Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New Build: Friar

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Kirbybabo, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Kirbybabo

Kirbybabo IncGamers Member

New Build: Friar

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. Down to business, I am currently in the process of crafting a new build up. Im titling it the Friar, as I will be using a staff to do combat with and will also have some clerical abilities to take on undead and heal my party.

What I have planned so far is (For level 90)
    Skills
    • 20 Zeal
    • 20 Sacrifice(synergy)
    • 20 Fanat
    • 20 Holy Bolt
    • 15 Blessed Hammer(Magic Damage Holy bolt Synergy)
    • Pre-Reqs/Other Auras (Vigor/Med/Defiance/Cleansing)

Stats
    • Str-Enough to use items(I am thinking Guardian Angel will be top Str req)
    • Dex-None.....Really not sure if Fanat/Zeal will give enough AR Need input here please
    • Vit-Rest
    • NRG-Nein

Equipment I can decide on a later date, as this is my first character on USEast Ladder, and I have absolutely nothing :)
    Ideas though are, Guardian Angel, Upgraded Ribcracker (Good runeword like BOTD in an Archon Staff for the extremely rich), Shako, ect. If this character is sucessful I will write up a full guide for it. Anyway, input , ideas, comments, whatever, please post them!

Thank you
    ~Kirby

2. Cheng

Cheng IncGamers Member

This is basically a Zealadin with Holy Bolt thrown in so whats the point? Go for something more unique.

3. gohanthemystic

gohanthemystic IncGamers Member

Ok... well with how long this class has been aroudn is there really a way to be unique anymore? I mean most people don't pump Holy Bolt on a Zealot... the usually go defiance and holy shield so this is an sorta different way of doing things. Now the funny thing to do would be to use holy fire as the aura for the friar... wait tho... that would make it frier with an E tho...:(. Thanks for noting something that we will never probally see again... a unique build.

4. Kirbybabo

Thanks for reply, It definetly is a unique bulid, but I also want it to be viable. Does anyone have an idea on what I should do for dex? Really would be helpful right now, thank you!

~Kirby

5. Cheng

Cheng IncGamers Member

Without 150+ dex with equipment you are going to be at hurt without Holy Shield.

6. gohanthemystic

I'm assuming you mean for defense... and i'd say the best thing you could do is get some good armor and a Act2 normal Defiance Merc. Or a defiant partner lol... Otherwise you are going to have some serious difficulty. The build sounds great... It would be sorta like the cleric tho... more for support.. not for much soloing. What realm are you on... i might be able to help you out with it some :)

7. Kirbybabo

Disregard cheng please, hes my friend and is being a :cheesy:

8. Calizzar

Calizzar IncGamers Member

if u really wnat to make it unique, u should were equipment that makes u look more like a friar.. like dont wear a helm, or wera a circlet.. dont wear metal armor.. and so on

9. Kirbybabo

Well, not for defense really, as I was planning on a defiance merc, for my Attack Rating. Will it be enough with base dex to hit monsters in hell with Max zeal/fanat? Once I figure this out I can finalize build. BTW I am on USEAST Ladder SC

10. gohanthemystic

It's all good... i know how friends can be lol. Besides no worse than how it used to be around here with GohanSSJ and all them argueing

11. gohanthemystic

For AR... hmm... You might want to bump it up to about 70... without equip that is. That with max fanat/zeal should be good. Been awhile since i played a melee build other than avenger tho so i'm not so sure.

Edit: I have figured out a good set of equip for it too :) ... the Disciple set lol
    btw my account is *VegetasArmy on USEast SC Ladder

12. Kirbybabo

Perhaps I could use a Blessed Aim merc? Shooting for Enigma later on, I should have a ton of defence and it would not be too bad. With a Blessed Aim merc I could possibly stay base dex and have great AR/Chance to hit. Dunno, can any avid zealers respond to this post please?

13. prion

prion IncGamers Member

yeah your build is unique.

unsynergized holy bolt is kind weak tho, you might want several points in prayer for healing. and you may as well just zeal the undead.

This build could be a lot of fun but for one thing: staves suck. You're basically limited to ribcracker, Naj's, or a runeword, as staves don't tend to generate with melee bonuses.

14. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

I like this ideal.

15. holymage

holymage IncGamers Member

maybe using the rune word HONOR in a stave would help. I would reconmend a holy freeze merc. The slower the monster go the more hits with holy bolt you'll get off....Naj's staff is a good weapon for this build. Actually the whole set probably fits the theme and is relatively cheep. Hmmmm maybe charge would be better, I mean Friers probably didn't swing there staff around all that much (i.e zeal). I would bet there more one hit wonders.

16. LordDrift

LordDrift IncGamers Member

i dont see it working without holy shield. IMO without holy shield a pally wont do well

17. steve2677

steve2677 IncGamers Member

LOL, i like the build and i just have one question what does friar mean to you? The robin hood drinking robin the rich guy? or the actual holy man? AR question is up for spectulation ( cant spell right now) as after str req are done you could raise dex/vit when needed per lvl. I agree with the holy bolt not doing enough damage if you atcually want to kill undead FAST in hell, if not then keep youre build as is.

18. Paladuck

Paladuck IncGamers Member

No matter what your skill points are, you have to wear a circlet and some form of studded leather =D

19. Kirbybabo

Giving this more thought, I believe I could become a decent soloist using my max fanat/zeal/sacrifice. Now, for team games, which will be a large part of his leveling up ect, I am going to sub out the 15 BH for 15 Prayer. This would allow me to heal and use my other 1 point auras more effectively.

Giving equipment a thought...Optimal- Enigma Leather-Style Armor, Shako(good circlet), BOTD Archon Staff, War Travs, Verdungos, not sure on rings or ammy, and maybe Draculs for gloves.

20. prion

prion IncGamers Member

let us know how you do with staves as you're leveling, I've been wanting to make a monk for some time but I'm not sure how to get around the staff problem.