Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New Bear - Maul or FClaws ?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by ferentix, Feb 14, 2004.

1. ferentix

ferentix IncGamers Member

New Bear - Maul or FClaws ?

I have always played druid... because DRUIDS RULE!!! :clap: . But so far i have limited it to playing Fury WW, now i wanne try a bear (NO NOT LIKE THAT). But I can't seem to find out which is better Maul or FClaws
    other than that i plan to put skills into:
    +20 WB
    +20 Lycan
    +20 HoW
    +20 Maul/FClaws
    +10 Shockwave

Will this build be any good, or did i misunderstand the whole thing ?? :D

2. VictusMetuo

VictusMetuo IncGamers Member

Both types of Bears can be very effective, but both have their problems. Of course the problem would be immunities to their said damage type. Either way, it's not incredibly hard to have a weapon switch that could fix that problem.

Mauler's are more item dependent and Fire Claws Bears are skill dependent. If you were going to be a FCB, you would obviously want to focus more on synergies than other things. You wouldn't really want a Spirit, and you wouldn't want more than one point into Werebear. The reason is because +%ED does nothing for this character because you are relying on Non-Physical Damage, and just attacking at the fastest rate possible. Also you wouldn't need HoW for AR either, because you would have more than enough AR with Fire Claws. So instead you would want to focus those points into Synergies instead. You could max 3 Synergies to Fire Claws, Fire Claws, and Lycanthropy. If you need more information on a Fire Claws Bear, I would suggest you take a look at the FCB Guide by Coldarmy. It is for PvP, but the information still carries over to PvM.

Mauler's are more item dependent, and you really want to rely on a big fast 2-Handed Weapon. The possiblities vary upon your funds, and if you're well off, then the possibilities are near endless. If you lack a lot of funds, there are some cheap weapons that are very good. IK Maul, Ribcracker, Buriza, Reaver, Bonehew, the possibliites are close to endless even for the person without the funds. Of course if you had the funds, you could get into some pretty crazy cruels of quickness, and BoTD's. The weapon is probably the biggest factor in a Mauler and how effective he is. Skills look ok, you'd have an extra skill you could max, so that leaves the possibilities to be huge. What I would suggest is that you do put a point in Hunger, because this skill is an incredible life saver. You could also get by with less points in Shockwave if you have a good amount of +Skills. You can check out TheDragoon's Werebear guide, it's not completely updated for 1.10, but it is still very helpful.

Or you could combine the two into a Hybrid Mauler Fire Claws Bear. Here you could drop the HoW and max Firestorm for a Synergy. Then you could also equip him with Stone Armor for a free level 16 Synergy. It's a best of both worlds build, but you lack some in terms of Fire Claws damage. Of course if you had the funds, you could get 12k+ Maul and 5.5k+ Fire Claws. That's close to a perfect build though.

Any way you look at it, Bears will be incredible. Shockwave IS the best PvM skill. Once you get it down, you shouldn't have a problem really with any of these builds. Which one you use, is up to you.

3. ferentix

Thanks for the very usefull information :thumbsup:

4. ferentix

Fire Claws Bear
    +20 Lycan
    +1 maul
    +20 Fire Claws
    +20 Firestorm
    +20 Molten Bolder
    +20 Fissure
    +4 Hunger
    +5 Shockwave

Or

Maul Bear

+20 Werebear
    +20 Lycan
    +20 Maul
    +20 Heart of Wolverine
    +20 Shockwave
    +1 Fire Claw
    +5 Hunger
    +5 - any suggestions ?

Are these bears any better ??

5. Boddah_khan

Boddah_khan IncGamers Member

Dude, there are only 110 skill points in the game. And thats at level 99.
    Theres no chance of getting to 99 anytime soon in the new patch. Cut down a couple of those skills to make it a bit more realistic. Cheers!

6. ferentix

I know I know... thats just my perfect solution... if i ever reach level 99 i'm not gonna put them in that order... and I ain't gonna max one before moving on to the next

but by the way isn't there 111 skill point in total... including the different quest bonuses ????

7. Boddah_khan

Boddah_khan IncGamers Member

Nope, you don't have a skill point a level 1.

8. VictusMetuo

Fire Claws Bear
    +20 Lycanthropy
    +20 Fire Claws
    +20 Firestorm
    +20 Molten Bolder
    +20 Fissure
    +6 Shockwave
    +1 Pre-Reqs

Or

Maul Bear

+20 Werebear
    +20 Lycanthropy
    +20 Maul
    +20 Heart of Wolverine
    +20 Shockwave [last points after first few]
    +1 Hunger
    +1 Grizzly
    +1 Pre-Reqs

Or

Hybrid Bear
    +20 Werebear
    +20 Lycanthropy
    +20 Maul
    +20 Fire Claws
    +20 Firestorm
    +1 Hunger
    +7 Shockwave [or 1 if you have enough +SS and rest in Spirit]

9. Yellow_Lenghan

Yellow_Lenghan IncGamers Member

Small question: between Pure WB FireClaw Druid and Pure WB Mauler, which build is the fastest killer in hell in multiplayers game (4-8 players)? Thank you.

10. VictusMetuo

Depends on the part of the game you're in. If you're in a high FI area, you're pretty much screwed as a FCB. If you're not in an area like that, or fighting high resist monsters, FC can be faster. Straight Mauler doesn't run into many problems except for a PI's which aren't really a problem anyway. FI seems to be more common than PI. Then again, playstyle can slow either build down quite a bit.

11. VVanker79

VVanker79 IncGamers Member

They both have their problem areas (due to immunes). That's why I'm going with a FC/Maul hybrid. If you run into a PI, you've got enough fire damage to get the job done. And if you run inot a FI, you've got the physical damage to take him out. All the rest of the time you're doing both physical & fire damage (since you can charge-up maul and then switch to FC).

But between the two pure-breads, I'd go with Maul because there are far less PIs than FIs.