Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New Barb

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Kronto, May 30, 2008.

1. Kronto

Kronto IncGamers Member

New Barb

Ok, I started a Barb. Just got back into the game after years away. I grabbed Hal's Concentrate guide. I had already started the character, and some points were spent. I think it will even out by the end.

Issue is I am now 71, and severely undergeared. This is my only character. So, I have no way to twink gear to him. I am struggling in A1 Hell. I can die fairly easily even in NM.

I havn't found much for MF gear, and or set/Uniques. I need advice on how to improve him. I can't MF run the places I need to for gear upgrades. And my farming efforts for runes and tradeable socketed or ethereal gear has been pathetic.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. churinga

churinga IncGamers Member

Re: New Barb

I'm guessing you are so vulnerable probably because your resistances are very low in NM and Hell. If I'm right, you need to add more resistance gears or charms. Also, as my own experience, as a first Barb with poor gear, you need to spend every fortune you have for a relatively good weapon. Weapon is Barbs' most important part IMO.

3. Kronto

Kronto IncGamers Member

Yep, I think both points are correct. I had a two handed Unique War Maul or something. That didn't seem to be working. So, I grabbed a Rare tomahawk with some good stats/skills and such. I grabbed the best shield I could find on a vendor and it's better. BUT, not good.

I know I need better gear, but if I can't MF I don't know how to get it. I am trying to farm runes, and socketables.

Thanks for the tips

4. Darksteel

Darksteel IncGamers Member

Ral Ort Tal FTW for untwinked chars.

5. churinga

churinga IncGamers Member

You can collect pgems to trade for ok gears. I'm on US West Ladder, and around 36 pgems can trade for like a Pul, and Pul can buy lots of good stuffs. Stuffs like IK Maul only cost a few pgems, which is far better than your current set up.

Also, use a shield socketed with Tal, Ral, Ort for the Ancient Pledge runeword, which is better than any vendor stuff.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  6. Kronto

Kronto IncGamers Member

THANKS, I will make a runeword shield when i get my hands on a good one. Hopefully that will improve things.

7. Barloc

Barloc IncGamers Member

that plus you should be able to finish up without top gear. I solod conc with gimmershred/durials which were my 2 best items at the time. cheap trades.

Decent damage and nice res is about all you need to complete.

8. Kronto

Kronto IncGamers Member

THANKS for the advice. Got that shield runeword in a Troll's Nest. And I have manged to put on some levels through Hell Baal runs. Even managed a few careful runs through The Pit. Though I havn't sen much in the way of drops. I can't wear enough MF to get good stuff. But, in time I shall!

Any advice for weapon Specialization? I am following Hal's Concentrate guide. And will be putting those points in now. Just not sure what weapon type to best suit my build. Counting on using a shield mostly. So, I assume a high damage, fast 1hander....

9. carnivore

carnivore IncGamers Member

careful, you absolutely dont need any mf to find good stuff. 0 is enough for any given item in the game. mf will only heighten the chance for a base item (that will drop regardless of mf) to be unique. set, rare or magic. you should also take a look at the mf effectiveness for the different types.

do nightmare or (if you can in a decent time) hell countess runs for runes. you will eventually have the right ones for some decent low level rune words. which weapon type did you chose?
    if none, you could go for a lots of decent weapons (preferably in a phase blade as it has no durability):
    passion, crescent moon, honor for example
    or if you go two handed, try:
    obedience or insight in a polearm

for those cheap rune words, take the next best elite weapon that will work. you can always make them again later.

look here for item related things:
    http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/

10. Kronto

Kronto IncGamers Member

OK, not sure if I understand your response. Are you saying don't use any MF? I don't think any normal items will be upgrades for me. And or are you saying I could benefit from using certain items for MF gear?

I can manage Hell Countess carefully. I have done The Pit a few times now. It's slow going, but I can make it through. I have started trying Countess runes..just discouraging to get a El......

Not sure if there is a benefit for my build to use a particular weapon type. I have not picked a specialization yet. I may go with a Phaze Blade, as repair bills seem a bit high for me currently.....

11. carnivore

carnivore IncGamers Member

im just saying that mf is not a "must have" to get specific items. a small example:

one of the rarest uniques (or the rarest? dont know) in the game is Tyraels Might:
    if you dont have any mf at all, hell baal will drop one every 400,000 runs on average.
    if you have 125 mf, he will drop one every 223,000 runs on average.
    300 mf: 1/170,000 chance
    500 mf: 1/154,000 chance
    900 mf: 1/138,000 chance

getting a tyraels might is just luck, no matter how much mf you have. of
    this also shows, why mf is often overrated. the more you additionaly stack, the less you gain at the same time.
    its always: kill speed first and mf second.

there are some decent items that are both, useful for killing monsters and have mf (like war travelers - unique battle boots), which would be ideal.

i hope i cleared it up a little.

on countess:
    hell countess can also drop keys of terror for the über tristram-quest; they trade quite well. (will average every 12 or so kills).

weapon specialization:
    as soon as you decided on one, you can put some points into your weapon mastery, which will give you some more damage and attack rating. just save some points until you are sure what you want.