New barb weapon

matjex

Diabloii.Net Member
I made an extra grief for my frenzy barb. Poor guy got his present taken from him when I made an enigma and needed the second grief for a pit barb. Now they are both grief PB's, and I'm considering to give him a Death.

Question is - should I make a death in a colossus blade/sword or wait till I can make both grief and death in BA's?

Colossus blade is the fastest, but still not as fast as a PB, is it a waste to put in a CB?

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not sure how much do you play, but Death is pretty inexpensive runeword to make (Vex and Gul are not exactly that rare), so you can go ahead and make it without concerning yourself will you be able to find runes to make it also in BA. Unless you need Vex and Gul runes for something else.

LiquidClear

Diabloii.Net Member
Just spitballing here, but have you done any speed calculations? With Frenzy the -30 base speed on PB's has always persuaded me to use them in the past, especially since Grief (primary weapon) ignores the base damage when adding 340-400. In the past I've used Grief PB/Death CS (I think it was sword and not blade, it's on old computer so not sure) and it kills just fine, although Death freezes corpses which is annoying if Find Item is being used. Basically I'm just saying there's no reason to "wait" for BA's because IMO Frenzy barbs should end up using swords anyways. Also the -5 difference between CS and CB will probably be a moot point depending on other gear, so it may be best to just go with the bigger damage number.

matjex

Diabloii.Net Member
Haven't done any speed calculations, but it probably won't be a problem when he is boosted from frenzy. Thank you very much, I will make my CB death then :)

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
In addition to what LiquidClear wrote, a BA has a rather low durability and it will need a lot of repair. Finally, BAs look silly on barbs.

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
Death has indestructible mod though

Do you have to worry about disparate rangeadders when dual wielding? PB has 1 and all twohanders have 2.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
I know that frenzy charges up and that the duration counter is reset on each hit, but I have never really understood attack speed and the frenzy speed bug. So far, I simply put the faster weapon into the slot at the left side of the character screen. By the way, that's the barb's right hand, something which might cause a lot of confusion, so I'm using the term "slot".

Let's say, weapon A with a base speed of M and X% IAS is in the left slot and weapon B with base speed N and Y% IAS is in the right slot.

Q1: Regarding speed, in which way do M, N, X and Y matter?

Q2: Regarding the bug, what happens to attack speed if A hits? What happens if A misses and B hits?

To my knowledge, the left weapon's IAS value is used on both weapons, but B's base speed matters. Or is it the IAS of the first weapon that hits?

I made a few experiments with this calculator (aka TitanSeal's calculator), but I doubt that it produces accurate results. For example, if I choose phase blade as first weapon and colossus sword as second, I get better IAS breakpoints than with two phase blades. That makes no sense!

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Well, I know the calculator and its predecessor and propagated its use in these forums for more than 10 years. I just haven't made that many frenzy tests with it so far. If that calculator is accurate, it means that frenzy is faster with a phase blade and a colossus sword than with two phase blades. I don't think that's the case :).

BTW, another posting in your link strengthen's my suspicion: https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/beginner-frenzy-barb.738074/page-7#post-7272790

Regarding your link, I'm a bit confused about this:

This bug applies as expected to Double Swing (experimental results matched those calculated), but not to Frenzy
So why has the whole been mentioned at all then? That's not a rhetorical question. I know that Onderduiker knows a lot about the game, so there must be a reason. Perhaps it's for the sake of completeness, so it covers double swing as well?

When reading the last posting of the thread, it seems that I'm accurate with my assumption that for frenzy, it depends on which weapon is put into which slot and that only the IAS of the left slot is relevant. With other words, I have to take care to equip e.g. Grief left and Death right, no matter in which order (which I found out through experiments IIRC). Is that the frenzy bug?

I could make further tests, but I currently have no frenzy barb, although I'm playing with the thought of starting one :).

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Perhaps Frenzy has similar WSM bug as claws? With claws bug is applied in a way to put faster claw above the boots and slower claw above the gloves, then simply every time you switch to your claws, simply lift and put down your slower glove-side claw which will make your boot's side claw primary now, but there is a glitch in WSM formula, so they will be bugged now. How bugged?

Assume playing without the bug. Best combination is of two -30 claws, right? So, average WSM is -30, rigth? Assume now you use -30 claw like Runic and 0 claw like Suwayyah. Average WSM is -15, right? But, if you do use bug, their average WSM after the bug will not be -15, but -45 instead which makes Suwayyah + Runic Talons to be faster combo than Runic + Runic.

I have no idea is the similar thing applied here. Frenzy would be even better if you don't use switch at all because once you use switch, bug must be reapplied again which makes it only PvP-doable thing rather than used in PvM.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Acording to zemaj's link, it applies to all dual-wielding skills, but it's different with frenzy.