a huge bonus for me! I wanna have to make it a long term goal and really have to work for it

2. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

Not sure people here can help you, surely having played the game excessively in order to reach 99 and having all the gear means you know better than anyone here to decide what makes the most sense or what you want to do next?

ioupainmax likes this.
  3. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

I'm sure someone of your calibre would do well with a Fire Elemental Druid...

4. Royaumm

I'm more looking for opinions so im sure even people like you could be helpful

I don't need any build advice or anything

plus everyone who plays d2 has played forever. The fact that I only have a sorceress and spent all my time on her only detracts from my knowledge of other classes sadly :( tho my knowledge of sorcs isnt much better than average I mean everyone has one. I am really really good at playing sorcs now. Not needed on the main but speedrunning sorcs has gotten a ton easier.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  5. Gynli

Gynli Diabloii.Net Member

Ive been told to give her a second chance, so i will start with couple of comments.

@Royaumm
    Because of the earlier incident, i believe many of the members will actively avoid or even frown upon any of your posts, comments, showoffs, achievements etc etc. Its something you will have to accept, and you will need to put in the effort to win the trust back if you want to be a part of this community.

You should know, any characters and items that interacted with your blizz sorc are 'tainted' by the forum standards. It is a term used on this forum to describe a crossover of any chars and items from one category to another; sometimes to distinguish between vanilla (no mods, even the forum acceoted ones) and FAM, but more often between legitimately and illegitimately gained items and chars. Any posts with 'tainted' items or chars - in the latter sense of the word - will most likely receive a harsh responses from everyone, if at all.

May i suggest starting fresh? It is entirely up to you in the end, but it would help you much more in the long run.

Going back to the topic, sorcs are a very good starting class. Easy to play, doesnt rely heavily on gear, and having the teleport alone makes her strong compared to the other classes. There is a mat/pat compilation thread stickied on the main page, so have a look at them before you decide on a build.

On a similar note, id like to say you shud try them all. Making a fun strong character is good and all, but d2 is much more abt the progression. SP is vastly different from the Battle.net experience where you can decide on a class and build, instantly get rushed to mid 80s, and trade and put on top-tier gears in just couple of hours.

I suggest you try out all the classes and builds and play the game the way it was meant to be played; progress through each difficulty, incrementally improving your character along the way - even better if you dont look up all the builds and optimal gear. Try mat/pat a character first, before you ponder about the most fun or optimal or 'the best'.

I guess ill close out by repeating what i said in my first response to your post the other day.

Welcome (back) to the forum!

6. Royaumm

Well I want to thank you very much for your post and advice! I also spoke to a mod and the source of the distrust has been explained to me already. Also I realized i am in the FAM category not the no mod category as I thought. But I have never used any mods besides FAM's ever so my sorc is not tainted herself therefore none of my items are tainted. I realize you all are skeptical and I know I mispoke in my original post but I am not throwing away almost 3 years of work because i was too excited when making 1 post. It doesnt make much sense. I will however accept that people will be distrustful of me if that is how you feel but I decided to stick it out and keep using this forum regaurdless of my opinion and sooner or later you guys will know me well enough. I also will not be commenting on any of this in any of my posts because I will just get overwhelmed again with so many people responding and be unable to properly communicate, and it will clog up my threads. I will begin reporting any mention of my sorc as spam. If you would like to ask me any questions, want to hear me out, or want to insult my poor sorceress, please do so in a pm and I would be more than happy to read it over and possibly give you a reply. One thing I would consider however is keeping my sorc and her items in a separate gomule stash and starting these new characters as forum characters and gear them by themselves and only trade items from them. I am not sure yet, but recommendations on this over pm would be appreciated.

On the topic of this thread, I was thinking that as well and that's the main reason I left out barbarians. They are so gear reliant that the early levels are just no fun and in general the game play just isnt rewarding. I really prefer somthing as click intensive as a sorc where I use keys to swap between teleport for travel or dodging and say static to blizz. I got really good at it so I want a character here my mechanics will be worth something for them. And I want to run this character through hell baal untinked andd then fill them with items after they are just rerunning. So ideally a character fun to run through would be good.

Thats really why im making this thread. I want a fun character to run through and who will scale well (not really power wise but in a fun gameplay sense) Im having a hard time weighing the two for each character...

7. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Just to add on to Gynli's comment; I don't know the specifics of your situation, but if there was anything untoward (and I'm not accusing you, as I said I know little about your situation), start fresh now and stay within the forum parameters. I promise you, you will regret wasting the opportunity that this forum provides.

Regarding your question, assassins are fun, level as a trapsin and then play around with martial arts builds. Or level as phoenix strike perhaps. Also, zeal is not restricted to dueling and various zealot forms are fun and powerful.

Edit: I replied before your response.

8. Royaumm

thats totally fine. I definitely agree with you tho. I joined , and was very excited to join this forum because I have been reading posts on here for game mechanics for a very long time now and I wanted the chance to ask questions and such on here.

A general question I want to ask here tho as I don't expect many pm's, Would leaving my sorc by herself and starting a new gomule stash for newly found items and new characters be enough for most people on this forum? As I mentioned before I invested way too much time in getting 99 to EVER consider deleting her. I mean, show me one person who would delete their first ever, and only lvl 99! I would just never conceivably do that.

edit: also, as I'm sure you all have seen, I have not talked to anyone about diablo 2 who has known anything about the game in probably 3 year. I am not good at it yet. I don't know what you all know, what you dont know, or what you want to know. It will definitely take me some time to adjust and make posts that fit better to the way this forum is run and that can effectively communicate my position on anything. I promise to try my best but I think until I get that down, I will not be trying to tell you guys anything really. I dont want my new characters excomunicated for the same reason as my sorc :p once I figure out how to talk about d2 i will begin sharing everything again. Except maybe not my sorc lol we will see if she ever comes back into a good reputation and if not I am not going to bring her up unless specifically asked (again if you want to ask i request it is in a pm and not spam in my threads which will all be unrelated.)

9. Royaumm

you know what ill start another thread for that lets leave this one to the character discussion if anyone is interested in that

10. Gynli

Gynli Diabloii.Net Member

Just to clarify, what i meant as starting fresh was starting from scratch with 0 items and 0 characters. What you do with the sorc, and any chars and items that came in contact with the sorc in anyway, is up to u.

If you decide to keep her - i assume you will - you should go the extra mile to keep a separate save/gomule folder. Just to be extra clear, any items found by the sorc and the chars using the items found by the sorc, and the items found by those characters and so on, should NOT be mixed with the freshly started characters. For all intents and purposes of a fresh start and your activities on this forum thereafter, everything u have now shud all be deleted.

EDIT :

Cycling back to the topic, i second the assasin. Traps are simple enough for you to progress without much difficulty and martial arts requires even more skill switching than a sorc.

EDIT2 ;
    Try to use edit like i am doing here to avoid spamming multiple posts.

11. Royaumm

I am liking the assassin idea. I didnt realize a martial arts sin was so skill intensive.. and trap sins are a breeze to run through norm and nm on top of that. and i could stick with a leaf short staff lore helm and stealth armor for a long time with wake of fire all of which would be very easy to make from norm/nm... hmm i love that idea! I already have done hell speedruns for assassins before. I like burst of speed especially because she wont have teleport.

EDIT: before i commit to it yet tho i would like to think it over a bit more/hear some more opinions. I tend to really load all my time into chars and i dont want to start a character i will get bored of.
    plus, she would most likely become my early game mfer so i need to look for reasonable stacking mf on a sin could be without sacrificing too much dmg/surviavbilty. I could tho also start a sorc and run her into at least a3 nm and run andy/meph/trav in nm over and over to gear people. I dont mind repetative mfing. It's actually my favorite part about this game :D

Edit 2: does anyone happen to know if andy/meph/trav can drop any of the unique claws? I have never searched for them specifically b4

EDIT3: In this forum timetraveling forward is alloud correct? but only from 1.10 forward? are there any items that are better to get there significantly? I'm sure veterans would know what items to look for if it is acceptable. That would be an extremely fun search i think and new because ive never played in a non current patch! It would mean learning how to get a different patch which would take me forever because i suck which comps. That's actually the only reason i never got pluggy lol (ofc now i wont download it. i already have gomule and i dont need any other reasons to not be trusted on here :p )

12. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Bartucs and Jade Talon certainly, maybe Firelizard (name? :p ). Not sure about the indestructible and ethereal claw.

13. NamelessPenguin

NamelessPenguin Diabloii.Net Member

If you don't want to run, then a Sorc is your only option, unless you are going to grind LK for Enigma runes.

Trappers are very fun to play, they can become very powerful with the right gear. You can shop Anya for a great pair of claws, if you have the patience for it, and hunt Mephisto for the rest (inculding Enigma, if you're lucky :D)

Javazons are also very fun, just because of the obliterating skill called Lightning Fury. They can also rock with relatively easy to obtain gear. I don't have any Bowa experience, can't chime in there.

Same with druids, very powerful with relative cheap gear (Dual Spirit, easy to get, since your RWM)

Whatever you decide to do, if you dedicate time and effort in building your character, you will probably be very pleased with him or her.

But what @Gynli said! Start a new character, isolate your old Sorc (also from the forum..), join the Untwinked 99 Mission, share your progress and finds, and everything will probably even out :)

14. Royaumm

teleporting is a huge issue. I personally dont like enigma. or any runewords actually. I like to stick to crafted rares and uniques for final version gear. but i dont want to make a sorc again. this is a chance to try something new after 3 years spent on only sorceress. I don't know if i will like not having teleport but in SP i at least will already have the maps! and i think that sin is the front runner because she has burst of speed to help with the no tele issue

15. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

I'd start with a sorc (pure blizzard) or paladin (zeal, respec to hammers early NM).

Reason? Very powerful with some easy to get/make items.

The sorc is quicker to begin with, if played right, but may struggle in hell at first. No worries; as soon as you reach the Ancient Tunnels in act 2, you're pretty much where you want to be for a LONG while.

The paladin is a bit slower through normal, but as soon as you are set up for, say, 20 runs on NM countess and 100 runs on NM Andariel, you should have at least +7 all skills (+1 amulet, dual spirit, +1 armor and +1 helm) and can pretty much breeze through the rest of the game. With no teleport, that is. But Vigor and Charge goes a very long way.

16. BKC

BKC Diabloii.Net Member

I guess whirlwinding is not running? or is it? :p anyways, lets start with this:

A new welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy your stay and will not until forever have to defend your troubled start :)

The advise helvete gives you is a solid one i would go with a blizzard sorc to level up and start running AT + pindle (this way you can acquire some wealth for other builds). And or a Hammerdin. Both can become quite powerfull with reasonably easy to obtain items. the other suggestion i would like to give you is that of the fishymancer (skeleton+golem+merc army) it can be played naked (now that is not a good idea) but it means you can stack up your MF pretty big. The later two means you have to be running around instead of teleporting.

If you have any questions i will be happy to help you out.

NamelessPenguin and T72on1 like this.
  17. Royaumm

I never thought of that for a fishymancer! I bet you really could stack up the mf like an online item find barb... That could be a fun project!

18. Locohead

Locohead Diabloii.Net Member

Just want to point out that it appears your poll won't close until November 2018, so you have a long wait for your new character

19. Cyrax

Cyrax Diabloii.Net Member

@Locohead That's what you call planning ahead.

20. GalaXyHaXz

GalaXyHaXz Diabloii.Net Member

Lol Loco... made my day! :p

Royaumm likes this.