Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

new bowazon

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by amphreded, Mar 25, 2004.

1. amphreded

amphreded IncGamers Member

new bowazon

i've been reading amazon forum for a while to stir up my new ideas for my new zon. i havent played amazon since 1.09 burizon so i know i dont hav that much of a knowledge here.

anyway this amazon will be concentrating on her freeze /strafe /multishot /pierce skills to maximize the %chance to cast ___ that her gear provided. for example, using carrion wind for its twisters or hellmount glove.

because bowazon is a good crowd controller, as well as she can fire multishots with insane speed with high enough IAS, i think it's perfect for amazon to try to use the best of all gears that provide %chance to cast something on striking/attack.

BOW SKILLS:

1 Magic Arrow
    1 Guided Arrow
    1-20 Strafe (physical damage is not vital in this build. really you just need to get 6 for max targets)
    20 Multiple Shots
    1 Cold Arrow
    1-10 Ice Arrow (for its freeze lenght synergy)
    1 Freeze Arrow

PASSIVE/MAGIC:

1 Inner Sight
    1 Slow Missiles
    1-10 Decoy (for valk's health)
    1-20 Valk
    1 Dodge, Evade, Avoid
    1-10 Critical Strike (physical damage is not vital in this build)
    20 Penetrate
    1-10 Pierce (depends whether you use razor's tail, or other bow that provide pierce already or not)

GEARS: most of these gears sound absurd to use, but this is an experimental build. for example if u use witchwild, it means u probably want amp damage to compliment your physical damage so why not use windforce instead? ans: because this build aim for u to have as much %chance to cast as much possible. so when you fire multiple shots, many random things happening at once :)

Bows/Crossbows
    a) Hellrack. for elemental damage
    b) Upgraded witchwild's for amp damage
    c) Upgraded skystrike for meteor
    d) Upgraded Goldstrike Arch for Fist of Heaven (this is what i plan to use, although not sure about upgrading it for its requirement)

Helms
    a) Delirium for confuse
    b) IAS helms. like mavina.
    c) Giant Skull for Knockback. you're gonna need knockback somewhere in your build. this seems like a good place. if you have IAS jewels, socket them here.
    d) Vampire Gaze for leech and added cold lenght.
    e) Tal Rasha's for leech

Armors: there are no armor in diablo2 that have %cast on striking/attack. so this is the best place for you to pump your resist, cannot be frozen, etc. you can also use either crow caw or twitchthroe for extra openwounds/IAS.

Glove
    a) Dracul's grasp for lifetap and souldrainer for weaken. eventhough they seem of no use, it's just part of the build.
    b) Laying of Hand. IAS & %chance to cast holy bolt (very low lvl though)
    c) Better than the previous gloves mentioned: Lava Gout! 20% IAS and the best part of it is its %chance to cast lvl10 Enchant on striking.
    d) if you have demon limb for enchant, then you can throw lava gout out and use Hellmount instead. Actually i think this build is gonna be most fun, most chaotic because of this glove. Hellmount has 4% Chance To Cast Level 12 Firestorm On Striking & 2% Chance To Cast Level 4 Meteor On Striking. also added firedamage is good.

Boots
    a) Goreriders. eventhough this build concentrates on %chance to cast; openwounds, deadly strike, crushing blow are also good when you are hitting multiple targets (especially openwounds)
    b) Again, boots dont have chance to cast on striking/attack. so here is a good place to increase your run/walk speed, resist, or other mods. You can also use Gorefoot for the extra +2% mana leech if you have a problem with mana.

Belt
    a) Upgraded Razor's Tail. is a must. you'll always want 100% pierce since that means more chance to activate those %chance to cast on striking/attack abilities.
    b) If you use bows with some pierce or full pierce (like Buriza, or Kuko), then you can look more into belts like:
    i) Nosferatu's Coil for IAS and slow target 10%
    ii) Mana leech belt like gloom's trap or wilhelm's pride.
    iii) Mavina's Tenet. for leech and runwalk

Amulet
    a) Atma's Scarab. for amp damage chance and AR bonus
    b) Cat's Eye for IAS, 25 dex, and Runwalk speed
    c) Crescent Moon or other rare/crafted amulet if you need more mana leech
    d) other rare/magic amulet with %chance to cast on striking. for example %8 chance to cast lvl5 chainlighting on attack.

Rings
    a) Carrior wind. %8 chance for lvl 13 twister + poison creeper to stop monster regeneration
    b) Wisp projector. 10% chance to cast lvl16 lighting & Heart Of Wolverine

of couse, some gears you need to change to increase killing speed. you might as well use windforce or hellrack as your weapon instead of goldstrike arch but that will pretty much kill the idea of this build

this is my aimed gears:
    Gold Arch Strike (maybe nef'ed it for knockback)
    Delirium
    Crow Caw
    Hellmount
    Goreriders
    Razor's Tail
    Atma's Scarab. or better: rare amulet with good leech and %chance to cast lvl 5 chain lighting is ideal (shouldnt be too hard to find).
    Carrion Wind/Wisp Projector

with these gears (assuming I'm using amulet with %chance to cast chainlighting), i have these possible damages/spells cast:

lvl7 Fist Of Heavens: Holy Bolt Dmg 76-86
    Lighting Dmg 240-290

lvl12 Firestrom: Average Fire Damage: 51-59 per second

lvl4 Meteor: Fire Damage: 149-175
    Radius: 4 yards
    Average Fire Damage: 63-84 per second

lvl5 Chainlighting: Lightning Damage 1-84

lvl13 Twister: Damage 37-39

lvl16 Lightning: Lightning Damage 1-192

lvl18 Confuse

45% Open Wounds.

Total Damage able to do if all chances are activated at once:
    Minimum: 428 + 114 fire damage per sec. +76 holy bolt damage to undead
    Maximum: 780 + 143 fire dmg per sec. +86 bolt to undead

Of course I can't keep all gears like this if I want to have high enough resistance through hell. I might need to change crow caw, delirium, or amulet to compensate resistances and extra mana leeches.

GENERAL TACTICS:

Multiple Shots:
    when met a large group of monsters, Multiple Shots are spammed, let the chances do their work until monsters are dead. full piercing is neccessary here. a lot of spells casted by your gears affect more than the monster the spells got casted on. for example, meteor, molten bolders, twister, confuse, and sometimes fist of heaven are likely to effect more than one monster. lightning and chainlighting also pierces, so this helps deal with crowd control also.

Strafe:
    strafe is applied to smaller group/single monster. imagine 3 arrows struck a monster, and pierce through to hit the monsters behind it in a packed group: this allow multiple fist of heaven/lightning casted upon them. For 'large' monsters like end act bosses or yeti, spells like twister (3 twisters), holy bolts from FoH, can hit those big monsters better.

Freeze Arrow:
    freeze arrow's use is basically to keep a group of monster in its place. you continually fire freeze arrow at them and let the arrow pierces through the group of monsters. the monsters are kept in its place while all these random spells are activated. meteors really benefit from this. works well in tight corridors.

THE MERC

well i forgot to mention the mercenary. since this build is still an idea i dont really know which merc is best to us.
    i'm thinking about barb merc who uses beast runeword for fanaticism (if i can afford it) with hwanin's armor for chance to cast static field on struck. he might use delirium instead of my zon so my zon can go for other helm.

well if u read up to this point, just give me comments. i'm not really sure whether this build will work out or not. if anyone tried this before, tell me about it. i'm thinking of naming this build something a chancezon

2. kiljoy001

kiljoy001 IncGamers Member

I have already done this

I have bowazon that uses the same principals that you are proposing. It works ... ok. You will notice that you will run out of steam later on in act 4 & 5 where there are way more monsters that use elemental attacks (my resistances are all negative.) even so, I do ok, and seem not having too much of a hard time either. I will list my gear and reasoning.

weapon: Upped buriza (needed more dmg)
    Armor: Toothrow (open wounds)
    Belt: Mavina's (needed mana leach)
    Glove: Mavina's (needed str)
    Ring: carrion wind
    Ring: Rare with ll4% & +11 all resistances
    Boots: Gorerider (for more fun)
    Ammy: Atma's (for amp dmg)
    Helm: Blackhorn's (for slow, slow & cold dmg from buriza = you aint coming close...unless your immune of course oO;)

3. amphreded

good to hear someone had tried this build out and work.

have u tried using m'avina bow instead of buriza? i know you probably cant switch now since you dont use razor's tail and probably dont have a point spent in pierce since you r using buriza... but since u already use both mavina belt and glove, using mavina bow gives great partial set bonus.

using belt, bow, and glove grant additional 30dex to 20strenght granted by 2 m'avina items. the bow will give u 114-377 magic damage which i think is better than buriza's cold damage since magic immunes are rare. also 3 partial grants +10% chance to cast lvl15 nova (92-139 lightning damage) on striking.
    and for helm, if u get m'avina diadem, then u get 4 partial bonus on the glove which is the incredible 131-252 Cold Damage, 4 sec. Duration bonus - which is higher than buriza's cold damage (although u no longer freeze enemies).
    with belt, bow, glove, and diadem, u also get +2 bows skills, +50 resistances, 50% AR, and +1 all skill. sounds a lot better than just using buriza with blackhorn. well you are no longer have monsters uber-slowed but still i think damage is better, beside m'avina diadem grants u 30% IAS. and also using m'avina bow means you can increase framerate more than just 11.

EDIT: u probably use buriza with blackhorn to keep monsters away as much as possible. i think that can be compensated by using knockback
    EDIT2: sorry to forget that your build is probably depending on physical attack. so yeah, an upgraded buriza would be better.

4. heilskov

heilskov IncGamers Member

with atma´s you only get 5% to cast amp, so the deliriums higher % 33 or so, will wash away amp those times when you get it, which wont even be that often. Also if this build isnt about pysical damage, why atma´s ? and why dont you have a stronger elemental attack skill? GL with your strafe-
    zone.

also I heard that x% to cast on striking doesnt work like it did in 1.09, in 1.10 its only with a few(or a singel) of the arrows from multishot, so strafe is the best option.

you cant relie on x% to cast (spell name here) to kill anything, I saw the damage on the spells if all of em went off:

428 + 114 fire damage per sec min dmg from x% to cast
    780 + 143 fire dmg per sec max dmg from x% to cast

also I dont think that more than one x% to cast can be triggered from one arrow, meaning if this damage is from 10 spells form casting you´ll need to fire 10 arrows at the monster. Also with the chances being so small, what are the cances of you ever getting all of em on one monster??? (VERY SMALL)

then there´s the res. most monsters in hell mode have 30-50% all res. Meaning your dmg would be only about half of what its be calculated to.
    I hate to break it too you but a build based around the spells x% triggered on striking cant kill anything.

your better off makeing a zone that either does a pys. attack of somekinde or uses one of here elemental ones.

5. kiljoy001

I would have if I had the bow, it would have been my first choice - I have the armor too after all lol. When and if I get the bow... welll =P

6. kiljoy001

Hence, the poster should look for these things instead - Slow, open wounds, cold, poison dmg.
    Another simular build could be made with the pus spitter - you know the bow that has a chance to cast lower resist... and stack all the poison, elemental charms you can get your grubby paws on and strafe to the cows come home.
    And yes, I know THAT will rock.

7. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

1-10 Ice Arrow (for its freeze lenght synergy)

the synergy is pointless - with lvl 20 IA the length is only +2 seconds on normal = 1 second NM = 0.5 second Hell - so spending more than 1 point is a waste imho

i could be wrong as i have never maxed IA but i seem to recall those being the stats from other posters

8. kiljoy001

brings to mind of a fire/ice bowazon i was going to make - max IA, max immo & fire... strat? Chill and warm... chill and warm. :lol:

9. amphreded

wow i didnt know that multishots dont work well with %chance to cast, and also i didn't know that %chance to cast can't trigger all at once by one arrow. well i think i'll just use my old burizon and give her all %chance to cast gear and see whether this build is really effective or not (well i know from the begginning that it wouldnt be the most effective zon, but i just want to be able to multishots monsters and see all the spells cast randomly). my old burizon has 10 multishots and some strafe, so i'm gonna try her out with goldarch strike and other stuffs. if it doesnt work then i'm a sad sad guy :(