Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

new barb set

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Charons, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Charons

Charons Diablo: IncGamers Member

so I'm a little concerned about the new barb set. I'm gonna think out loud here.

2pc - 300% dmg to rend....ok awesome

but then 4pc - 300% duration...uhhh...doesn't that totally negate the 300% dmg?

lets say my normal rend does 10,000 dmg over 5 seconds. 2pc bonus is now giving me 30k dmg over 5 seconds. awesome. 4pc bonus tho suddenly makes me do 30k dmg of 15 seconds. ya. That completely negates the 2pc bonus. Its not like its hard to cast rend. This would be the exact same as casting rend on a mob 3 times over 15 seconds. The only good thing is that I can cast and forget making the whirlwind bonus easier to take advantage of. but it seems dps wise this will be quite weak.

i just played around with rend/whirlwind...keeping rend up is actually a pain in the arse. So perhaps their main goal here was to allow rend to last a lot longer without nerfing it. I feel they need to do more with this set tho to make it elite. they should combine the 2pc and 4pc into a single bonus and add something else that is cool to this. ESPECIALLY since its a 6 pc set. Something like rend or whirlwind gain all runes. fury generation with this combo is gonna be odd. I was blowing thru fury in my test pretty fast. (but i was having to cast rend every 5 seconds) I had to use charge to keep fury going without disrupting the rhythm. the rend belt will certainly be a must on this set for double rend.

2. altermaven

altermaven IncGamers Member

Your math is incorrect.

(Reworded because I just rediscovered the bonuses)

If your Rend does 10,000 damage over 5 seconds, 2p will simply put that as 30,000 over 15 seconds.

4p will triple this to 90,000 over 15 seconds.

6p will enable Whirlwind to hit enemies affected by your Rend for increased damage.

So in essence, you are still doing 10,000 over 5, just two extra times over if you had the 2p set. Your damages do not change with a duration shift.

EDIT: clarity

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  3. darkrealm

darkrealm IncGamers Site Pal

4. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

Yea with the belt the damage stacks with a 2H will be massive. I wonder if this will become similar to the FB/M6 style of set-n-forget then ww through to the next mob, etc.

5. fsj

fsj IncGamers Member

This build sounds pretty fun, with the potential new "tree trunk" (battersmash) mighty weapon that Kevin Martins said he wanted to see in the second panel, should work well with rend. Add in a lamentation as mentioned above and new skull grasp with 441% WW damage and this build could become awesome :)

6. altermaven

That is, if your Skull Grasp decides to choose Whirlwind.

The legendary power of Skull Grasp was to give a massive boost to a single skill. So for Paladins, it could be Shield Bash or Fist of the Heavens taking the cake; or Wizards, Arcane Orb...

I hope that the leg power can be rerolled to another class-specific skill that does damage if you don't get what you want.

IMO, I too would use a Skull Grasp if it rolled Whirlwind for barbarian; but I would also use it if it rolled Seismic Slam or Ancient Spear too.

fsj likes this.
  7. fsj

fsj IncGamers Member

Being perfectly honest I missed that detail. I thought it was a skull grasp unique trait that it would buff WW, with other rings to have other super buffs.

Makes sense really, don't know why that thought didn't occur! Either way it's going to be a bloody nice ring!

8. altermaven

Would actually compete if you're focusing on a single skill, rather than a single element theme -- but as far as range of skills go, I'd have to actually wait until they release what branch of the skill tree the Skull Grasp rolls under.

Considering WW is a Secondary, it could roll for secondaries, but I want more info before I base a decision.

9. clueso

clueso IncGamers Member

I also thought that skull grasp is WW only

10. altermaven

Nope, skull grasp is any one skill from the class for which it drops. As spoken by the devs who presented it. The screenshot is just an example, which happens to have Whirlwind.

11. darkrealm

darkrealm IncGamers Site Pal

Well some more clarification on the ring, the damage is additive, which is a bummer, but still nice.

Also- no new sets for this patch...aren't you thankful yet?

12. altermaven

The PTR is running end Season 1, but without an end on live just yet. So none of the Season 2 stuff is on right now.

Also, the Skull Grasp rework is NOT going to be in the Season 2 patch.

13. mortuus

mortuus Diablo: IncGamers Member

this set will suck ww is meant to be played at a certain flow, pause up to cast rend is just lame...

14. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

But if rend lasts 20 seconds it's not asking you to pause very often. I'm looking forward to testing it out on a PTR once they add in the sets.